Boomtown 2021 thread

jplgc

Just now, eFestivals said:

boomtown starts its build at the beginning of July normally, which makes it 6(ish) weeks. Reading build is 3 weeks I think (it might even be 2, I forget).

Reading build starts around 25th July (give or take a day or so) and in total build/festival/break is 7 weeks. 

• 3 weeks later...

So Boomtown sent me an email, looking they are trying to reassure people it's not cancelled yet while not promising it will go ahead at the same time.

"As we move into 2021 we wanted to say a massive THANK YOU to you, our incredible community, for your support over the last year. Those of you who were able to roll your tickets over have single-handedly been the thing that has kept us going and we are forever grateful to you! 

It was undoubtedly a difficult year and news of our friends at Glastonbury having to cancel has understandably put the future of the rest of the festival season at the forefront of people's minds. 

Thankfully, Boomtown takes place later in the year, which gives us some very welcome breathing space and so we are working hard with government advisors at a national level, exploring all the ways that we might be able to host Boomtown this August... Public safety always comes first but it is also incredibly important to us that we don’t compromise our level of creativity, so it’s about finding that perfect balance. 

At the moment, other than the concept designers who are dreaming up some of the best stage environments we have ever seen, the wider team is currently lying low, ready to spring into action when hopefully things become clearer. ❤️"

Fingers crossed this road map out of lockdown on 22nd feb gives a clear date when they might start, or even a "not before" date. 

Then the budget on 3rd march has support available for festivals throughout spring and early summer.

Cases keep going down and vaccines go up allowing festivals to reactivate booking teams etc around Easter.

4 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Fingers crossed this road map out of lockdown on 22nd feb gives a clear date when they might start, or even a "not before" date. 

Then the budget on 3rd march has support available for festivals throughout spring and early summer.

Cases keep going down and vaccines go up allowing festivals to reactivate booking teams etc around Easter.

i can't see the 2nd happening if the 1st doesn't, unfortunately.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:16 PM, vintagelaureate said:

I'm guessing we will know by the end of March either way do you think?

I think you're probably right.

Been hanging onto the dream of BT happening this year. BT really need it as do festival goers. If it does happen it will be epic for obvious reasons but my optimism is gradually evaporating. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Everyone offered a vaccine by end of July and talks of being able to host the euros in full stadia must fill them with confidence about being able to happen. 

End of July is probably on the conservative end of what's realistically possible as well. 

Today I also got my first shifts confirmed as a volunteer vaccinator. Doing everything I can to get us all into a festival this summer.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I think you're probably right.

Been hanging onto the dream of BT happening this year. BT really need it as do festival goers. If it does happen it will be epic for obvious reasons but my optimism is gradually evaporating. Fingers crossed.

I dunno, Dusty...

As someone in the healthcare sector, I can feel things getting easier (ICU etc), with hospital cases likely to halve in a month. If you look at the trajectory of vaccination, assuming supply can be maintained, add to that the generally accepted 65-70% population cover for a vaccine to achieve herd immunity, plus 'natural' herd immunity ever increasing (all the university kids who have been infected etc), plus the incredible efficacy figures for Pfizer coming out of Israel, plus the data suggesting reasonable efficacy against variants, plus the data suggesting that, whilst more infectious, the new variants are not obviously more virulent in terms of morbidity and mortality...

*takes a breath*

I've not yet in anyway dismissed Boomtown as a go-er for 2021.

The key element will be the organisers' confidence to take a punt on it when they have to commit in April/May, when things might look positive, but not guaranteed.

One imagines that if they did that and then, for whatever reason(s) it did go tits up, that BT might be toast.

I've got Shambala tickets too, for a fortnight later, so.........

Ben

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

There's been rumours festivals line BT might be toast no matter if they can't run this year. So surely that increases their risk appetite, because if it does go tits up the outcome is the same as if they were more cautious.

I agree with this - very much feel that if Boomtown doesn't happen this year that might be it, at least in their current guise.

With the recent progress in vaccines and CoVid hospitalisations dropping I'm starting to get cautiously optimistic that BT may happen.

Just imagine how bonkers it will be if it does. It'll be the first event where the animals are finally out of their cages again!

Fingers crossed.

Edited by Sawdusty Surfer
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah im definitely leaning towards an optimistic stance. The slightest increase in hope following todays announcement will probably lead to me biting the bullet and purchasing my ticket.

Boomtowns the one i need back the most. Not sure theres another festival where the walk between the stages to see acts is as exciting as actually watching them!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Hi guys, newbie here thinking of trying this festival as a substitute to Glastonbury this year, any thoughts on who's playing this year?

It really won't matter who's playing. If Boomtown happens it will be The Party of 2021 and go off like you won't believe.

If your decision to go is dependent on lineup then maybe it's not the festival for you.