Boomtown 2021 thread

jplgc

25 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Have the WHP / Parklife used the loop before? 

Its been ages since ive been either but im sure i remember so form of amnesty bin at the WHP one night.

Not sure about Parklife / WHP but the parent company, LN / FR have used the Loop at its events in the past. Melvin scrapped it in 2018 I think

Jon Drape (Broadwick, Ground Control, ex Global festivals) is one of the people that run The Loop I believe. Ground Control used to run the Parklife festival site, not sure they still run the festival site with LN taking over. 

Edited by JBarbour

He's been to a festival in 1971, he knows all about them 😜

Sorry, that feels mean but I thought it was funny the way he said it.

They have brought up how a fuss was made about fishing which is fairly small and not the music industry which is a lot bigger. Good!

Edited by jump

5 hours ago, jump said:

I noticed there's a link on the article to watch the committee discuss it live if anyone is interested in it.

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/672c567b-68ee-444e-b3d8-3dbd65f907b7

three times at least it was heavily hinted that there is likely to be no events in 2021. Telling that Parklife's Sasha was told the panel couldn't foresee that 18-23 year olds would have been vaccinated by September.

5 minutes ago, 5co77ie said:

three times at least it was heavily hinted that there is likely to be no events in 2021. Telling that Parklife's Sasha was told the panel couldn't foresee that 18-23 year olds would have been vaccinated by September.

So the plan isn't to sacrifice the younglings for the festival then?

12 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

So is the consensus that Boomtown isnt looking too promising? @mr flow?

If this year is cancelled, will they get through to next year?

If this years festival doesn't go ahead, I don't see it continuing in the current format. I would expect the festival to continue in some way, but it would be heavily scaled back, and possibly at a new location.

I know that Chris and Lak are determined to carry on, but guessing they would have to lay off staff if they have no income for a 2nd year running. 

On 1/6/2021 at 10:28 AM, mr flow said:

If this years festival doesn't go ahead, I don't see it continuing in the current format. I would expect the festival to continue in some way, but it would be heavily scaled back, and possibly at a new location.

I know that Chris and Lak are determined to carry on, but guessing they would have to lay off staff if they have no income for a 2nd year running. 

Absolutely rubbish news, feel for the organisers and workforce as it's beyond their control.

What's confidence levels like on this year?

20 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Absolutely rubbish news, feel for the organisers and workforce as it's beyond their control.

What's confidence levels like on this year?

It's changing on a daily basis, so not sure anyone can have any confidence either way. Next few months will be critical though. If we are in the same position as we are now by end of Feb, i think you will see a number of festivals having to cancel. The good thing for Boomtown is it's mid August, so have a little bit more time that some of the festivals in June or July.

• 2 weeks later...

Appreciate any responses will probably be purely speculative, but when do people think a definitive decision will be made?

If festivals are on this summer then Boomtown is on the cards for me. Issue is i don't want to commit to a ticket just yet (already sitting on 4 from last year) but also don't want to miss out if the festival quickly sells out when the picture becomes clearer. 

Im currently 50/50 on whether festivals will take place this year, and i cant imaging that increasing until a festival actually takes place....

21 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Appreciate any responses will probably be purely speculative, but when do people think a definitive decision will be made?

there's a point where festivals have to start spending money to push ahead with the festival, but as everyone has possible cancellation in mind organisers will try to push that down the road as far as they can.

Festivals are unlikely to cancel before they're having to spend money, and some will spend some money anyway to keep the possibility of going ahead on track. Take your pick for where boomtown might be with those possibilities.

Their big visible spend starts at the beginning of July with the site build, although there might be a lot of stuff that needs paying for before then.

Me, I think it's unlikely they'll cancel before May (if they're going to cancel, of course), although that's purely a guess.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

there's a point where festivals have to start spending money to push ahead with the festival, but as everyone has possible cancellation in mind organisers will try to push that down the road as far as they can.

Festivals are unlikely to cancel before they're having to spend money, and some will spend some money anyway to keep the possibility of going ahead on track. Take your pick for where boomtown might be with those possibilities.

Their big visible spend starts at the beginning of July with the site build, although there might be a lot of stuff that needs paying for before then.

Me, I think it's unlikely they'll cancel before May (if they're going to cancel, of course), although that's purely a guess.

Thanks for the detailed response.

So do you anticipate each festival releasing a statement confirming their festival is 100% on? For me to fully commit i feel it'll require either a statement from the festival or for another similar capacity festival to have already taken place, whichever of those comes first. 

Looks like the waiting game will have to continue a little longer. Thankfully i've got a dedicated 'Festivals' savings pot on Monzo, so as soon as it gets the go ahead ill be straight in for a ticket.

3 minutes ago, TheFullShaboo said:

So do you anticipate each festival releasing a statement confirming their festival is 100% on?

I guess there'll be some of that from some festivals, although the default state is that all festivals are on until they say they're not - so they don't really need to say they're going ahead.

I think it's impossible to say for any specific event. I expect at some point it'll become clear that festivals will be able to go ahead in 1/2/3 months time, and if a festival looks like it'll be able to go ahead at that future time they'll probably shout about it.

And when they do, any remaining tickets will be snapped up sharpish.

1 hour ago, TheFullShaboo said:

Thanks for the detailed response.

So do you anticipate each festival releasing a statement confirming their festival is 100% on? For me to fully commit i feel it'll require either a statement from the festival or for another similar capacity festival to have already taken place, whichever of those comes first. 

Looks like the waiting game will have to continue a little longer. Thankfully i've got a dedicated 'Festivals' savings pot on Monzo, so as soon as it gets the go ahead ill be straight in for a ticket.

They’ve got it in their T&Cs any cancellation due to COVID will be refunded. I’ve got mine on the instalment plan as I didn’t want to shell out the full £200 straight away,  I think by the time the last instalment is due I will know if it is going ahead or not.

https://www.boomtownfair.co.uk/terms-and-conditions/#admission

Condition 1.5A 

1.5A Cancellation or Postponement as a result of Covid 19. If the festival is cancelled or postponed before it has started due to the Covid 19 pandemic then you will be eligible for a refund in line with clause 1.5 above.  In the event of postponement of the festival before it has started, and where it  is rescheduled to another date, the ticket holder may elect to either use the existing ticket for the rescheduled date or apply for a refund. Refunds under these circumstances must be applied for within 3 months of the date of cancellation/postponement via our ticket provider, TicketSellers. Any refund requests must be made by the original purchaser of the ticket.

Glasto just cancelled. Can't see boomtown going ahead now as they will need an answer around now as to whether they can go ahead and with Glastonbury not getting the backing it wanted then I think Boomtown don't stand a chance.

Sad times but not unexpected 

1 minute ago, jplgc said:

Glasto just cancelled. Can't see boomtown going ahead now as they will need an answer around now as to whether they can go ahead and with Glastonbury not getting the backing it wanted then I think Boomtown don't stand a chance.

Sad times but not unexpected 

Boomtown is 2 months later and has less to organise. If Glastonbury can last till now before making a decision, Boomtown doesn't need to make a decision for at least 2 months.

27 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

If Boomtown are cancelling, they’ll announce it by April I imagine before the instalments kick back in.

if they don’t go ahead, I would fear for their future in their current form with no income for two years.

I imagine it will be the end of the boomtown.

The downsize this year is due to financial constraints (no matter how they try and spin it to you)

I fear for them, got some of the best memories of my life at that festival

51 minutes ago, Jp2021 said:

I imagine it will be the end of the boomtown.

The downsize this year is due to financial constraints (no matter how they try and spin it to you)

I fear for them, got some of the best memories of my life at that festival

I’m glad I got to go in 2019, @eFestivals hasn’t boomtown got a long build though so could make it less likely than say reading 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

boomtown starts its build at the beginning of July normally, which makes it 6(ish) weeks. Reading build is 3 weeks I think (it might even be 2, I forget).

Wow that’s crazy they can build all that at boomtown in 6 weeks, the detail makes it look like it’s spent months to build