Festival medical services

Sdsm123

Hi all,

I am starting a degree in paramedic science after deciding that a career being a chartered accountant isn’t fulfilling enough, I was wondering if anyone works or has worked for festival medical services and If there is any roles available for first year paramedic students whether that being first aid or another role! Appreciate the insight if anyone knows

cheers 

Stu

20 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

Hi all,

I am starting a degree in paramedic science after deciding that a career being a chartered accountant isn’t fulfilling enough, I was wondering if anyone works or has worked for festival medical services and If there is any roles available for first year paramedic students whether that being first aid or another role! Appreciate the insight if anyone knows

cheers 

Stu

I am sure if you contacted the festival office they would give you info and a contact in the medical services. 

26 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A worthy career change.

All the best with it.

Cheers I’ve been contemplating if for a long time, fed up of saving people on their taxes and would rather devote my career to helping the NHS and giving back to the service who have helped me with a lot!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I am sure if you contacted the festival office they would give you info and a contact in the medical services. 

Cheers I was just wondering if we have anyone of this great forum who knows anything about it 

1 hour ago, Sdsm123 said:

Hi all,

cheers 

Stu

I went the other way, well not to accounting to education but I used to work on the ambulances for a good few years. 

One really useful thing you can do, and this doesn't apply to your thread, is join up with St. John's Ambulance and do some of their major events - football, race meets etc. Can give you some invaluable experience in your first year training. 

I imagine you'd need a pre hospital certificate rather than just a first aid one for festival medical services, you can't get any of those in your first year. It's worth checking though as I'm several years out of practice.

Good luck. 

Edited by vintagelaureate

7 minutes ago, vintagelaureate said:

I went the other way, well not to accounting to education but I used to work on the ambulances for a good few years. 

One really useful thing you can do, and this doesn't apply to your thread, is join up with St. John's Ambulance and do some of their major events - football, race meets etc. Can give you some invaluable experience in your first year training. 

I imagine you'd need a pre hospital certificate rather than just a first aid one for festival medical services, you can't get any of those in your first year. It's worth checking though as I'm several years out of practice.

Good luck. 

Cheers I really appreciate that! Yes I’m looking at St Johns ambulance but waiting till I start my course to see whether I’ll have the time and if there’s anything local to Sheffield! Obviously living in Cheltenham the big one would be the races! What made you do the change?

54 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

Cheers I was just wondering if we have anyone of this great forum who knows anything about it 

We definitely have at least one person, but I can't quite remember who it is right now.

They also have a website with some info on requirements and how to volunteer.

2 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

Cheers I really appreciate that! Yes I’m looking at St Johns ambulance but waiting till I start my course to see whether I’ll have the time and if there’s anything local to Sheffield! Obviously living in Cheltenham the big one would be the races! What made you do the change?

A few reasons, but don't get me wrong I loved it.

Mainly, I was really ill (as in the only thing that stopped me dying was an adrenaline needle to the chest and subsequent surgery) and spent a while in hospital, made me re-evaluate what I was doing. I don't know if I could have faced going back to the 12 hour shift pattern even If I was able. I was redeployed for a while into a different role (when I went back to work) but it wasn't for me. So I retrained as a mature student. It worked out well as I've since had two children and got to spend a lot more time with them than I would have otherwise.

It's a rewarding career but it's hard, and it undoubtedly changed my emotional outlook on things. You have to be able to detach yourself from situations. 

Sheffield will have both the football grounds, and depending where you looked at basing yourself you've access to surrounding cities too. 

If you need any advice or want to ask anything feel free.

Edited by vintagelaureate
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

There’s plenty of call  in Sheffield for St John’s Ambulance during normal times - two well-supported football teams, a few open air festivals (of varying sizes but including Tramlines), music venues etc, etc.  We’re not in normal times (obviously) but hopefully will be closer to them by the time you feel settled-in enough to volunteer.  

12 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

Hi all,

cheers 

Stu

Good morning Stu,

Im the small event ambulance coordinator for FMS. We would love to have you on board with us. Please email me on Peter.Jordan@festival-Medical.org for details.

Look forward to seeing you in a field next year.

Best wishes.

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, westholtschic said:

Good morning Stu,

Im the small event ambulance coordinator for FMS. We would love to have you on board with us. Please email me on Peter.Jordan@festival-Medical.org for details.

Best wishes.

Lovely! I’ll drop you an email! Thanks so much for getting in touch 😃

13 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

A few reasons, but don't get me wrong I loved it.

Mainly, I was really ill (as in the only thing that stopped me dying was an adrenaline needle to the chest and subsequent surgery) and spent a while in hospital, made me re-evaluate what I was doing. I don't know if I could have faced going back to the 12 hour shift pattern even If I was able. I was redeployed for a while into a different role (when I went back to work) but it wasn't for me. So I retrained as a mature student. It worked out well as I've since had two children and got to spend a lot more time with them than I would have otherwise.

It's a rewarding career but it's hard, and it undoubtedly changed my emotional outlook on things. You have to be able to detach yourself from situations. 

Sheffield will have both the football grounds, and depending where you looked at basing yourself you've access to surrounding cities too. 

If you need any advice or want to ask anything feel free.

Really sorry to hear that mate! Thanks for the advise, hope your feeling much better now!

5 hours ago, westholtschic said:

Good morning Stu,

Best wishes.

I’ve dropped you an email 😁

One of my friends is a qualified pharmacist and she worked for FMS for many years at Glastonbury.  Everything I hear about them is top notch positive.  There are also other medical organisation who work at festivals - possibly not in the same league as FMS but even the smaller festivals require some sort of medical presence so there may be other opportunities as well.  Good luck.

• Upvote 1