Joan Armatrading

Cherry Tree

Watching the Joan Armatrading Documentary on BBC4, seen her live 3 or 4 times, including a early afternoon slot at IOW, she also played Glastonbury in 71. We talk about female and black representation in 2020 but she has been doing her stuff for 50 years. It could be argued whether she gets the recognition that her talent and back catalogue deserves. 

With next year being the 50th anniversary of her first Glastonbury performance, she would truly justify a slot, and not as a token gesture because she is black and female, but because she is one of the most talented musicians, singer/songwriters that the UK ha produced in the last 60 years.

A few months ago, right around the time lockdown started, Neil posted a video of her performance of 'Love and Affection' at Glasto in 08. I don't know how many times I have since watched that performance, or listened to that song, but it brings joyful tears to my eyes every. single. time.

If Glastonbury goes ahead next year, and Joan were to be performing, it would undoubtedly be too perfect.

45 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

A few months ago, right around the time lockdown started, Neil posted a video of her performance of 'Love and Affection' at Glasto in 08. I don't know how many times I have since watched that performance, or listened to that song, but it brings joyful tears to my eyes every. single. time.

If Glastonbury goes ahead next year, and Joan were to be performing, it would undoubtedly be too perfect.

Fun fact: Clarke Peters, best known as Lester Freamon off The Wire, is one of the ‘o gim-me love oo-hoo’ backing singers (albeit not in the Glastonbury clip!).

55 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

the whole set had the crowd in tears.

One of those Glastonbury moments. Right up there as one of the very best.

Edited by eFestivals

4 hours ago, Quark said:

This. Very much this :lol:

Christ, you post an innocent article whilst watching a documentary about Joan Armatrading and get pilloried for the thread title. Does anyone know how to change the thread title to "Joan Armatrading, they are showing a documentary, I am not saying she will play Glastonbury, oh and by the way she hasn’t died"😡

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

Christ, you post an innocent article whilst watching a documentary about Joan Armatrading and get pilloried for the thread title. Does anyone know how to change the thread title to "Joan Armatrading, they are showing a documentary, I am not saying she will play Glastonbury, oh and by the way she hasn’t died"😡

This very much this :) 

14 hours ago, Cherry Tree said:

3 people, one with a laughing face and two with a pretty clear tongue in cheek, hardly counts as pilloried. Have a cuppa and cool your boots.

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i snuck into that for about 10 minutes, then I had to go home for my tea. 

Let’s not get into our relative ages......let’s just say I was a mature teenager..... 🙄