Jump to content

Joan Armatrading


Recommended Posts

Watching the Joan Armatrading Documentary on BBC4, seen her live 3 or 4 times, including a early afternoon slot at IOW, she also played Glastonbury in 71. We talk about female and black representation in 2020 but she has been doing her stuff for 50 years. It could be argued whether she gets the recognition that her talent and back catalogue deserves. 

With next year being the 50th anniversary of her first Glastonbury performance, she would truly justify a slot, and not as a token gesture because she is black and female, but because she is one of the most talented musicians, singer/songwriters that the UK ha produced in the last 60 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A few months ago, right around the time lockdown started, Neil posted a video of her performance of 'Love and Affection' at Glasto in 08. I don't know how many times I have since watched that performance, or listened to that song, but it brings joyful tears to my eyes every. single. time.

If Glastonbury goes ahead next year, and Joan were to be performing, it would undoubtedly be too perfect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

A few months ago, right around the time lockdown started, Neil posted a video of her performance of 'Love and Affection' at Glasto in 08. I don't know how many times I have since watched that performance, or listened to that song, but it brings joyful tears to my eyes every. single. time.

If Glastonbury goes ahead next year, and Joan were to be performing, it would undoubtedly be too perfect.

Fun fact: Clarke Peters, best known as Lester Freamon off The Wire, is one of the ‘o gim-me love oo-hoo’ backing singers (albeit not in the Glastonbury clip!).

Link to post
Share on other sites

i've seen her twice at Glastonbury, West Holts in 2008, and 1992 on the Pyramid... and both times she was absolutely fantastic. The west holts one was particularly good.

Shame there's not much on youtube, but there are these...

(audio only, 1992 full set)

2008

 

Edited by eFestivals
Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, WestCountryGirl said:

A few months ago, right around the time lockdown started, Neil posted a video of her performance of 'Love and Affection' at Glasto in 08. I don't know how many times I have since watched that performance, or listened to that song, but it brings joyful tears to my eyes every. single. time.

If Glastonbury goes ahead next year, and Joan were to be performing, it would undoubtedly be too perfect.

the whole set had the crowd in tears.

One of those Glastonbury moments. Right up there as one of the very best.

Edited by eFestivals
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Don't do that to me! Not with such a seasoned performer anyway. I wish you'd put "documentary" in the subject!

This. Very much this :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quark said:

This. Very much this :lol:

Christ, you post an innocent article whilst watching a documentary about Joan Armatrading and get pilloried for the thread title. Does anyone know how to change the thread title to "Joan Armatrading, they are showing a documentary, I am not saying she will play Glastonbury, oh and by the way she hasn’t died"😡

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cherry Tree said:

Christ, you post an innocent article whilst watching a documentary about Joan Armatrading and get pilloried for the thread title. Does anyone know how to change the thread title to "Joan Armatrading, they are showing a documentary, I am not saying she will play Glastonbury, oh and by the way she hasn’t died"😡

This very much this :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Cherry Tree said:

Christ, you post an innocent article whilst watching a documentary about Joan Armatrading and get pilloried for the thread title. Does anyone know how to change the thread title to "Joan Armatrading, they are showing a documentary, I am not saying she will play Glastonbury, oh and by the way she hasn’t died"😡

3 people, one with a laughing face and two with a pretty clear tongue in cheek, hardly counts as pilloried. Have a cuppa and cool your boots.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have only seen Joan once before but always liked her. Pretty amazing concert mind you.......

was a big fan of Graham Parker 😀

image.jpeg.d312cb8e0fce7044ccf5cf138d872094.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chuckles07 said:

I have only seen Joan once before but always liked her. Pretty amazing concert mind you.......

was a big fan of Graham Parker 😀

image.jpeg.d312cb8e0fce7044ccf5cf138d872094.jpeg

i snuck into that for about 10 minutes, then I had to go home for my tea. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

i snuck into that for about 10 minutes, then I had to go home for my tea. 

Let’s not get into our relative ages......let’s just say I was a mature teenager..... 🙄

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...