Download 2022

dannymichaels

10 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

what's the point of having a second stage if it doesn't clash with mainstage?

This along with the fact they’ve not bothered to replace drop outs (some with 2 months notice) makes it look like Download-lite. Just looking at the flash finder really highlights how poor the lineup is this year. 

The fact that you’ve got some bands playing 25min slots is ridiculous, just so everyone can be squeezed in before Iron Maiden play. Steve Harris’ dull as dishwater other band have got a 40min set in the middle of the day on the 4th stage which causes all of the other acts to get 25min slots.

It’s not just the Maiden day either. There should always be several options of where to end your day and taking all but one of those away (all in Saturday’s case) really weakens your lineup IMO. Then again, they’ve got our money already, haven’t they. Why would they organise replacement bands or even shuffle around etc when they don’t have to, eh?  

I’ve said this before but the only reason I’m going this year is because I haven’t had to buy my ticket as it has been rolled over from 2020. Unless there’s a serious shakeup next year, I won’t be returning to Donington until things change. 

59 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

This along with the fact they’ve not bothered to replace drop outs (some with 2 months notice) makes it look like Download-lite. Just looking at the flash finder really highlights how poor the lineup is this year. 

The fact that you’ve got some bands playing 25min slots is ridiculous, just so everyone can be squeezed in before Iron Maiden play. Steve Harris’ dull as dishwater other band have got a 40min set in the middle of the day on the 4th stage which causes all of the other acts to get 25min slots.

It’s not just the Maiden day either. There should always be several options of where to end your day and taking all but one of those away (all in Saturday’s case) really weakens your lineup IMO. Then again, they’ve got our money already, haven’t they. Why would they organise replacement bands or even shuffle around etc when they don’t have to, eh?  

I’ve said this before but the only reason I’m going this year is because I haven’t had to buy my ticket as it has been rolled over from 2020. Unless there’s a serious shakeup next year, I won’t be returning to Donington until things change. 

Yeah the set lengths are atrocious. The two that stuck out to me are Sepultura headlining but only getting 40 mins and Bokassa getting only 25 mins is really damaging for them as when you go to their own shows half of it is them bantering with the crowd (and they are actually funny) so they you'd be lucky to get two/three songs out of them.

18 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah the set lengths are atrocious. The two that stuck out to me are Sepultura headlining but only getting 40 mins and Bokassa getting only 25 mins is really damaging for them as when you go to their own shows half of it is them bantering with the crowd (and they are actually funny) so they you'd be lucky to get two/three songs out of them.

Bleed From Within and Venom Prison being two hyped bands and getting only 25 minutes is insane. Not to mention that they’ve been shoved on the lowest stage yet again. 

Sepultura and Electric Wizard headlining a stage and getting 40 mins is mental too. Electric Wizard will legit only get to play like 4 songs in that time. They should both be getting 60/70mins. 

There’s a full 1 hour and 25 minute wait between Deftones and Maiden. Surely they could have stuck Bleed From Within (who proved at the Pilot they can play big stages) on for half hour early on to make the numbers up on the Main Stage that day. 

1 hour ago, JimMacVeigh said:

Proper infuriates me that they’ve not actually put anyone up against maiden. I like them, but I’ve seen them countless times. 

An option of FFAF or Sepultura while maiden were on would’ve sufficed nicely.  

Do you think they're trying out a soft launch of the double main stage idea? Gets people moving from stage to stage more and spending more at the bars...

1 minute ago, Sparticus said:

Do you think they're trying out a soft launch of the double main stage idea? Gets people moving from stage to stage more and spending more at the bars...

I thought this, you know. I think it’d be something really worth doing at Download where people are in the arena from the get go to see as many bands as possible. Having side-by-side stages like Hellfest would be really cool, I think.

In essence, you’d still have acts like Megadeth headlining the second Main Stage but Hellfest always clearly has one bigger headliner each day so I think it’d work well. Second Stage headliners at DL are by and large packed out so moving them to a bigger stage would pull even bigger crowds. 

3 minutes ago, Sparticus said:

It's just the usual bollocks of them trying to get the biggest crowd possible for the headliners.

If you're gonna do double mainstages then I'd like it to be like Hellfest and have them next to each other rather than pissing about and heading backwards.

harrisleo on Twitter: "#HELLFEST Aerial view HF 2015 - Main Stages  https://t.co/GCfyiKfGvs" / Twitter

38 minutes ago, jump said:

It's just the usual bollocks of them trying to get the biggest crowd possible for the headliners.

If you're gonna do double mainstages then I'd like it to be like Hellfest and have them next to each other rather than pissing about and heading backwards.

harrisleo on Twitter: "#HELLFEST Aerial view HF 2015 - Main Stages  https://t.co/GCfyiKfGvs" / Twitter

Yeah, I think that’d work well at DL. With them renaming the top two stages the Apex and Opus, that sounds a bit double Main Stage-y to me, rather than being called MS1 & MS2, for example. Would likely ease some acts’ egos. 

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Bleed From Within and Venom Prison being two hyped bands and getting only 25 minutes is insane. Not to mention that they’ve been shoved on the lowest stage yet again. 

Sepultura and Electric Wizard headlining a stage and getting 40 mins is mental too. Electric Wizard will legit only get to play like 4 songs in that time. They should both be getting 60/70mins. 

There’s a full 1 hour and 25 minute wait between Deftones and Maiden. Surely they could have stuck Bleed From Within (who proved at the Pilot they can play big stages) on for half hour early on to make the numbers up on the Main Stage that day. 

Bleed from Within were excellent at DL Pilot and certainly deserve better .  The gap between Deftones and Maiden is mind boggling.  Other than failing to replace bands who dropped out, there's no need for that length of time between acts. 

Edited by Red Day

2 hours ago, Sparticus said:

I’m not sure it would mean more spend at the bars. I presume that the bands would start as soon as the other band finishes on the other stage so If everyone is moving back and forth then there won’t be much time to stop at a bar.

No idea if Reading’s two main stages last year resulted in increased bar takings or not.

If they’ve gone big for the 20th edition, a side-by-side main stage setup with something like this would be tasty: 

APEX: My Chemical Romance / The Offspring / Don Broco

OPUS: Ghost / Halestorm / The Pretty Reckless 

APEX: Slipknot / Trivium / Killswitch Engage 

OPUS: Bring Me The Horizon / Gojira / While She Sleeps 

APEX: Rage Against The Machine / Limp Bizkit / Enter Shikari  

OPUS: Parkway Drive / Disturbed / Sabaton 

The following year, you could start pushing bands like Alter Bridge, FFDP and Architects up to OPUS headliner status. 

Upgrade the size of the tents for the 3rd and 4th stages and I reckon it’d be a good time. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, Sparticus said:

If they have, they need to go the whole hog and do two main stages side to side, as people have commented on earlier in this thread.

Just looking at my tour tracking apps and there’s so many UK based bands who are active/already rehearsed for festival season and free next weekend it’s proper odd they couldn’t find anyone to replace the pulls out. You count yourselves lucky they even bothered to replace The Distillers.

40 minutes ago, jump said:

Just looking at my tour tracking apps and there’s so many UK based bands who are active/already rehearsed for festival season and free next weekend it’s proper odd they couldn’t find anyone to replace the pulls out. You count yourselves lucky they even bothered to replace The Distillers.

I don’t actually think that they did replace Distillers.

I reckon Frank Carter was always booked and was due to play third down main stage (as announced the previous year) but they put Skindred there once there was doubts about The Distillers.

Though I suppose you could say that indirectly Skindred  have replaced Distillers.

18 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

I don’t actually think that they did replace Distillers.

I reckon Frank Carter was always booked and was due to play third down main stage (as announced the previous year) but they put Skindred there once there was doubts about The Distillers.

Though I suppose you could say that indirectly Skindred  have replaced Distillers.

I had assumed Frankie C was booked for next year as he had that UK tour to promote when Download were announcing plus he just did Download last year.