Download 2022

dannymichaels

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah I went to that, shit bar queues but a great day otherwise.

It seems abit too small for 'tellica though. It's only 40k people and they are booking people the size of George Ezra there next year. Not impossible but they could just do a stadium show for more people.

I've always kinda expected Metallica to commit to becoming Dad's rock and headline Isle Of Wight one day since when they want to they can have a huge capacity and huge headliners with a day filled with Thin Lizzy, UFO, Slade etc on the line up but I doubt it would be next year.

Have you seen IOW’s lineups over the last few years? No chance they can pull someone in the size of Metallica these days. 

R&L 2022 for Metallica, followed by DL2023 doesn’t seem a bad shout. 

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Have you seen IOW’s lineups over the last few years? No chance they can pull someone in the size of Metallica these days. 

R&L 2022 for Metallica, followed by DL2023 doesn’t seem a bad shout. 

Yeah the last few years have been complete shit. Last time I went it was Prodigy, Black Keys, Blur and Fleetwood Mac compared to now of them having Lionel Richie it's a joke. 

I reckon IOW will have to give themselves a kick up the arse sooner or later and start booking like they are a festival that actually matters again as at max capacity they should be pulling way bigger acts.

1 hour ago, foolee said:

If you think Graspop makes Download look bad don’t look at the Hellfest lineup. 

Haha well Hellfest is blowing every other fest out of the field next year. But asides from Aerosmith it's strange Download aren't getting all the bands Graspop are. I wonder if some will be at a Knotfest UK but still. 

9 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Haha well Hellfest is blowing every other fest out of the field next year. But asides from Aerosmith it's strange Download aren't getting all the bands Graspop are. I wonder if some will be at a Knotfest UK but still. 

It’s bizarre with so many heavy bands touring Europe that Download isn’t a better lineup. I think some must be at Knotfest UK, more as a Metallica support (BST or day event) and Avenged Sevenfold will pop up somewhere as well unless they just do a couple of arena shows.

There’s enough bands touring that there’s a bit of a gap in the market or scope for another Download weekend.

Edited by foolee

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Download should do themselves a favour and move Spiritbox to a mainstage spot. They are getting alot of attention and tucked away on 4th is a wasted opportunity. 

They never do this. Every year since about 2016, they’ve the exciting, up and coming bands with lots of hype around them on the third and fourth stages. They don’t give a shit about promoting newer, younger bands full stop - not just headliners. Code Orange being on second next year is a madness. They’re a main stage band. 

Speaking of acts on the lower stages I've surprised Bokassa aren't bigger. I would have thought Metalica having them as their support on tour would put a rocket on them but they are still playing the same venues. If 'tallica see enough in an almost unknown band to open for them you'd think that would be good enough for Download too.

46 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

They never do this. Every year since about 2016, they’ve the exciting, up and coming bands with lots of hype around them on the third and fourth stages. They don’t give a shit about promoting newer, younger bands full stop - not just headliners. Code Orange being on second next year is a madness. They’re a main stage band. 

Yeah it's very frustrating. I know I disagree with you over some potential headliners but yeah deffo agree they don't do anywhere near enough to promote new bands.

7 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yeah it's very frustrating. I know I disagree with you over some potential headliners but yeah deffo agree they don't do anywhere near enough to promote new bands.

those bands doesn't have to be necessarily future headliners, but look at Trivium for example. they were almost unknown and played very early on mainstage in 2005 and according to the band that show boosted their career

• 2 weeks later...