Download 2022

dannymichaels

10 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Maybe so but they weren't playing them when they were booked to play 3rd so it's a different game now. Gojira also seem to have a lot of tickets left for every venue.

Many people fed up of rescheduled gigs though so probs waiting before they buy. Especially gigs which require work days to be booked off.

7 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Many people fed up of rescheduled gigs though so probs waiting before they buy. Especially gigs which require work days to be booked off.

I require Sunday and Monday but I already booked Monday based off of current rota at the time.

I don't think they are, other gigs are flying out now and it's currently now much less chance of a resale. Bands have played arena dates before, it doesn't necessarily mean they are really the size for them, Frank Turner beig an obvious one.

20 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

Yeah that's what I've been doing where I will just wait as tixs were selling slowly in general and I was half expecting them to be rescheduled anyway but then I got burned by waiting too long for some shows and Halestorm, Green Day/Weezer, Hands Off Gretel and Creeper sold out by the time I felt more comfortable getting them.

13 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I require Sunday and Monday but I already booked Monday based off of current rota at the time.

I don't think they are, other gigs are flying out now and it's currently now much less chance of a resale. Bands have played arena dates before, it doesn't necessarily mean they are really the size for them, Frank Turner beig an obvious one.

Frankie T is too much of an odd one to use as an example as he's constantly touring and playing shows without worrying about how big his logo is on the festival poster and hitting the cities/venues other bands scoff at. He does acoustic shows, ones with his band and duo shows too, hitting multiple festivals and even during the last year of covid he's still managed to play more gigs than alot of other bands do when you can't play gigs. He deserves full kudos for having that kind of ethic and passion.

Now compare that to an act from the US that tours here every 3-6 years, plays 5 shows and still doesn't sell out the smaller arenas but we still talk about how big they are. If he played on that kind of schdule he would be playing nothing but arenas too.

In any case who gives a fuck if the band plays Brixton or Wembley, if they fit the slot then they fit the slot.

• 2 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, JSmurphy said:

Metallica playing Download Germany. What am I missing here? Did Download jump the gun announcing their headliners? 

Copping has said he has 3 big headliners for 2023 already. SOAD are probably one. Other 2 my thinking is Metallica and then either Rammstein or RATM. Rammstein maybe more likely will have a new album to promote and would have just done stadiums.

1 minute ago, Spiral_Low said:

Copping has said he has 3 big headliners for 2023 already. SOAD are probably one. Other 2 my thinking is Metallica and then either Rammstein or RATM. Rammstein maybe more likely will have a new album to promote and would have just done stadiums.

I'm bit sick of seeing System and Rage at festivals, make the fuckers tour the country with their own shows!

That one Wembley show System did was an instant sell out and I was so annoyed as it's not even the biggest London arena so another 8k people could have seen them.

2 hours ago, JSmurphy said:

Metallica playing Download Germany. What am I missing here? Did Download jump the gun announcing their headliners? 

the rumour since the end of 2020 was that Metallica would be doing end june/early july festivals (Werchter, Hellfest 2) in 2022 and comeback the following year to do another round of festivals, maybe Rock Am Ring/Im Park, Nova Rock, Download and Graspop

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jump said:

I'm bit sick of seeing System and Rage at festivals, make the fuckers tour the country with their own shows!

That one Wembley show System did was an instant sell out and I was so annoyed as it's not even the biggest London arena so another 8k people could have seen them.

Understandable! But does kinda make sense for them I guess... fewer shows for bigger return. 

33 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Understandable! But does kinda make sense for them I guess... fewer shows for bigger return. 

With Rage I can see that as it's 3 tours over 13ish years but as this point with System they are touring pretty frequently any way. If they aren't gonna record a new album then I would at least like them to hit as many of their fans as possible with a proper tour.

4 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

I think he's got Rage, SOAD and Slipknot. I don't think he'll get Metallica.

13 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

Metallica are so huge that live nation is creating new festivals in Germany and Swtizerland just to have them playing because they want to do an all festival tour. Maybe a new one day festival will pop up in UK next year

I'm kinda surprised they have never done a Download South. I'm not talking about a dual site thing like R&L but a one day fest in London in a park or sorta like Ozzfest and have it in The O2 with the Indigo as a 2nd stage with a Download logo as there's a lack of heavy events compared to the dozens of rap, dance and indy day fests that go on. Although saying that when British Summer Time had Green Day and Black Sabbath those line ups were fantastic.

140401_hydepark

2017-07-01 Green Day - Hyde Park 01

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, jump said:

I'm kinda surprised they have never done a Download South. I'm not talking about a dual site thing like R&L but a one day fest in London in a park or sorta like Ozzfest and have it in The O2 with the Indigo as a 2nd stage with a Download logo as there's a lack of heavy events compared to the dozens of rap, dance and indy day fests that go on. Although saying that when British Summer Time had Green Day and Black Sabbath those line ups were fantastic.

140401_hydepark

2017-07-01 Green Day - Hyde Park 01

there was some finsbury park gigs too like QOTSA with Iggy Pop and Run The Jewels in 2018. i'm thinking Metallica will end up playing at some park in London with acts like A7X and FFDP in a new festival that will soon disappear in 2023

2 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

there was some finsbury park gigs too like QOTSA with Iggy Pop and Run The Jewels in 2018. i'm thinking Metallica will end up playing at some park in London with acts like A7X and FFDP in a new festival that will soon disappear in 2023

Yeah I went to that, shit bar queues but a great day otherwise.

It seems abit too small for 'tellica though. It's only 40k people and they are booking people the size of George Ezra there next year. Not impossible but they could just do a stadium show for more people.

I've always kinda expected Metallica to commit to becoming Dad's rock and headline Isle Of Wight one day since when they want to they can have a huge capacity and huge headliners with a day filled with Thin Lizzy, UFO, Slade etc on the line up but I doubt it would be next year.

3 minutes ago, jump said:

Yeah I went to that, shit bar queues but a great day otherwise.

It seems abit too small for 'tellica though. It's only 40k people and they are booking people the size of George Ezra there next year. Not impossible but they could just do a stadium show for more people.

I've always kinda expected Metallica to commit to becoming Dad's rock and headline Isle Of Wight one day since when they want to they can have a huge capacity and huge headliners with a day filled with Thin Lizzy, UFO, Slade etc on the line up but I doubt it would be next year.

Have you seen IOW’s lineups over the last few years? No chance they can pull someone in the size of Metallica these days. 

R&L 2022 for Metallica, followed by DL2023 doesn’t seem a bad shout. 

7 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Have you seen IOW’s lineups over the last few years? No chance they can pull someone in the size of Metallica these days. 

R&L 2022 for Metallica, followed by DL2023 doesn’t seem a bad shout. 

Yeah the last few years have been complete shit. Last time I went it was Prodigy, Black Keys, Blur and Fleetwood Mac compared to now of them having Lionel Richie it's a joke. 

I reckon IOW will have to give themselves a kick up the arse sooner or later and start booking like they are a festival that actually matters again as at max capacity they should be pulling way bigger acts.