Download 2022

dannymichaels

On 3/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, jump said:

It's been said before but it's puzzling how dull Download's bookings are even when you consider they have a very narrow view of rawk. In June the same month I've got tixs to see Nine Inch Nails, Green Day & Weezer, Alexisonfire & others at Slam Dunk and Jack White already so Download being so shit works out great for to me a have a rest! 

I guess it's all about the coin.

If a band prefers to do arena's than Download, and they can pull a good audience, then I'd assume that it's a) financially more attractive, and b) much less fannying around.

So what's the solution?  LiveNation increase Download's budget?  Or use their monopoly on touring bands to persuade them  that the festival is good for them?

Who knows? I certainly don't.

As much as I dislike Copping's insistence on booking tired old dinosaurs, he can only work with what's available and/or willing.

On 3/4/2022 at 4:16 PM, scrubbertheman said:

I guess it's all about the coin.

If a band prefers to do arena's than Download, and they can pull a good audience, then I'd assume that it's a) financially more attractive, and b) much less fannying around.

So what's the solution?  LiveNation increase Download's budget?  Or use their monopoly on touring bands to persuade them  that the festival is good for them?

Who knows? I certainly don't.

As much as I dislike Copping's insistence on booking tired old dinosaurs, he can only work with what's available and/or willing.

They could loosen up more on the restrictions around big bands playing other dates around Download. For example Green Day could have headlined as part of their stadium tour instead of it being an either/or situation.

Download have always maintained that strict booking structure & I think that’s the main reason why bands like Foos, Green Day, Pearl Jam, RHCP etc have alluded them so far. 

Download likes to market itself as this broad ‘rock’ festival but it isn’t. It’s a heavy metal and classic rock festival. The headliners you book dictate that and bands like Green Day, Paramore, Blink, Foos, Pearl Jam etc. likely see DL as that kind of festival due to them having the same handful of heavy metal and classic rock bands booked to headline on a carousel and don’t fancy playing it and would rather do R&L or BST, for example.

Those bands also have no ties to that world and don’t see playing Donington as something to tick off the bucket list like many metal bands do. Why play to an audience that isn’t (on paper) going to be there for you when you can play Reading or do your own shows? 

Edited by Andre91

32 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Download likes to market itself as this broad ‘rock’ festival but it isn’t. It’s a heavy metal and classic rock festival. The headliners you book dictate that and bands like Green Day, Paramore, Blink, Foos, Pearl Jam etc. likely see DL as that kind of festival due to them having the same handful of heavy metal and classic rock bands booked to headline on a carousel and don’t fancy playing it and would rather do R&L or BST, for example.

Those bands also have no ties to that world and don’t see playing Donington as something to tick off the bucket list like many metal bands do. Why play to an audience that isn’t (on paper) going to be there for you when you can play Reading or do your own shows? 

I agree it’s a metal & classic rock festival, but I don’t know that I agree entirely with rest of this logic… Dave Grohl has played before, loves classic rock/metal & Foos play plenty of ‘heavy’ festivals in Europe. Green Day & Blink have both played Download Paris, Pearl Jam were booked to play Download in 2013. Most bands of that size probably aren’t even involved in booking their own shows, they’ll play where the agents negotiate the best deals. It’s probably Copping’s unwillingness to shell out for the above names when he can book Def Leppard again for cheaper that’s the issue. 

I quite like this line up AND I enjoyed the Pilot too. People going on about the future really have no idea how Download works. They don't care about the future, they just book the bands that will make them the most money NOW. They'll fleece that recipe until they don't male money. Meanwhile people bleat but don't vote with their feet. It won't change till they do. Or maybe there are just too many people like me. Soz.

On 3/10/2022 at 6:48 PM, Andre91 said:

These days the likes of Blink, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Foos and Chilis and all would go down way better in Download than they would in Reading/Leeds.

7 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

These days the likes of Blink, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Foos and Chilis and all would go down way better in Download than they would in Reading/Leeds.

Oh, for sure. There’s no doubt about that. But do those bands pay enough attention the R&L to realise how much it’s changed and how poorly they’d go down? I doubt it. They’ve always known Reading as the type of festival made for bands like them so likely still see it as such when the offer comes in. 

FWIW, I think bands like Foos, Green Day and Chilis would still go down fantastically at R&L as they have a such a ubiquitous mainstream appeal. 

20 hours ago, rivalschools.price said:

Reading has just sold out on Arctic Monkeys and MTS headlining the only UK Festival she is. Don't fear that these bands wouldn't be booked and be just fine.

• 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

I'm guessing day tickets don't usually sell out fast? Waiting to get paid next week before I can buy mind

The capacity of the fest is huge so it never really sells out so unless you're after campervan or early bird discount tixs there's no rush to buy Download tixs.

I’m thinking of volunteering for the festival, not too bothered about most of the lineup on first sight, more just going for the experience. I recognise a few names, but Biffy are my favourite band and they play on my birthday so that’s the main draw for me (feel free to laugh). I’m generally into grunge/“softer” rock bands like Nirvana, QOTSA, Sabbath, or Shikari. Also familiar with names like Iron Maiden because I played a lot of Guitar Hero as a kid. Does anyone have any recommendations of other bands from across the weekend?

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

The Pretty Reckless have cancelled their summer European tour dates, including Download. 

With so many bands touring they could get a great replacement in but Download have been really shit with that. It's madness that likes of The Offspring and others pull out and they just bump the band below up when there's no so much time and other bands about to get someone else in.

8 minutes ago, jump said:

With so many bands touring they could get a great replacement in but Download have been really shit with that. It's madness that likes of The Offspring and others pull out and they just bump the band below up when there's no so much time and other bands about to get someone else in.

Watch it be some bollocks like Saxon 😂

Mastodon getting moved into that slot would be nice as it would eliminate their likely clash with Deftones. 

Edited by Andre91

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Mastodon getting moved into that slot would be nice as it would eliminate their likely clash with Deftones. 

That would be a day ticket for me, that clash is absolutely horrendous. 

Think Jump is right though, they'll just bump BLS. Or get Clutch. 

Honestly I don't think there will be a band to replace TPR. Each day now has seven bands on the main stage and I think they'll just give them longer sets (or a longer waiting time for each band).

Next year things will hopefully be back to how it used to be, with a fresh lineup. Because in my opinion this is the weakest lineup they've ever had.

6 minutes ago, SweetJesus said:

1C5A87AF-EDD8-405B-8563-89FD660EF7F5.jpeg

Right, let’s not fuck around and do something stupid like bump Airbourne into that slot. That’s one of the biggest slots available at the festival and it deserves a stellar replacement. Get Enter Shikari, Frank Carter or Architects on the phone. 

22 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Right, let’s not fuck around and do something stupid like bump Airbourne into that slot. That’s one of the biggest slots available at the festival and it deserves a stellar replacement. Get Enter Shikari, Frank Carter or Architects on the phone. 

Yeah and to be honest The Distillers weren't big enough for that spot to begin with and only got it as The Offspring weren't replaced.

• Upvote 1