Download 2022

dannymichaels

‘We hear you, Downloaders! We know how much you love Spiritbox and how you’re worried about them being in a tent on the fourth stage and not being able to get in to see them… so we’ve moved them to a slightly bigger tent on the third stage, where you’re still likely to not be able to see them!’

Nice to see the elusive Skindred getting such a high slot. 

This festival. Ugh.  

What a joke. Waiting just to get Skindred so high... Really boring line-up this year. And this new layout...

2 minutes ago, Pottsy2913 said:

I’ve been seeing good things about Spiritbox, can anyone recommend me a few songs by them to get a feel?

Their whole debut album "Eternal Blue" is massive and includes some singles known since a while! Listen to Holly RollerYellowjacket (ft. Sam Carter from Architects), Silk In The Strings and Blessed Be. It will give you a good idea of the band.

It’s depressing to see the absolute drop in quality in DL, honestly. A festival that’s been on my bucket list since I was a teen, but now that I’m older, lineups just do nothing at all for me. The Sunday is the only day I have SOME interest in, and even that doesn’t seem worth the price. Would have killed to go in 2014….

13 minutes ago, Archi said:

What a joke. Waiting just to get Skindred so high... Really boring line-up this year. And this new layout...

Their whole debut album "Eternal Blue" is massive and includes some singles known since a while! Listen to Holly RollerYellowjacket (ft. Sam Carter from Architects), Silk In The Strings and Blessed Be. It will give you a good idea of the band.

Awesome, thanks! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

This festival needs a HARD, HARD reset and if we don't get one next year and it is more of the same, stale, turgid crap yet again, I am out.

It really does.

But I bet the organisers book safe bands just not to piss off the "Off to Bloodstock then" crowd.

5 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Why would you compare Pilot to anything? It wasn't world defining. 

It was one of the best festivals that anybody who went to it has ever been to, I say that with no amount of hyperbole. It was a stunning weekend. And, whilst not ‘world defining’, it was absolutely, without question,  a defining moment for live music in this country. It will forever be a unique part of the history of live music in the UK. If you didn’t go, that’s fine, but you cannot downplay it’s importance. 

Edited by Andre91
  • Upvote 3

I've made (another) lineup for a hypothetical festival using the DL template to rival Download and R/L. Generally takes bands that are too "goff" for Nu-Reading and bands that get shunned by the Download metulz elitists. Slam Dunk/2000trees on a bigger budget.

Main stage is full of modern bands/artists (formed after 1990) that still has loads of young fans. You won't be seeing the likes of Def Leppard or Aerosmith here.

The "Legends" Stage is solely rock/metal. Something for older audiences or if they think acts like Yungblud or MGK are shit. More flexible with how "old" they can go.

The Insurgent Stage is basically "the rest". Indie, drum and bass, industrial, hip hop etc. Unless they're huge, they'd be on this stage.

7675456.jpg

Edited by beetchez

6 hours ago, Andre91 said:

It was one of the best festivals that anybody who went to it has ever been to, I say that with no amount of hyperbole. It was a stunning weekend. And, whilst not ‘world defining’, it was absolutely, without question,  a defining moment for live music in this country. It will forever be a unique part of the history of live music in the UK. If you didn’t go, that’s fine, but you cannot downplay it’s importance. 

Couldn’t put it better myself. Easily one of the greatest weekends of my life. 

31 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It was a 10k festival is more my point, there is no comparison.

Loads of people caught covid from it and small events such like it so it wasn't history making in the UK.

I can imagine for those who went, given the timing, following a period of no gigs and festivals, it must have felt pretty special. 

But in the grander scheme of things, not a step change moment for Download.

1 hour ago, gary1979666 said:

I can imagine for those who went, given the timing, following a period of no gigs and festivals, it must have felt pretty special. 

But in the grander scheme of things, not a step change moment for Download.

This is my point. But it's not like the majority of those on here has never been to a festival before, they are yearly Leeds goers etc etc. It's not a huge thing either to find events better overall and organisation etc that Download, most things are.

Nothing they booked that weekend had any baring on the quality of a proper Download lineup for this year.

I've been to events myself since the whole thing. I came back from travelling to be locked in my house.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Nothing they booked that weekend had any baring on the quality of a proper Download lineup for this year.

It was never going to, most of this years is a carry over from 2020 & was always going to be.

Next year will be the true test to see if the pilot influenced any change in booking strategy. While ever Copping is involved, unfortunately I don’t see it. 

It's been said before but it's puzzling how dull Download's bookings are even when you consider they have a very narrow view of rawk. In June the same month I've got tixs to see Nine Inch Nails, Green Day & Weezer, Alexisonfire & others at Slam Dunk and Jack White already so Download being so shit works out great for to me a have a rest! 

• Upvote 1