Download 2022

dannymichaels

21 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

They are two different size positions.

I know that but there are a small number of bands who could play both. Slayer on their final tour were a band most thought would sub but ended up doing 2nd. Rob Zombie has done both in quick succession so could realistically do either the next time he plays. FNM fit that bracket too, I think. 

6 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I know that but there are a small number of bands who could play both. Slayer on their final tour were a band most thought would sub but ended up doing 2nd. Rob Zombie has done both in quick succession so could realistically do either the next time he plays. FNM fit that bracket too, I think. 

Yeah I do get what you're saying.

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Dave Grohl thought Download was shite because of how shite the reception was when Them Crooked Vultures were shite in 2009 and now thinks f**k 'em, I'll do Reading again. Less shite. 

Andy Copping is interviewed on the new Them Damn Crowes podcast and he mentions Foo Fighters hopefully headlining one day.

He says something about Dave Grohl verbally agreeing to come back with the Foos one day after Them Crooked Vultures played.

He says that Taylor Hawkins said the same when he played Download with his band.

Josh Homme has also been back with Queens so I don’t think there’s a problem.

He also confirms that Them Crooked Vultures would have headlined if AC/DC hadn’t had their extra stage.

12 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

Andy Copping is interviewed on the new Them Damn Crowes podcast and he mentions Foo Fighters hopefully headlining one day.

He says something about Dave Grohl verbally agreeing to come back with the Foos one day after Them Crooked Vultures played.

He says that Taylor Hawkins said the same when he played Download with his band.

Josh Homme has also been back with Queens so I don’t think there’s a problem.

He also confirms that Them Crooked Vultures would have headlined if AC/DC hadn’t had their extra stage.

Tbh it sums up Download's problem that they would have Them Crooked Vultures headline but not Korn. 

10 minutes ago, Jericode said:

I can see why they'd have gone for TCV without AC/DC, but I think they should have given Bullet the nod in hindsight. 2010 was their commercial peak.

100% agree that Bullet should have headline around that time. Fever came out in 2010 and they had a big, successful arena tour that winter. I think they should have held off on them that year and had them headline 2011 instead of getting Def Leppard back again so soon.

Even if Bullet were a one and done headliner, at least they would have had their moment, DL would have another bump up headliner to brag about and they wouldn’t have had to get Def Lep back so quickly, which is still a bit of a meme today. 

If they weren’t British, I honestly don’t think that BMFV would be playing any higher than someone like Of Mice & Men do these days. 

Edited by Andre91

9 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

I still find it mental Slayer didn't headline instead of Def Lep in 2019 

Nah, Slayer have never been big enough to headline Download. As boring as Def Lep are, they’re still a massive band. I 100% expected them to sub Slipknot that year, though. 

9 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Nah, Slayer have never been big enough to headline Download. As boring as Def Lep are, they’re still a massive band. I 100% expected them to sub Slipknot that year, though. 

I remember an interview with Andy where he said the original plan was for Slayer to sub Tool, until the Smashing Pumpkins got booked & then he had to ask if they'd move to second stage headliners. 

They should of. Download overloaded the sunday at the expense of the rest of the fest. 

12 hours ago, Andre91 said:

100% agree that Bullet should have headline around that time. Fever came out in 2010 and they had a big, successful arena tour that winter. I think they should have held off on them that year and had them headline 2011 instead of getting Def Leppard back again so soon.

Even if Bullet were a one and done headliner, at least they would have had their moment, DL would have another bump up headliner to brag about and they wouldn’t have had to get Def Lep back so quickly, which is still a bit of a meme today. 

If they weren’t British, I honestly don’t think that BMFV would be playing any higher than someone like Of Mice & Men do these days. 

Yeah, even as a "one and done", it would have been fine. If they were desperate, Venom was the best charting album by position so they could have maybe gotten away with them doing it again after it as a weaker headliner; but even discounting that possibility they're a solid second stage headliner choice just playing the hits.

Just now, Jericode said:

Yeah, even as a "one and done", it would have been fine. If they were desperate, Venom was the best charting album by position so they could have maybe gotten away with them doing it again after it as a weaker headliner; but even discounting that possibility they're a solid second stage headliner choice just playing the hits.

As soon as Temper Temper came out, they were done. I can’t think of another album that has derailed a band as much as that did. Venom is a solid album but nobody really gave a shit about it, which is a shame because if they had released that instead of Temper Temper, I think they’d be in a much stronger position. 

They had no business subbing in 2018 so yeah, I agree that headlining 2nd is perfect for them these days. They will always pull a decent crowd at DL for nostalgia but they don’t deserve to sub again, not with that last flop of an album in tow as well.

I think that they have a very inflated sense of their worth so will likely just not play, unless DL are willing to have them sub yet again, which I can’t see. They’ll be Bloodstock bound sooner rather than later, their booker/organiser said on a podcast that she has tried to get them before and thinks they will headline one day. 

Matt Tuck definitely holds a high opinion of himself. There's an admittedly huge caveat on that "maybe post-Venom" suggestion, like a "Iron Maiden has been abducted by aliens and we need an emergency headliner on short notice" size caveat. Fully agree they were done in a conventional sense with Temper Temper. Even in Bridgend they went from massive to past it seemingly overnight when that came out. Nobody I know talked about them at all and I know loads of people who would have called them a favourite before the release, myself included.

It's a bold take but if they'd released the album Kill the Lights put out last year instead of Temper Temper I think they'd be genuinely huge, but it might just be because I love that album and hear a lot of similarities, not least because they have the same drummer.

2 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Wasn't it only a couple of year ago the BFMV headlined one of the tents at Slam Dunk?  I don't think they'd have accepted that slot if they thought they were too good for headlining 2nd at DL.

Yeah, they did. That was after their latest flop of an album though and the year following their last sub set at Download. Matt Tuck gave an interview at DL that same yea saying he felt that BFMV would still headline DL one day. The guy's deluded 😛 

Yeah, they did. That was after their latest flop of an album though and the year following their last sub set at Download. Matt Tuck gave an interview at DL that same yea saying he felt that BFMV would still headline DL one day. The guy's deluded 😛 

In 2018 he said something about headlining and the guy next to me scoffed.

I like BFMV but yeah I don't even think they're big enough to sub now. 

7 hours ago, beetchez said:

I like BFMV but yeah I don't even think they're big enough to sub now. 

Hard agree. They had no business doing so in 2018. They’re a band that have been trading off one album their entire career. 

The older I get, the more naff I find them. Their sub set in 2018 was dull and their set at Slam Dunk the following year was even worse. At both shows people did not care at all for anything new that they played. Matt Tuck’s on stage ‘patter’ is awful too. He sounded more wooden than Rainier Wolfcastle saying how much he loved being at Slam Dunk. 

• 2 weeks later...