Download 2022

dannymichaels

3 hours ago, Andre91 said:

KISS / Deftones / Frank 

Maiden / KoRn / Volbeat 

Biffy / Architects / Gojira 

That’s what I think we’ll get. Although I could absolutely see Alter Bridge returning and Architects being ignored. 

Volbeat are at Nova Rock on the Saturday.

I wouldn’t bet against;

KISS / Deftones / Frank Carter / Black Veil Brides 

Maiden / FFDP / Gojira / Pretty Reckless 

Biffy / KoRn / Volbeat / Rise Against

It’s just about stupid and counterproductive enough to be believable 

13 minutes ago, King101 said:

I wouldn’t bet against;

I think Korn are more likely under Maiden. Can't see Biffy not having a rock band sub. It's an unlikely idea but what about The Offspring subbing instead? They have dates to sell so won't be announced yet and they are free Sunday. Either way I can see me going as I wanted to this year.

31 minutes ago, King101 said:

I wouldn’t bet against;

Ahh I didn’t realise that! I think Volbeat would make loads more sense under KISS with Frank under Biffy. KoRn under Maiden is likely too, I think. 

18 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I think Korn are more likely under Maiden. Can't see Biffy not having a rock band sub. It's an unlikely idea but what about The Offspring subbing instead? They have dates to sell so won't be announced yet and they are free Sunday. Either way I can see me going as I wanted to this year.

I really hope so, works better for all involved with KoRn before Maiden and a rock band before Biffy but they were happy to have Gojira and Deftones before Biffy in 2021 so who knows.

If Download aren’t willing to try something fresh then Offspring would be a good shout;

Biffy / Offspring / Frank Carter / Rise Against

Looks good to me 

2 hours ago, beetchez said:

I hope Architects are announced as Biffy's sub.

I really don't understand why current and popular British metal bands have been consistently absent from Download. Architects, BMTH and While She Sleeps last played 2013/14. You'd think at least one would be back every other year with the amount of albums they release.

Is there something about Download that they don't like? They seem more willing to play on a smaller stage at a different festival than a high main stage Download slot.

Look at the fest Architects have just been confirmed for in London. Apart from their own fans I doubt any metal fan will be going. Feels like they are chasing a different crowd. Thats not a complaint just an observation.

5 minutes ago, King101 said:

I really hope so, works better for all involved with KoRn before Maiden and a rock band before Biffy but they were happy to have Gojira and Deftones before Biffy in 2021 so who knows.

If Download aren’t willing to try something fresh then Offspring would be a good shout;

Biffy / Offspring / Frank Carter / Rise Against

Looks good to me 

I think it'll be Volbeat over Frank. Frank was originally down for under KISS and Deftones and I'd presume you would want to keep certain stuff. Difference now is that Korn fitted under SOAD last time and ADTR only played under Biffy in 2017. I know it's been done with two bands very quickly in years before but they were a bit more generic Download. Biffy Clyro, ADTR again would just look like a Reading day again kinda. In fact, when they booked AFI 3rd below it was kinda said....this is Download yeah?.

Biffy, The Offspring, Volbeat and Rise Against would probably be the best lineup I've seen there for me.

37 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Biffy / Offspring / Frank / RA would be an incredible run.

I just think, Megadeth are Friday second stage, they can't play Saturday, Steel Panther are clearly Sunday second. Last time they played second they were doing academies and I don't think I see a band doing those 7 arenas playing a slot equal to 3rd/4th down the lineup. Hell BMTH did sub off just Wembley Arena I believe.

Worth noting too that I believe they have sold out Wembley Arena standing on this tour too.

Unless they are headlining a Slam Dunk extra day like ADTR but I reckon it's more likely it will be ADTR. I reckon they probably honoured that booking .

It makes a lot of sense to book The Offspring in that slot. It would sell tickets.

54 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Biffy / Offspring / Frank / RA would be an incredible run.

I just think, Megadeth are Friday second stage, they can't play Saturday, Steel Panther are clearly Sunday second. Last time they played second they were doing academies and I don't think I see a band doing those 7 arenas playing a slot equal to 3rd/4th down the lineup. Hell BMTH did sub off just Wembley Arena I believe.

Worth noting too that I believe they have sold out Wembley Arena standing on this tour too.

Unless they are headlining a Slam Dunk extra day like ADTR but I reckon it's more likely it will be ADTR. I reckon they probably honoured that booking .

It makes a lot of sense to book The Offspring in that slot. It would sell tickets. But I'd rather Volbeat, no interest in Frank really.

Edited by thewayiam

27 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

It makes a lot of sense to book The Offspring in that slot. It would sell tickets. But I'd rather Volbeat, no interest in Frank really.

As great as that run would be, the last time they tried anything like that on the Biffy day in 2017, people voted with their feet and the only band in the top 4 that had a massive crowd was ADTR. AFI had a tiny crowd but they smashed the slot (tbh, that slot was way too big for them) and everyone is aware of the reduced crowd Biffy pulled. It was by no means tiny but having someone as popular at DL as Rob Zombie against them was always going to show crowd wise. 

Knowing DL we will get Biffy / Alter Bridge / Volbeat as the top three on that day... 

5 hours ago, beetchez said:

I hope Architects are announced as Biffy's sub.

I really don't understand why current and popular British metal bands have been consistently absent from Download. Architects, BMTH and While She Sleeps last played 2013/14. You'd think at least one would be back every other year with the amount of albums they release.

Is there something about Download that they don't like? They seem more willing to play on a smaller stage at a different festival than a high main stage Download slot.

Yeah, there’s a lot of British bands that it’s strange that they don’t play more like WSS, BMTH and Architects who, as you say,haven’t played for years.

Also strange that Irish bands like Therapy? and Ash haven’t played for ages either.

Add to that legends/dinosaurs* like Hawkwind, Fish and Deep Purple and it seems that there’s loads out there.

*delete as appropriate 

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

As great as that run would be, the last time they tried anything like that on the Biffy day in 2017, people voted with their feet and the only band in the top 4 that had a massive crowd was ADTR. AFI had a tiny crowd but they smashed the slot (tbh, that slot was way too big for them) and everyone is aware of the reduced crowd Biffy pulled. It was by no means tiny but having someone as popular at DL as Rob Zombie against them was always going to show crowd wise. 

Knowing DL we will get Biffy / Alter Bridge / Volbeat as the top three on that day... 

You kind of sum what I say up though. Biffy headlining is never going to get a fuck yeah reaction. So whoever you book below them like AFI for eg...agreed 4th down would have been about right but actually subbing Zippo realistically, is not going to be a great choice.

If you booked that top 3 at Reading for eg, the likes of would be all over it because it's likely at that time the rest of the day would have included more bands to appeal. I mean take Hacktivist and Sikth off of that day and it wouldn't have been that far fetched to book it for Reading. But even they would have had AFI one more slot down but you get my point. This argument was heavily mentioned.

So in reality. You can book what you want below them, ADTR obviously at the time made very Downloadesque music. But you've actually got the band that the majority goer paid to go to Download for playing on the opposite stage. And this is why I think they don't fit.

Deftones and Gojira for example would in my opinion again alienate a lot of the headliner crowd. There would be crossover but you get the point. Someone I know is in the minority of who loves metal so Download has a lot of bands but also will lap Biffy up. In fact, they would go more for that than say The Offspring. I just thought if Nova Rock didn't have Alterbridge are they about?, and I thought Distubed were about but clearly not.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

You kind of sum what I say up though. Biffy headlining is never going to get a fuck yeah reaction. So whoever you book below them like AFI for eg...agreed 4th down would have been about right but actually subbing Zippo realistically, is not going to be a great choice.

If you booked that top 3 at Reading for eg, the likes of would be all over it because it's likely at that time the rest of the day would have included more bands to appeal. I mean take Hacktivist and Sikth off of that day and it wouldn't have been that far fetched to book it for Reading. But even they would have had AFI one more slot down but you get my point. This argument was heavily mentioned.

So in reality. You can book what you want below them, ADTR obviously at the time made very Downloadesque music. But you've actually got the band that the majority goer paid to go to Download for playing on the opposite stage. And this is why I think they don't fit.

Deftones and Gojira for example would in my opinion again alienate a lot of the headliner crowd. There would be crossover but you get the point. Someone I know is in the minority of who loves metal so Download has a lot of bands but also will lap Biffy up. In fact, they would go more for that than say The Offspring. I just thought if Nova Rock didn't have Alterbridge are they about?, and I thought Distubed were about but clearly not.

For me Download had the right idea with the Biffy day last time but the execution was poor and if it was my choice I’d try the same style of day again but with bigger bands and see if it works.

With Reading moving more and more away from rock music there is definitely an audience out there that aren’t being served by any major festivals. If Download really committed to it they could grab that audience but history suggests they’ll make a half hearted attempt at it and then revert back to their safe choices when they see any backlash.

2 hours ago, King101 said:

For me Download had the right idea with the Biffy day last time but the execution was poor and if it was my choice I’d try the same style of day again but with bigger bands and see if it works.

With Reading moving more and more away from rock music there is definitely an audience out there that aren’t being served by any major festivals. If Download really committed to it they could grab that audience but history suggests they’ll make a half hearted attempt at it and then revert back to their safe choices when they see any backlash.

The funny thing is that in 2012 when Biffy played sub Copping was quite vocal about his disappointment of it. Yeah I think it's better to model a day to Biffy  if they are the headliner as you will imo lose more custom by booking Biffy without an under card to match. All I thought last time with Deftones and Goji was why?, I had no interest in anything else that day.

20 hours ago, King101 said:

Download already has an audience and normally sells between 70000 and 90000 tickets each fest. Done 110000 a few times. So tbh why would they jepordise that? 

I don't think Download needs to go after the soft rock crowd and indie crowd at all. What it does need to do is better develop bands to be future headliners. Its been working on Halestorm. And Gojira's new album surely makes them an obvious choice too. But need to develop others.

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

Download already has an audience and normally sells between 70000 and 90000 tickets each fest. Done 110000 a few times. So tbh why would they jepordise that? 

I don't think Download needs to go after the soft rock crowd and indie crowd at all. What it does need to do is better develop bands to be future headliners. Its been working on Halestorm. And Gojira's new album surely makes them an obvious choice too. But need to develop others.

I agree with this. Download has a dedicated fanbase that will attend each year without fail. For some it's like their early summer getaway if you like. They have had some noticeable smaller crowds over years though which has been obvious. But if Biffy get criticism, there are less heavy bands than that which would not go down well at all. Book too many and you start having regulars not seeing a weekend ticket as worth it.

The biggest downfall is not bumping up bands but also Download don't see they can afford not to book a maiden if available etc because they  won't chance another Sonisphere or something swinging in and taking them.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I agree with this. Download has a dedicated fanbase that will attend each year without fail. For some it's like their early summer getaway if you like. They have had some noticeable smaller crowds over years though which has been obvious. But if Biffy get criticism, there are less heavy bands than that which would not go down well at all. Book too many and you start having regulars not seeing a weekend ticket as worth it.

The biggest downfall is not bumping up bands but also Download don't see they can afford not to book a maiden if available etc because they  won't chance another Sonisphere or something swinging in and taking them.

Aye indeed. I think a big thing they need to do is use the lower spots on main stage more to promote bands. Alien Weaponery and Power Trip (RIP Riley) 2 recent examples of them doing this.

3 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Aye indeed. I think a big thing they need to do is use the lower spots on main stage more to promote bands. Alien Weaponery and Power Trip (RIP Riley) 2 recent examples of them doing this.

I reckon what they could do similar to as you've said is have say an opening larger band and see it's reaction. Give then a longer set etc. If they are due to play in the day then it doesn't make any difference. But that the water and see I'd say a 3rd down band generates a crowd, I know given the alternative that time of a day it might be misinterpreted.

6 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

that zegut guy on twitter

hellfest part 2 in 2022 with GNR, Scorpions and Foo's headlining

Well Guns already have the London dates. I reckon that'll be outdoor dates for the Foo's. It's already been seen how well it went to get Foo's for Download. Dave to join Macca if he plays on stage at Glastonbury.

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Dave Grohl thought Download was shite because of how shite the reception was when Them Crooked Vultures were shite in 2009 and now thinks f**k 'em, I'll do Reading again. Less shite. 

I think Foo Fighters will headline one day, is that really the reason? Josh Homme has played since.