Download 2022

dannymichaels

5 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Now is the time for another rock-focused festival to pop up. Download books the same bands over and over and don't push newer bands too often. R&L will no longer book a whole host of bands who would have once fit perfectly. If a major festival existed that combined those things, it'd be very popular, I'm sure. 

Fantasy stuff though. 

Made a 'fantasy' festival using the Download template. A mish-mash of modern(ish) pop, rock, indie, metal but no "Monsters of Rock" style bands. 

7546576.jpg

I think Germany's Rock Im Park/Rock am Ring festivals are good examples of the kind of direction Download should move towards that has currently been left open by R+L changing during the late 2010s. Example line-ups from 2018 and 19 below. Still has heavy bands like Slipknot, Parkway Drive, Architects etc, but also finds space for likes of Foals, Alt-J, 1975 alongside them. Obvious issue is a lot of British bands would play higher up the line-up than they do here, but I think it's a good model for what a post-dinosaurs Download could become.

large_d8488b1345be47d254f6dae5ac98b702.jpg

large_ab592f76ff50607d0d7883d5761a5dcc.png

2 minutes ago, BlackFoxx said:

I think Germany's Rock Im Park/Rock am Ring festivals are good examples of the kind of direction Download should move towards that has currently been left open by R+L changing during the late 2010s. Example line-ups from 2018 and 19 below. Still has heavy bands like Slipknot, Parkway Drive, Architects etc, but also finds space for likes of Foals, Alt-J, 1975 alongside them. Obvious issue is a lot of British bands would play higher up the line-up than they do here, but I think it's a good model for what a post-dinosaurs Download could become.

Although a festival with a lineup like these would be very welcome what with R/L shifting direction, Download it ain’t gonna be. Bands like The 1975, Alt-J etc just aren’t gonna find a place with Downloads crowd and it would be a completely different festival. 

Problem is, like has been mentioned above, is that indie and rock have massively fallen off in terms of popularity in comparison to ten+ years ago, so there aren’t really the right amount of fresh acts making waves in the scene. After a couple of years, it’d essentially end up just like Download with the same acts playing every other year.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BlackFoxx said:

To be blunt, myself and 90% of rock/metal fans I know (and I know a lot) have no interest in those bands like 1975. Biffy Clyro splits opinion as it is! Mixing them into the Download line up would just drive people to other fests (Bloodstock and probably new smaller ones).

Edited by Spiral_Low
  • Upvote 1

I always saw that those planned ADTR gigs last year as Slam Dunk testing the waters for a two day festival. I'm not sure if it will ever become a full on camping festival but multiple days are certainly on the cards.

I used to reckon that 2000trees could fill in the gap that DL and R&L have failed to fill for years but the fact all their headliners booked for last year were acts that had their peak in early-mid 00s has made me rethink this.

16 hours ago, Jericode said:

I'm not saying make it a camping event, just a two-day thing the way they were having ADTR gigs at the sites originally last year.

The way they keep having "co-headliners" recently (JEW and Good Charlotte in 2018 and now Sum 41 and Don Broco) makes me think they have to at least be considering going to a two day format in future, they can only grow so much as a one day event. They've got 8 stages already crammed into one day giving everyone clash headaches, they could easily split it in do 4-5 stages per day. Using 2019 as an example:

Main Stage 1 (Pop Punk)
Fireball (added back as a compliment to PID)
Jagermeister
Marshall
Key Club

Main Stage 2 (Rock/Metal)
Punk in Drublic
Dickies
Impericon
Key Club

Key Club is already split between two stages anyway so that's easy enough to divide. Each day gets an older punk/ska stage, and then a lower heavier/pop punk stage so there's plenty of crossover. Reduction in stages at each site should help and if the set up is the same for the second day at each site then there's minimal set up work to do. Then if it's successful they could add another stage or two back in since they already know they have layouts that work with higher amounts.

If it's the same size locations, the same acts but just spread out a bit more and no camping it doesn't really sound like an alternative to Download.

14 hours ago, Spiral_Low said:

To be blunt, myself and 90% of rock/metal fans I know (and I know a lot) have no interest in those bands like 1975. Biffy Clyro splits opinion as it is! Mixing them into the Download line up would just drive people to other fests (Bloodstock and probably new smaller ones).

Yup, I get the Biffy. I still don't think they are a Download headliner and look out of place. It's also the festival where they did the set I most disliked....just out of place.

Yes they have played multiple positions on the udnercard but there is a difference. Biffys Download like material if you like didn't even get them close to a Reading headline slot.

14 hours ago, justanothername said:

I always saw that those planned ADTR gigs last year as Slam Dunk testing the waters for a two day festival. I'm not sure if it will ever become a full on camping festival but multiple days are certainly on the cards.

I used to reckon that 2000trees could fill in the gap that DL and R&L have failed to fill for years but the fact all their headliners booked for last year were acts that had their peak in early-mid 00s has made me rethink this.

I think they see a market for it at Trees. I'd rather watch the indie and rock acts from their mid 00s peak that nowadays stuff. 

3 minutes ago, scrubbertheman said:

As to show the stereotypical humor but.....joking aside he has a point.

People will go regardless but it is a pure cash cow/very unorganised with less care festival. Unless it's changed since. I've never known a festival to know shit wether was coming but not do something about it until after it's come that bad.

Copping is up his own arse as high as he can be and he won't booked alternative bands even though another festival doesn't regularly have them.

4 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Yup, I get the Biffy. I still don't think they are a Download headliner and look out of place. It's also the festival where they did the set I most disliked....just out of place.

Yes they have played multiple positions on the udnercard but there is a difference. Biffys Download like material if you like didn't even get them close to a Reading headline slot.

I think they see a market for it at Trees. I'd rather watch the indie and rock acts from their mid 00s peak that nowadays stuff. 

I think in terms of Biffy, the people I see in metal/rock pubs and clubs (in normal non-pandemic times) aren't really interested in them. Maybe a few but on the whole no. Obvs these people don't define the entire scene, but they do make up a big chunk of the Download crowd.

29 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

I think in terms of Biffy, the people I see in metal/rock pubs and clubs (in normal non-pandemic times) aren't really interested in them. Maybe a few but on the whole no. Obvs these people don't define the entire scene, but they do make up a big chunk of the Download crowd.

Yes.

See I'd probably make more effort to go Glasgow for a couple of days that Download for them. If Download was more RAR/Soni then I get it.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, rivalschools.price said:

This is excellent.Haha.

If you look at my post history I’ve often commented on the fact that people claim to be metal fans but ‘only like three bands’ on the entire four stage, three day line up.haha

This video must be directed at one or two of the Efestivals regulars 8^D

1 hour ago, Spiral_Low said:

New Gojira album is fantastic. Have a sneaky suspicion they aren't on the announced Download line up  because they are gonna headline Bloodstock or sub at Knotfest (if that happens). 

i'm seeing a lot of friends that are not really into heavy music talking about this album (especially amazonia) i think this is the record that will bump them up to headliner-level band

Gojira will be at DL2022. A presenter on Kerrang Radio! let it slip that they’ve been rebooked this past week. I should think they may be announcing an album tour for this winter and will wait until that’s sold well before being announced for Download. 

The new album is brilliant and they’ve got to be going for Ally Pally on this cycle, right?

7 hours ago, gabrielomachado said:

i'm seeing a lot of friends that are not really into heavy music talking about this album (especially amazonia) i think this is the record that will bump them up to headliner-level band

I really hope so. 

15 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Gojira will be at DL2022. A presenter on Kerrang Radio! let it slip that they’ve been rebooked this past week. I should think they may be announcing an album tour for this winter and will wait until that’s sold well before being announced for Download. 

The new album is brilliant and they’ve got to be going for Ally Pally on this cycle, right?

Ah ok cool. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

I see Alterbridge subbing Maiden and Gojira 3rd incoming. Obviously no 3rd band is announced yet.

1 hour ago, Chavmeisterdeluxe said:

Frank Carter essentially confirmed they've been rebooked on that Amazon thing the other night. Said he couldn't say anything in a very wink wink nudge nudge manner.

Yeah they've not got any 3rd downs on the bill yet so they will be one.

27 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

KISS / Deftones / Frank 

Maiden / KoRn / Volbeat 

Biffy / Architects / Gojira 

That’s what I think we’ll get. Although I could absolutely see Alter Bridge returning and Architects being ignored. 

Architects have been booked by the festival giving them what they want.

I'm thinking Alterbridge under Biffy and Gojira 3rd actually taking both the last two positions into a count. 

Though I think it fits better to have Gojira under Korn and Volbeat Sunday.

I presume there is no reason why Disturbed wouldn't be announced if they were playing?, they would be great Sunday.

I hope Architects are announced as Biffy's sub.

I really don't understand why current and popular British metal bands have been consistently absent from Download. Architects, BMTH and While She Sleeps last played 2013/14. You'd think at least one would be back every other year with the amount of albums they release.

Is there something about Download that they don't like? They seem more willing to play on a smaller stage at a different festival than a high main stage Download slot.