Download 2022

dannymichaels

5 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

I completely agree, it wouldn't take much to bump a lot of the bands you mention above higher up the bill to replace the same rotation of headliners we currently have. BMTH, Gojira, Architects will be chomping at the bit for high slots. Every other festival is moving with the times but Download just seems to be stagnating. Not all these bands would fit the MS in this order or go down well but something like the below would freshen things up:

FRI: Gojira -  Deftones - Royal Blood - YMAS - Machine Gun Kelly

SAT: BMTH - Architects - Enter Shikari - Frank Carter - While She Sleeps

SUN: Biffy Clyro - ADTR - Idles - The Pretty Reckless - Black Veil Brides

If they could (somehow) fuse All Points East, Slam Dunk and 2000Trees into one Download sized festival we could have relevant/popular bands headline while bringing in some newer acts like Yungblud and Billie Eilish without getting hate from elitists.

1 minute ago, dannymichaels said:

If they could (somehow) fuse All Points East, Slam Dunk and 2000Trees into one Download sized festival we could have relevant/popular bands headline while bringing in some newer acts like Yungblud and Billie Eilish without getting hate from elitists.

That's the only thing, they'd need to do it gradually over a couple of years to avoid a backlash. Billie Eilish, Yungblud, MGK etc would be interesting, one day I can see it but if they played say R&L, half the crowd would be pop fans who wouldn't look at Download twice.

At the same time, the crowd that currently go to Download won't be going forever, they'll need to draw in the next generation at some point and they won't do it by booking Kiss every year

Now is the time for another rock-focused festival to pop up. Download books the same bands over and over and don't push newer bands too often. R&L will no longer book a whole host of bands who would have once fit perfectly. If a major festival existed that combined those things, it'd be very popular, I'm sure. 

Fantasy stuff though. 

19 minutes ago, andyrhodes24 said:

That's the only thing, they'd need to do it gradually over a couple of years to avoid a backlash. Billie Eilish, Yungblud, MGK etc would be interesting, one day I can see it but if they played say R&L, half the crowd would be pop fans who wouldn't look at Download twice.

At the same time, the crowd that currently go to Download won't be going forever, they'll need to draw in the next generation at some point and they won't do it by booking Kiss every year

Using the Download template as an example, but something like this to draw in the R/L crowd that doesn't want pop/rap, but the Download crowd that doesn't want 'classic' metal...

Which is basically R/L if they stayed rock.

download.png

Edited by dannymichaels
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Now is the time for another rock-focused festival to pop up. Download books the same bands over and over and don't push newer bands too often. R&L will no longer book a whole host of bands who would have once fit perfectly. If a major festival existed that combined those things, it'd be very popular, I'm sure. 

Fantasy stuff though. 

If Slam Dunk could step it up a gear

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

KISS / Alter Bridge / Volbeat / Black Label Society / Monster Truck / Theory / Wayward Sons 

Megadeth / Distillers 

The Ghost Inside 

Electric Wizard 

Iron Maiden / KoRn / Gojira / The Pretty Reckless / Alestorm / Powerwolf / Those Damn Crows / The Raven Age 

Killswitch Engage / Mastodon 

Funeral For A Friend 

Sepultura 

Biffy Clyro / Architects / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Rise Against / Code Orange / Jinjer / Thy Art Is Murder / Wage War 

Steel Panther / The Darkness 

Descendants 

Periphery 

That's what we will end up with, I think. It should be Architects subbing. It should be The Offspring headlining 2nd on Friday. It should be Sabaton playing in a logo position. I doubt we will get any of those. 

I understand that they are, as said above, flogging the festival to people who have mostly rolled their tickets over for the last two years so the lineup is doing the same but it was a stale looking lineup in 2020, it's even worse in 2022. 

This festival is really stuck in a rut. 

The Distillers placed there is just a waste.

I think Slam Dunk have nicked ADTR. The Offspring could be waiting to be announced.

Edited by thewayiam

37 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

Fantasy stuff though. 

Slam Dunk, in my opinion, should become a two day thing at each site and swap the bands over like Reading and Leeds do. Have the normal pop punk focused day then a primarily rock/metal day alongside it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Andre91 said:

Fantasy stuff though. 

I'm suprised Sonisphere hasn't returned with the state of Download at the moment. 

2 hours ago, Andre91 said:

KISS / Alter Bridge / Volbeat / Black Label Society / Monster Truck / Theory / Wayward Sons 

Megadeth / Distillers 

The Ghost Inside 

Electric Wizard 

Iron Maiden / KoRn / Gojira / The Pretty Reckless / Alestorm / Powerwolf / Those Damn Crows / The Raven Age 

Killswitch Engage / Mastodon 

Funeral For A Friend 

Sepultura 

Biffy Clyro / Architects / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Rise Against / Code Orange / Jinjer / Thy Art Is Murder / Wage War 

Steel Panther / The Darkness 

Descendants 

Periphery 

That's what we will end up with, I think. It should be Architects subbing. It should be The Offspring headlining 2nd on Friday. It should be Sabaton playing in a logo position. I doubt we will get any of those. 

I understand that they are, as said above, flogging the festival to people who have mostly rolled their tickets over for the last two years so the lineup is doing the same but it was a stale looking lineup in 2020, it's even worse in 2022. 

This festival is really stuck in a rut. 

I’m not sure Black Label will get 4th on the bill, they’ve specifically separated Pretty Reckless and Rise Against out from the pack so I doubt BLS will get the same slot as them.

I expect Black Veil Brides to get the final 4th on the bill slot with BLS dropping to 5th. Probably means you lose Code Orange from your prediction with maybe Monster Truck shifting into that slot on the Biffy day.

36 minutes ago, Jericode said:

Slam Dunk, in my opinion, should become a two day thing at each site and swap the bands over like Reading and Leeds do. Have the normal pop punk focused day then a primarily rock/metal day alongside it.

Agreed, if they spread the current lineup over two days, added a few more metal/straight up rock bands and added two next level headliners it would be class. Camping would be possible at the Leeds site (if the council would let them after the Temple Newsam Leeds Fest riots). Even a non-camping do like Tramlines

35 minutes ago, jump said:

If Slam Dunk went two days then chances are it will just book the same bands like Download too. I don't think Slam Dunk is in a good enough place to do it anyway as they would need new sites for camping.

I'm not saying make it a camping event, just a two-day thing the way they were having ADTR gigs at the sites originally last year.

The way they keep having "co-headliners" recently (JEW and Good Charlotte in 2018 and now Sum 41 and Don Broco) makes me think they have to at least be considering going to a two day format in future, they can only grow so much as a one day event. They've got 8 stages already crammed into one day giving everyone clash headaches, they could easily split it in do 4-5 stages per day. Using 2019 as an example:

Main Stage 1 (Pop Punk)
Fireball (added back as a compliment to PID)
Jagermeister
Marshall
Key Club

Main Stage 2 (Rock/Metal)
Punk in Drublic
Dickies
Impericon
Key Club

Key Club is already split between two stages anyway so that's easy enough to divide. Each day gets an older punk/ska stage, and then a lower heavier/pop punk stage so there's plenty of crossover. Reduction in stages at each site should help and if the set up is the same for the second day at each site then there's minimal set up work to do. Then if it's successful they could add another stage or two back in since they already know they have layouts that work with higher amounts.

KISS / Deftones / Volbeat / Black Veil Brides

Megadeth / The Distillers / Airbourne

The Ghost Inside

Electric Wizard

_______

IRON MAIDEN / Five Finger Death Punch / Gojira / The Pretty Reckless

Killswitch Engage / Mastodon / Daughtry

Funeral For A Friend

Sepultura

_____

BIFFY CLYRO / Korn / Frank Carter & The Rattlesnakes / Rise Against

Steel Panther / The Darkness / Skillet

Descendents

The Black Dahlia Murder

Edited by gabrielomachado

2 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

I've been saying for a while that within the next 5-7 years or so, Slam Dunk will become a two day camping festival that alternates North and South days/lineups like R&L does. The rate they've been growing, I can see it happening. 

Yeah and as they've now two main stages essentially, it makes a whole lot of sense. You could have almost done two days this year with Broco and Sum 41, a couple of slightly bigger headliners and they could do it easily.

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

I'm suprised Sonisphere hasn't returned with the state of Download at the moment. 

They (Sonispheres promoters) have said financially it simply isn't worth it. Too much risk for little reward. 

I do think there is scope for a day fest though, and Knotfest was orginally planned after all. I think it was Live Nation too who do Download.

Personally think they (Download+Live Nation) should look at putting on a day fest in late July/early Aug in addition to Download. Big headliner plus 3 or 4 biggish established support bands, and then a bunch of newer bands. Use it to help build bands for Download in the future. Kinda like a feeder club in football. 

1 minute ago, gabrielomachado said:

KISS / Alter Bridge / Volbeat / Black Veil Brides

The Ghost Inside

Electric Wizard

_______

Funeral For A Friend

Sepultura

_____

Descendents

The Black Dahlia Murder

Deftones? 

(I'm starting to think I've imagined them playing 😂)

24 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

They (Sonispheres promoters) have said financially it simply isn't worth it. Too much risk for little reward. 

I do think there is scope for a day fest though, and Knotfest was orginally planned after all. I think it was Live Nation too who do Download.

Personally think they (Download+Live Nation) should look at putting on a day fest in late July/early Aug in addition to Download. Big headliner plus 3 or 4 biggish established support bands, and then a bunch of newer bands. Use it to help build bands for Download in the future. Kinda like a feeder club in football. 

Fair enough, I think there is something in the market for a Indie/Rock/Punk/Metal festival like what R&L used to be 

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

Despite some Sonisohere fans claiming differently, every Sonisphere festival line up looked very similar to a Download one.

They did but there definitely a difference in rock coverage from metal. Certain bands plays Sonisphere that either tool much long to hit the Download top or just still haven't. But the difference is that bands who headline Download who are a bit like....are they a fit?, at Soni you wouldn't question it a heavy heavy sun isn't the first thought.

41 minutes ago, gabrielomachado said:

KISS / Deftones / Volbeat / Black Veil Brides

The Ghost Inside

Electric Wizard

_______

Funeral For A Friend

Sepultura

_____

Descendents

The Black Dahlia Murder

At least no Alter Bridge sub again. Descendants finishing before Biffy ideally. Why we so sure KSE will be Saturday 2nd stage? 

14 minutes ago, Alex Winstone said:

Fair enough, I think there is something in the market for a Indie/Rock/Punk/Metal festival like what R&L used to be 

Yup. Reading sold out when it was a more rock orientated day a couple of years. My favourite day at Leeds I think for years....and it pissed down.

1 hour ago, Alex Winstone said:

To be fair though Download does 3 of those and the 'indie' scene isn't like the 90's and early 00's anymore, not as much crossover now.