Download 2022

dannymichaels

57 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

At least they have new songs, unlike SOAD and KISS. 

No one agrees more than me that it's a shambles of a set of headliners overall for Download.....but that's Download for you.

Yes new songs with the majority being pointless at Download. As Floorfiller said rightly....if Biffy and QOTSA are going to get booked to headline then those festivals they are just better of being booked the other way round. Don't see Queens ever being booked to headline Download mind.

14 hours ago, Andre91 said:

Compared to KISS and fucking SOAD, Biffy are absolutely an inspired booking. In terms of them as a live band, they are one of the most inspired bands out there. They always give it their all and visibly love what they do, the same can’t be said for the embarrassment that is System Of A Down. 

I think the issue is that in absolute terms (forget about comparisons) Biffy isn't an inspired booking.  They're a good booking, don't get me wrong.  They'd be top pick for me out of the 3 there and will do a damn good set.  But not inspired - it's not a choice that had a lot of thought put into it, or a bolt out the blue wild idea, but a solid band who it's easy enough to justify headlining, that will create minimal ripples - a pretty safe choice.  Not saying that in a bad way either - it's a compliment really.

7 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

I think the issue is that in absolute terms (forget about comparisons) Biffy isn't an inspired booking.  They're a good booking, don't get me wrong.  They'd be top pick for me out of the 3 there and will do a damn good set.  But not inspired - it's not a choice that had a lot of thought put into it, or a bolt out the blue wild idea, but a solid band who it's easy enough to justify headlining, that will create minimal ripples - a pretty safe choice.  Not saying that in a bad way either - it's a compliment really.

Another thing on top of the uninspired biffy booking is that I, a young 18 yr old just on the back of my first download appearance of 2019, know that I will have a chance to see biffy again. I don't care whether or not I like them or the show they are doing, both kiss and SOAD are dying in the festival scene and will likely be one of the last times they both appear while at least biffy will appear further down the line... I know the shows are gonna be shit from sets I've seen in 2017 and stuff but I still want to see SOAD who was a main reason I got into the music of download

7 hours ago, gary1979666 said:

Another thing on top of the uninspired biffy booking is that I, a young 18 yr old just on the back of my first download appearance of 2019, know that I will have a chance to see biffy again. I don't care whether or not I like them or the show they are doing, both kiss and SOAD are dying in the festival scene and will likely be one of the last times they both appear while at least biffy will appear further down the line... I know the shows are gonna be shit from sets I've seen in 2017 and stuff but I still want to see SOAD who was a main reason I got into the music of download

18 hours ago, Urbaniste said:

If you're a teenager then generally you're excite to see bands (as long as you like them in the first place) as most of the bands they are are seeing is for the first time. It's the folk who have been going to gigs and festival who are more weary about repeated headliners and can see them elsewhere.

Just look at R&L, the teenie poppers didn't give a fuck about how rare of a chance to see Rage Against The Machine was and wanted shit acts that are constantly playing everywhere as it’s all new to them.

Edited by jump

19 hours ago, Urbaniste said:

You say that about SOAD and tbh they were disappointing at DL in 2017, but I saw them 3 weeks later at Rock Werchter and they were fantastic. I’ve still no idea why that was.

3 hours ago, thewayiam said:

I will go providing it's on because it might be the last time to catch them. Sooner or later Serj is going to to decide he can't be bothered and for a day at Download it's probably as good as it gets for me 

Yeah he's basically called out the drummer for being a hypocrite and pretty clear the band arent gonna sort out their problems. 

I've seen SOAD 3 times and loved every one. their best performance was the Wake Up the Souls tour in London, that night was nothing short of amazing, check the set list. Worst performance was download but I still loved every moment of it. 

SOAD only have bangers, they don't have one bad song. Even if they don't play well you can bet the crowd is going to sing every word to every song and have a real good time.. 

That's why they make a good booking because of atmosphere.

RATM would be the crown jewel of bookings, I almost had to cry myself to sleep when I found out covid ruined my chances of seeing them again...

Jokes aside though, they are hands down the best live band to see in terms of performance and atmosphere, check out the hyde park gig the whole crowd is jumping in unison.

Edited by Xeph1995

SOAD are the best booking and will have the biggest crowd of the weekend. I also enjoyed them in 17, it was only the coverage afterwards that spoiled the experience for me. They sounded ok from where I was but then again the crowd was indeed singing every word. As was I. Also agree on the London gig. Dunno about RATM being the best live band, they're certainly very good. The two times I've seen them were both excellent but they are not the best I've seen. In 2010 they were the 3rd best headliner I felt although the sound was absolutely amazing that day. Back in the day, just about every crowd bounced in unison. No phones and other distractions, just music. Those people are too old, knackered and fat to show the youngsters how it should be done nowadays 😂

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/21/2020 at 6:22 PM, Spiral_Low said:

Starting to doubt if Download 2021 will be allowed to go ahead at this point 😕

Sadly, I’m with you on this, especially as DL is relatively early in the festival season. 

I’m assuming the festival prep and logistics are scheduled months and months in advance. With many elements of international transit involved. If, let’s say, we’re in some form of lockdown til March (broadly 6 months), then I don’t see how everything can be committed for a June fest. 

Will be delighted to be proven wrong. 

11 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

New Deftones album slaps... Why they haven't been given the bump up yet is beyond me.

It’s incredible. I’ve loved pretty much everything they’ve done and they’re a rare band who’ve made very few missteps in my eyes, but this one is instantly recognisable as something special. 

Theyll never get the bump up cause much like KoRn they’re just stuck in the reliable sub position, but I’m hoping a tour will come at some point next year/in the near future as I’m 100% there.

On 9/22/2020 at 11:21 PM, Moey said:

Sadly, I’m with you on this, especially as DL is relatively early in the festival season. 

I’m assuming the festival prep and logistics are scheduled months and months in advance. With many elements of international transit involved. If, let’s say, we’re in some form of lockdown til March (broadly 6 months), then I don’t see how everything can be committed for a June fest. 

Will be delighted to be proven wrong. 

I really hope it can happen but it seems a total mess atm. I guess if there is a vaccine in early 2021 as the most optmistic think then it will be able to happen. Depends how available it is I guess.....wouldn't be surprised if festival goers have to wind up paying extra to get earlier access to it.

----

Reagarding Deftones - they can be very sporadic live and whilst I have enjoyed them at fests before I don't think Download would ever 'risk' them as a headliner.

Edited by Spiral_Low

53 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

That's the problem they have on their hands though, when all the nailed on headliners retire which tbh is kind of round the corner where do they go when bands like Deftones arent given the bump.

I'd probably argue that Deftones are the most worthy of it out of the contenders.

I'd 100% say Korn. They are very consitent live, much more so than Deftones. I think i'm not alone in being very happy with Deftones as a sub but not so happy if they headlined. 

There are still bands like Pearl Jam and Nine Inch Nails who could headline and haven't yet. But I do agree Download needs to think about future headliners. I think they should think about adding a one day fest to the mix in either July or early August. Like Knotfest was gonna be. Ideally co-operating with Bloodstock like Sonisphere did a couple times (for example sharing Fear Factory). Doesn't have to aim too high - a crowd of 15000 or 20000 or so. Use it to help develop bands up and down the bill. 

Edited by Spiral_Low

39 minutes ago, Spiral_Low said:

Puscifer at Nova Rock on the thursday. I'd say that makes them quite likely for that friday spot at Download as I previously speculated. 

Headlining second stage? As great as that would be I'm not so sure. A Perfect Circle weren't booked in 2018 for the reason that they wanted higher billing than the festival thought they should get. 

47 minutes ago, Frankly Mr Shankly said:

Headlining second stage? As great as that would be I'm not so sure. A Perfect Circle weren't booked in 2018 for the reason that they wanted higher billing than the festival thought they should get. 

Well the festival was wrong then haha as A Perfect Circle have a very dedicated fanbase. Yeah I think headlining second stage though could pop up mainstage 4th spot on sat or sun. 

• 3 weeks later...