ABBA

Jne___

• 11 months later...

Assuming it’s new material, I’m pretty damn interested to hear what ABBA 40 years later sounds like. Not expecting it to be brilliant or anything, but they’re a band very much associate with a particular time so modern music from them is a wild concept. Here’s hoping it’s not complete crap. 

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Assuming it’s new material, I’m pretty damn interested to hear what ABBA 40 years later sounds like. Not expecting it to be brilliant or anything, but they’re a band very much associate with a particular time so modern music from them is a wild concept. Here’s hoping it’s not complete crap. 

ABBA (ft. Playboi Carti and 100 gecs)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Is this what it actually is or just a guess? Now you’ve mentioned it I can very much see this being just that, and people would absolutely eat it up, but would be a crap result.

Hologram tour, but apparently also 5 new tracks

10 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Is this what it actually is or just a guess? Now you’ve mentioned it I can very much see this being just that, and people would absolutely eat it up, but would be a crap result.

Yes I understand that’s what it is.  These things are usually reserved for those who are already dead such as Elvis! 

11 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Blondie pulled it off but nowhere near as big a gap.

32 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

What is the longest gap between new single releases for a band?  This is a bigger gap than the Beatles, which wasn't even 30 years.  1983 was the last time they released a single. 38 years!

Precisely. Nailed it.

There's no denying Ulvaeus and Andersson had a gift for melody up there with the greats.

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

Blondie pulled it off but nowhere near as big a gap.

Precisely. Nailed it.

There's no denying Ulvaeus and Andersson had a gift for melody up there with the greats.

The thing is, they still write music (well Benny does and Bjorn just writes words) and it's really nothing special. But they've not really tried to do any pop music.

I'm still intrigued to hear that blend of Frida+Agnetha singing together, I think that will still sound ABBA. A shame that Rutger Gunnarsson on bass won't be a part of things.

31 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

The thing is, they still write music (well Benny does and Bjorn just writes words) and it's really nothing special. But they've not really tried to do any pop music.

I'm still intrigued to hear that blend of Frida+Agnetha singing together, I think that will still sound ABBA. A shame that Rutger Gunnarsson on bass won't be a part of things.

Never asked myself who ABBAs drum and bass players were. Guess I just lazily presumed they used session musicians or something.

Tbf I only ever owned Greatest Hits 1 & 2 on cassette and possibly not on the sleevenotes.

I've just recalled going to pawn a load of cassettes in a time of no money and the only ones they would take off of my hands were those two.

ABBA were always a bit of a guilty pleasure. I mean they were never ever considered to be cool or anything were they? Just M.O.R. Radio 2 stuff.

I remember getting into a debate on my first day at secondary school with a kid who swore that ABBA were the GOAT. And he had the authority apparently. Because his dad was a DJ and therefore knew about these things. "Well they sell more stuff than anyone. Therefore...".

Yeah. He had a point.

And the stagecraft...

ABBA certainly were (and will possibly be again) a great act.

I've only just now gone back through the thread and realised I am reiterating the guilty pleasure thing. 

And @stuartbert two hatsyou so know your ABBA.

Another synapse has fired. I had a day out a the cinema with my mum once. The choice was ABBA's Arrival The Movie or Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same. 

I'd heard ABBA.

I hadn't heard or even heard of Led Zeppelin.