ABBA

Jne___

1 minute ago, Jne___ said:

I couldn't read that article because of some sort of barred thingy. Anyway, I then looked it up elsewhere. Is this actually true? Could my dreams actually come true. Fuck me! Who'd have thought!?

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Bjorn has been saying the new songs are out in the next 10 months or so for the last three years. I wouldn't hold your breath.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-43924609

This article from 2 years ago said that were due to do a BBC special in December 2018 to release the song and there's been no mention of it since so I'm not sure how true it is - however should it be true, bring on the best headline set of all time! 

25 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/entertainment-arts-43924609

This article from 2 years ago said that were due to do a BBC special in December 2018 to release the song and there's been no mention of it since so I'm not sure how true it is - however should it be true, bring on the best headline set of all time! 

It only feels like three years then!  But it has been perpetually 10 months away for the last two years :D

I do believe the songs are real, but when they actually come out is an open question.  There have been very many interviews between the initial announcement and the latest news, with the date getting pushed back every time.  To be fair, a pandemic is a pretty good excuse.

21 minutes ago, funkychick2007 said:

ABBA omg would be everyone’s secret guilty pleasure!! What a cheesy headliner tht would be!!! Amazing though!!! It would be the best sparkly fun!!! Thursday evening maybe!! Or Sunday early evening!!! 

Nowt secret or guilty about it I reckon.  ABBA turning up would be massive

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nowt secret or guilty about it I reckon.  ABBA turning up would be massive

Yep. I hate the phrase guilty pleasure. You like what you like and don't feel guilty. It's buying into a narrative that some music is somehow more worthy than others. In reality some music is just more suitable for some occasions than others. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, funkychick2007 said:

ABBA omg would be everyone’s secret guilty pleasure!! What a cheesy headliner tht would be!!! Amazing though!!! It would be the best sparkly fun!!! Thursday evening maybe!! Or Sunday early evening!!! 

Definitely a secret guilty pleasure for everyone, and yes cheesy, but some cheeses are mature, tasteful, rare and expensive. It would all depend on how their performance has stood up to the passage of time though modern technology and backing singers would help! 

• Upvote 2

Not unless Michael has had a change of heart regarding them. At the Q and A with him in the Greenfields on Sunday in 2016, someone tossed out the idea of them as headliners out and he scoffed at the idea. I only remember it because it was a genuinely funny reaction.

7 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

I actually don't think they are a guilty pleasure these days. They're generally regarded as the epitome of perfect pop song-writing of their era, and have been sampled / cited by enough supposedly 'cool' people to transcend any sense that they are otherwise.

7 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Bjorn again are a good fun replacement for them ... yes I know they are a tribute ... but 

I went to see Bjorn Again in Birmingham many years ago, and had a fab time. I go to see another tribute band that play here (not Birmingham), and have seen them elsewhere too. In fact, I've just remembered seeing another Abba tribute band too. It's official, I am a sucker for Abba and anything to do with Abba.

I'm not sure what's widely known on the ABBA live side, but I'm pretty sure the plan is as follows:

They're planning to "tour" with virtual versions of the four members of the band (ABBAtars) as they were in 1979, supplemented with live musicians, similar to the Elvis tours.  I'm hopeful that they'll put as much effort into this tour as they did back in the day.  As a comparison, here's Bjorn Again doing Super Trouper

And here's the real deal:

Actual ABBA had far more musicians on stage.  Sonically, it's most noticeable in the backing vocals, but there's subtleties in the keyboard sounds, the use of two drummers and the multiple guitarists that add up to a much fuller, better sound.  And of course, the lead vocals are better with ABBA, which I assume/hope will be the only pre-recorded elements

It's hard to blame the likes of Bjorn Again, as a tribute act it's difficult for them to afford the number of musicians it takes to really realise those arrangements.  but this ABBA tour is not going to be cheap, it's going to be an elaborate setup, and I suspect they'll throw the kitchen sink at it. 

Benny is still touring with loads of (rather old!) musicians, without even getting proper ABBA money for it

Sadly, I suspect it's going to be the kind of stage production that's unlikely to hit Glastonbury.  And you're not going to see Aggie and Frida doing a normal live performance anywhere.

I've seen Bjorn Again twice at Glastonbury, I think '93 and '09. The second time around, I was startled at how young they looked and thought they couldn't possibly be the same band from 16 years previously... It turns out that at any given time there are up to 4 Bjorn Agains on tour in different regions of the world with a revolving door line-up, but coordinated by the same mastermind from Australia.

• 1 month later...