Mercury nominations

gigpusher

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Been on the list to listen to for a while now, guess I'll finally have to get around to it now...

Yeah I really like it. Saw them live at the end of last year and they were great. Lilac live in particular was fantastic. 

Their song “eugh” on their debut is well worth checking out as well. 

Just now, WhoOdyssey said:

No complaints so far, I can already tell twitter won't be happy with Dua Lipa which is a shame

I actually caught her live at Glastonbury when I turned up early to the JP tent for whoever was on after her and she sounded great. 

The Laura Marling one in particular does raise an interesting question after yesterday's debate.  Given that she's been around for a while and is an established artist, should she be eligible? Or does being less "mainstream" give more established artists a pass?

The flip side is Dua Lipa - only her second album but more mainstream friendly and arguably a bigger name.  Should she be excluded for being too "pop"?

Exercising the old brain cells a bit this morning.

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I actually caught her live at Glastonbury when I turned up early to the JP tent for whoever was on after her and she sounded great. 

Saw her at Benicassim. Great live, really surprised how much I enjoyed it. Got tix to her (now rearranged) show at the O2, hopefully it'll go ahead!

Just now, Quark said:

The Laura Marling one in particular does raise an interesting question after yesterday's debate.  Given that she's been around for a while and is an established artist, should she be eligible? Or does being less "mainstream" give more established artists a pass?

The flip side is Dua Lipa - only her second album but more mainstream friendly and arguably a bigger name.  Should she be excluded for being too "pop"?

Exercising the old brain cells a bit this morning.

As I said yesterday it should be about best album and not how big the act is. I'll argue any day of the week that Amy Winehouse - Back To Black should have won over was it The Klaxons?? Simply because it was by far the superior album and Mercury's is meant to be in celebration of the album as an art form.