Mercury nominations

gigpusher

On 7/23/2020 at 12:00 PM, maelzoid said:

Fast forward to after midnight, when the main stages had closed and we were in one of the remaining tents still pushing out music and it was the Sports Team DJ set. This consisted of them playing the most obvious popular hits that got the crowd cheering, Parklife, Common People etc. But with the added bonus of Sports team's singer, fully mic'd up and singing over the top of them. The low point was his rendition of Robbie Williams' Angels (a song I loathe). Disregarding the low-common denominator choices they were playing, or even the brio of thinking that people would want to enjoy ad hoc karaoke versions of same, the real problem was this guy, by any measure you like, cannot sing. It felt like not a single note was on pitch, especially as he yodeled "...and through it aalllllllllllllll....". We left soon after.

Dreadful shit. I hate them.

Keeping with sports team, Alex posted this today about the truck karaoke haha

89EE608B-DBFD-4647-9804-7957D6FF4F4F.png

I've got less sympathy for her on this tbh.  Mercury criteria are what they are, it's a UK music award.  Japan won't allow dual citizenship and she's opted to retain her Japanese citizenship despite living in the UK.  All fine, all her choice, but it does exclude her.

There might be a case for the Mercury to look at its criteria and allow for residential as well as citizenship, but that's a conversation to have.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Quark said:

I've got less sympathy for her on this tbh.  Mercury criteria are what they are, it's a UK music award.  Japan won't allow dual citizenship and she's opted to retain her Japanese citizenship despite living in the UK.  All fine, all her choice, but it does exclude her.

There might be a case for the Mercury to look at its criteria and allow for residential as well as citizenship, but that's a conversation to have.

I assumed thats what this article was, pointing out the stupid rule that people wouldnt have been aware of (at least I wasn't). It does seem silly that someone who has lived in the uk for their whole life is not eligible, but someone who does have citizenship but lived in america their whole life is.

Depends how you view the term British I guess, if its a more ethnicity/citizenship based thing or more of a cultural thing. Hard to draw a line as you're always going to get acts who are just one side or the other depending on the criteria

3 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Depends how you view the term British I guess, if its a more ethnicity/citizenship based thing or more of a cultural thing. Hard to draw a line as you're always going to get acts who are just one side or the other depending on the criteria

That's why I don't have an issue with it tbh. With the passport thing it's a nice, simple, clear test. Yes or no. It avoids all the arguments about how british someone is, and just boils it down to a very simple test.

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

That's why I don't have an issue with it tbh. With the passport thing it's a nice, simple, clear test. Yes or no. It avoids all the arguments about how british someone is, and just boils it down to a very simple test.

But the indefinite right to remain is the alternative option to getting a passport that is provided for people from countries who don't offer dual citizenship (as far as i understand it)

4 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

But the indefinite right to remain is the alternative option to getting a passport that is provided for people from countries who don't offer dual citizenship (as far as i understand it)

Oh don't get me wrong I think that they could look at the criteria and update them, but a clear set of guidelines is in place to remove ambiguity. If they update it to a continuous residence for a set period of time, then that's fine too. 

I can just see the clear benefits of avoiding the vague and subjective discussion of "how British" an act is.

Reading some of her interview it does come across that she wants to have her cake and eat it tbh. "I feel other"; well, if you opt not to take a British passport and be a British citizen then yeah, you are kind of other. I get her reasons for keeping Japanese citizenship and not taking British, and have absolutely zero issues with it or her having indefinite leave to stay. I just find it...interesting that she now seems to have a view on how British she is or isn't when it affects her career.

10 hours ago, Quark said:

Christ, I know what I mean but some of my post really does have the whiff of "I'm not racist but..." about it :lol:

LOL!! 

I get what you mean. I am eligible for a British Passport I choose not to have one. If it means one day they kick me out I'd leave rather than get one. I understand her saying it makes you feel othered because it does but if you could get one and choose not to then it is a choice and I might object if they said they were taking my vote away or something like that but I wouldn't complain about not being able to enter a competition. 

If I had my way we'd all be global citizens of planet earth and we'd do away with countries, nations etc anyway. 

• 1 month later...

If anyone is going to have a flutter on this, I'd recommend Oddschecker to get the best price. 

Most bookies seem consistent but there are some real differences on a few, everyone's favs Sports Team are as short as short as 8/1 with Sky Bet, but as big as 33/1 with Paddy Power, for example.

Personally I might put a few pennies on Anna Meredith at 18/1.

2 hours ago, Fish Bulb said:

If anyone is going to have a flutter on this, I'd recommend Oddschecker to get the best price. 

Most bookies seem consistent but there are some real differences on a few, everyone's favs Sports Team are as short as short as 8/1 with Sky Bet, but as big as 33/1 with Paddy Power, for example.

Personally I might put a few pennies on Anna Meredith at 18/1.

5/2 is actually pretty exceptional for Kiwanuka.

• 3 weeks later...