Mercury nominations

gigpusher

5 hours ago, maelzoid said:

Over on the Truck festival board I am known as the guy that hates Sports Team, so possibly I'll get a mention over there now after this.

The reason I hate Sports Team: I saw them at Truck last year. They were one of the bands playing on the 2nd stage mid-afternoon and had a fair bit of good word about them. I was not especially impressed - the very definition of indie landfill as far as I could tell, (cf the Amazons, Blossoms), but not per se bad. Kids down the front seemed to be loving it, so who am I to get in the way of that. Fast forward to after midnight, when the main stages had closed and we were in one of the remaining tents still pushing out music and it was the Sports Team DJ set. This consisted of them playing the most obvious popular hits that got the crowd cheering, Parklife, Common People etc. But with the added bonus of Sports team's singer, fully mic'd up and singing over the top of them. The low point was his rendition of Robbie Williams' Angels (a song I loathe). Disregarding the low-common denominator choices they were playing, or even the brio of thinking that people would want to enjoy ad hoc karaoke versions of same, the real problem was this guy, by any measure you like, cannot sing. It felt like not a single note was on pitch, especially as he yodeled "...and through it aalllllllllllllll....". We left soon after.

Dreadful shit. I hate them.

Upvoted to balance out the downvote - your post is a thoughtfully delivered and considered opinion, backed up with a genuine personal reason. 
Agree or not, that’s to be respected. 
I'm a bit in the fence - I sort of like what I’ve heard of Sports Team, but am instinctively a bit anti-things that are being hugely pushed on commercial/mainstream radio. 

I’m going to listen to all the Mercury nominations in full, so I’ll form a fuller opinion in due course. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Cheers Quark for your kind words. Yep, it won't take me long to start screaming at posts on here - especially when people start suggesting Harry Styles, Spice Girls & Little Mix to headline the greatest festival on earth! Bloody nora! - Matt42, I'm talking to you!!!

Don't think he ever said headline though, did he? 

Hmm, maybe not - I was kind of joking though!

There's a serious point though about how I hope that Glasto doesn't turn into the radio 1 big weekend - what I love about it is the variety of music on offer & that even a 55 year old geezer like me can find plenty of great stuff to watch.

I know it's not all about pyramid headliners - I've not seen one since Arcade Fire (would have seen The Cure but didn't get tickets last year) - but I'd hate for it to be 3 pop headliners every year. Us oldies need to feel welcome too (and we do at the moment!)

10 minutes ago, Punksnotdead said:

Hmm, maybe not - I was kind of joking though!

There's a serious point though about how I hope that Glasto doesn't turn into the radio 1 big weekend - what I love about it is the variety of music on offer & that even a 55 year old geezer like me can find plenty of great stuff to watch.

I know it's not all about pyramid headliners - I've not seen one since Arcade Fire (would have seen The Cure but didn't get tickets last year) - but I'd hate for it to be 3 pop headliners every year. Us oldies need to feel welcome too (and we do at the moment!)

Would you be annoyed if there was even one year where the top 3 were contemporary acts? Could easily see something along the lines of The 1975 // Kendrick Lamar // Dua Lipa happening at some point and i imagine a lot of older people will be annoyed when that day does come

Only if that was reflected across all the main stages. Like I said I haven't seen a pymild headliner since 2014 and I've always had an amazing time. I can usually find something on Park, Williams Green, Avalon or Leftfield that I love.

Having said that, I would love to see at least one more headliner on the pointy stage before I call it a day - Depeche Mode or Neil Young again would be ideal!

I'm making my way through the albums, currently on Laura Marling. 

Does anyone else just find her so dull? They love her on radio 6 but I do not get it

I've always been on board for MK but since listening I think Moses Boyd may have a chance too, I love the jazz vibes as usually struggle with jazz ( I swear I heard somewhere only intelligent people "get" jazz... rude)

6 minutes ago, gmb1992 said:

I'm making my way through the albums, currently on Laura Marling. 

Does anyone else just find her so dull? They love her on radio 6 but I do not get it

I've always been on board for MK but since listening I think Moses Boyd may have a chance too, I love the jazz vibes as usually struggle with jazz ( I swear I heard somewhere only intelligent people "get" jazz... rude)

Oh no I really love this Laura Marling one. If it weren't for Kiwanuka I think I would really be wanting her to win and I don't automatically love everything she has ever done. Moses Boyd is one I need to pay a bit more attention to at the moment because as background music It's not really grabbing me at the moment.

Takes all sorts though and it wouldn't do for us all to be the same or else the Pyramid Stage would be packed every year and there'd be no need for other stages. :D 

7 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Takes all sorts though and it wouldn't do for us all to be the same or else the Pyramid Stage would be packed every year and there'd be no need for other stages. :D 

Yeah I agree, I'm enjoying giving them all a listen to get out of my comfort zone a bit too.

1 minute ago, gmb1992 said:

Yeah I agree, I'm enjoying giving them all a listen to get out of my comfort zone a bit too.

I do it every year. I like to think there is no genre I hate but there are no doubt some where it has to be exceptional for me to enjoy it. I also find there are some things I love live that I wouldn't really choose to sit at home and listen to and some I just have to be in the mood for. 

26 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Only heard 4 of the albums. Kiwanuka's easily the stand out.

The hate for sports team makes me laugh. I dont mind them to be honest.

I think thats why people dislike them though - they're alright but nothing special. Meanwhile they act like they are the next beetles in interviews...

People don't like Matty Healys ego, but at least he has a fair amount of talent and The 1975 keep it relatively fresh...

2 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

I think thats why people dislike them though - they're alright but nothing special. Meanwhile they act like they are the next beetles in interviews...

People don't like Matty Healys ego, but at least he has a fair amount of talent and The 1975 keep it relatively fresh...

Only ever seen 1 interview with him. I really liked him. Talked about addiction troubles, mental health, horse therapy and overcoming problems.

I just find the songs fucking awful.

Do Sports Team act like that? Never watched an interview. I did see them at the White Hotel support the Parrots 2 years ago. There were about 60 people there and I spoke to them afterwards. They were all sound at the time. Shame if they have changed following a splash of moderate fame.

• Upvote 1

Just now, FuzzyDunlop said:

Only ever seen 1 interview with him. I really liked him. Talked about addiction troubles, mental health, horse therapy and overcoming problems.

I just find the songs fucking awful.

Do Sports Team act like that? Never watched an interview. I did see them at the White Hotel support the Parrots 2 years ago. There were about 60 people there and I spoke to them afterwards. They were all sound at the time. Shame if they have changed following a splash of moderate fame.

"These are the middle-class kids who might have turned to rap, but now have, in Sports Team, a band singing about their lives."

This shitty quote and more can be found in this guardian interview: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/27/sports-team-the-indie-stars-romanticising-middle-england

16 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

"These are the middle-class kids who might have turned to rap, but now have, in Sports Team, a band singing about their lives."

This shitty quote and more can be found in this guardian interview: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/dec/27/sports-team-the-indie-stars-romanticising-middle-england

Not the best of interviews to be fair.

Absolutely delighted to see the wonderful "Spook The Herd" from Lanterns on the Lake on the list. Probably my favourite album of the year.

Got tickets to see them in Newcastle next year (delayed from this) and will probably buy a couple of tickets for Stockton before they win this (they probably won't). Delighted to see Anna Meredith and Michael Kiwanuka there too. More interesting list than some recent years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

Absolutely delighted to see the wonderful "Spook The Herd" from Lanterns on the Lake on the list. Probably my favourite album of the year.

Got tickets to see them in Newcastle next year (delayed from this) and will probably buy a couple of tickets for Stockton before they win this (they probably won't). Delighted to see Anna Meredith and Michael Kiwanuka there too. More interesting list than some recent years.

Second this. The added factor is that they are most definitely a part time band struggling to make ends meet. Hazel Wilde, the lead vocalist, actually works in Newcastle University admin as her main job. They are not on the Lipa/Marling/Kiwanuka trajectory. They need any help they can get after 12 years, and they are still plugging away..

On 7/24/2020 at 11:13 PM, Mattymooz said:

For me it's the simple fact the songs are staggeringly weak. I wouldn't mine that the drummer can't actually keep in time live if the songs were vaguely good. 

Edited by danbailey80