Mercury nominations

gigpusher

Just now, Brave Sir Robin said:

I like(d) some of the singles, in fairness, but seeing them live found them awfully repetitive and try-hard.

I also can’t help but think of this from Twitter whenever I hear of them :lol:

98F5F951-A4D4-4A89-8B7C-EDB458C0E2E9.jpeg

That is objectively funny. I approve.

That's interesting about them live though. I saw them back in 2016 at a tiny festival, and I did feel like they were overdoing the rock star schtick a wee bit.  Wondered how they'd be with that now. Still go see them if they pop up mind :)

Delighted to see Porridge Radio, Michael Kiwanuka and Anna Meredith on the shortlist. Porridge Radio are one of my 2/3 favourite bands of the past couple of years and over the moon to see them get recognition for an album which really manages to get across the simultaneous angst and emotion of their live performances.

Sports Team and Dua Lipa. Not sure what the point of either of those nominations is.

Would've loved to see Warmduscher, Richard Dawson and Pozi on there.

Also a couple of artists/albums I don't know too well, so will investigate those!

Over on the Truck festival board I am known as the guy that hates Sports Team, so possibly I'll get a mention over there now after this.

The reason I hate Sports Team: I saw them at Truck last year. They were one of the bands playing on the 2nd stage mid-afternoon and had a fair bit of good word about them. I was not especially impressed - the very definition of indie landfill as far as I could tell, (cf the Amazons, Blossoms), but not per se bad. Kids down the front seemed to be loving it, so who am I to get in the way of that. Fast forward to after midnight, when the main stages had closed and we were in one of the remaining tents still pushing out music and it was the Sports Team DJ set. This consisted of them playing the most obvious popular hits that got the crowd cheering, Parklife, Common People etc. But with the added bonus of Sports team's singer, fully mic'd up and singing over the top of them. The low point was his rendition of Robbie Williams' Angels (a song I loathe). Disregarding the low-common denominator choices they were playing, or even the brio of thinking that people would want to enjoy ad hoc karaoke versions of same, the real problem was this guy, by any measure you like, cannot sing. It felt like not a single note was on pitch, especially as he yodeled "...and through it aalllllllllllllll....". We left soon after.

Dreadful shit. I hate them.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I suppose if Nadine Shah had been slating Sports Team instead of The 1975, we'd be a lot more sympathetic to her...

Even allowing for your clear love of Sports Team, I'd still say no.

If the list made it look like the Brit Awards Mk 2 then she might have had a point, but in the context of that list it really does just stink that she chucked a strop she didn't get invited.

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I’m glad the Mercury bods read what I (and Nadine) had to say about the 1975 album and removed it from the shortlist at the last minute. The power of eFests in action.

Remember BSR, with great power comes great responsibility.

Seems a mostly decent list as usual with a few I haven't listened to.

Laura Marling (along with Run the Jewels) is the album of the year so far for me. Very pleased to see Michael Kiwanuka, Anna Meredith and Porridge Radio on there as well. It would be good to see any of those win it.

Hi - long time viewer, first time poster here. FWIW, here's my opinions:

Laura Marling - would love her to win but don't think she will.

Dua Lipa - not for me, not a lover of pure pop (as my user name implies).

Porridge Radio - yes please, brilliant band, fantastic album

Sports Team - love this band but they've got no chance - if Fontaines or Idles didn't win, then neither should this!

Kano - only artist I know nothing about. Don't want it to win though as a couple of grime artists have won recently.

Anna Meredith - my idea of the winner - massive critical acclaim & about time a solo female won.

Georgia - seems like a nice kid but not really my thing.

Lanterns on the Lake - this would be my 1st choice - absolutely gorgeous album. Won't win though!

Moses Boyd - Wouldn't surprise me if it won. Jazz has been huge in recent years & judges might want to reflect that.

Charli XCX - Sorry, I know loads of you love her, but I think she's dreadful! Saw her at G in 2017 & it went straight into my top ten worst acts I've ever seen!

Stormzy - Nope - too big and he doesn't need it like some of the others.

Kiwanuka - probably bookies favourite but favourite's hardly ever win this. Thought the album plodded in places - it does have the best song on the list tho (Hero - absolute banger).

• Upvote 1

For me this is one of the great things about the Mercury Prize the variety of acts and the passion behind the debate. I also like that they try to objectively compare things that can't be compared. Such different genres etc it's like saying which is best a chair or a torch and the answer would be it depends on the circumstances I suppose. 

I love that there can never, ever be consensus. It's not like you'll ever get a time when everyone says yep they nailed it. I imagine the judges room on the night must be hellish if there's a slight majority for one you are really not keen on. It's kind of a great metaphor for music itself. Inspires such love, such hate, such passion and debate and everyone loves different things. 

50 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Am a bit surprised at no Murder Capital. Irish acts are allowed aren't they?

Girl Band are far and away the best of the very loose 'loud Irish band with guitars' cheers

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Girl Band are far and away the best of the very loose 'loud Irish band with guitars' cheers

This is the other good thing about the Mercury's all the conversations about who should be nominated give you a whole other playlist. Ireland does seem to have a few bands of this ilk around at the moment. I've not really listened to Girl Band (name puts me off) but I'll get over it and give them a list in the next few days. 

2 hours ago, mattiloy said:

Wouldnt have minded seeing pigspigspigspigspigspigspigs on the list

I finally got round to listening to that the other day, was convinced I was going to love it but just found it a bit ploddy. Surprising, really thought I'd be kicking myself for not listening to it sooner.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I finally got round to listening to that the other day, was convinced I was going to love it but just found it a bit ploddy. Surprising, really thought I'd be kicking myself for not listening to it sooner.

I thought it was solid, albeit I’d probably agree that their earlier EPs have better individual tracks - sweet relief, gnt in particular.

2 hours ago, Punksnotdead said:

Hi - long time viewer, first time poster here. FWIW, here's my opinions:

Laura Marling - would love her to win but don't think she will.

Dua Lipa - not for me, not a lover of pure pop (as my user name implies).

Porridge Radio - yes please, brilliant band, fantastic album

Sports Team - love this band but they've got no chance - if Fontaines or Idles didn't win, then neither should this!

Kano - only artist I know nothing about. Don't want it to win though as a couple of grime artists have won recently.

Anna Meredith - my idea of the winner - massive critical acclaim & about time a solo female won.

Georgia - seems like a nice kid but not really my thing.

Lanterns on the Lake - this would be my 1st choice - absolutely gorgeous album. Won't win though!

Moses Boyd - Wouldn't surprise me if it won. Jazz has been huge in recent years & judges might want to reflect that.

Charli XCX - Sorry, I know loads of you love her, but I think she's dreadful! Saw her at G in 2017 & it went straight into my top ten worst acts I've ever seen!

Stormzy - Nope - too big and he doesn't need it like some of the others.

Kiwanuka - probably bookies favourite but favourite's hardly ever win this. Thought the album plodded in places - it does have the best song on the list tho (Hero - absolute banger).

Welcome.  This is a reasonable, balanced, well thought through and worded first post.

You'll soon learn though :D