Mercury nominations

gigpusher

13 minutes ago, priest17 said:

No one having Sorry or HMLTD? 

Gonna look a wallie when the next post is the link to the noms and neither are there.

ooo I'd like to see Sorry there. Keep forgetting that Hmltd even finally released their debut - that's how little an impact it had for me. :(

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

ooo I'd like to see Sorry there. Keep forgetting that Hmltd even finally released their debut - that's how little an impact it had for me. :(

I'll look out for Happy Meal's angry anti1975 tweets tomorrow if the judges agree with you there. I think it had plenty to it, dunno if it'd get a nod here though. They've kinda been thrown out by the industry at this point and seem happy enough with the arrangement on their end.

I also wanna throw out a thumbs up to Porridge Radio as well as a fucking great recent British album but I can't see them on the list later today unfortunately.

Fuck it, give Gogo Penguin the jazz nom as well. AGAIN.

8 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I literally said it got 1-star reviews in the post you quoted. What you bolded is true, but you’ve read something else out of it that I wasn’t saying.

You’re doing your best to avoid the point I’m making. She’s acted like a critically irrelevant megastar has scooped a nomination instead of her, this is not true and acting this way has made her look like a twat.

And yes, comparing one piece of art to a previous piece is useless here. Compare it to the other albums that had come out that year instead. It says nothing about being the act's magnum opus in the criteria.

I haven't avoided that point because it's different to what you've said before. Sure, this is not a  "critically irrelevant megastar", no-one suggested that, but it is an album by a hugely popular band that got a great big thumbs down from the majority of critics. Those two aren't far apart.

There are loads of albums released this year that received more critical acclaim, and would better fulfil the criteria of exposing new acts to new audiences. No way does the 1975 album tick either of those boxes.

Shah may have gone a little over the top but hey, she's an artist and that's what makes life interesting. I agree with her 100%. This award isn't supposed to be the Brits 2.

7 hours ago, priest17 said:

I also wanna throw out a thumbs up to Porridge Radio as well as a fucking great recent British album but I can't see them on the list later today unfortunately.

Fuck it, give Gogo Penguin the jazz nom as well. AGAIN.

Agree re Porridge Radio. Though I could see it making the list.

As for the jazz nomination, maybe Moses Boyd?

Well looks like we'll all find out this morning

Seems our runaway leader is Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka 

Jessie Ware and Stormzy are other strong contenders 

Nadine Shah is obviously out of the running! 

Laura Marling and Sam Fender are also winners of multiple e-fests votes. 

1975 are we know already nominated. 

After the announcement we can do a poll to see what is the e-fests favourite. 

Just now, Yellow Chicken said:

Poll or Hurt/Heal game?

I'd prefer a poll. I like to focus on the positive. I might give it a while so we can listen to any of the albums we are not familiar with. I'm a firm believer that we can't really judge until we've heard them all. I'm hopeful that this year I will have heard of more of them as for some reason I seem to have had a bit more free time to listen to new music than normal. 

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

This thread is just reminding me of all the good albums that have come out last year, wow

When is the nomination announcement?

10:30, Lauren Laverne is doing it on 6music

2 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

This thread is just reminding me of all the good albums that have come out last year, wow

6 Music announcing from 10:30 onwards until about 11:30, not sure if there's going to be a single 10:30 drop on the Mercury site

Edited by Quark
Tuna beat me to it

9 hours ago, priest17 said:

No one having Sorry or HMLTD? 

Gonna look a wallie when the next post is the link to the noms and neither are there.

I think I'd give the Mercury to FKA Twigs, but that Sorry album is brilliant. Pretty much my favourite record of the year so far. The gig at Yes is going to be great when it eventually goes ahead in like 2023.

4 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Subject to work not going crazy I will try and update as and when they are announced on this thread for those who don't have the chance to listen to the radio.