Everyday Life - Coldplay

Hypersonic Missiles - Sam Fender 

Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 2 - Foals

Earth - EOB

RYC - Mura Masa

Notes - The 1975

Heavy is the Head - Stormzy

Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa 

I don’t know if all of these will make the list, these would be what I would consider as the possibilities.

thanks for reminding me of the Mura Masa album. Genuinely one of the worst albums I've heard in about 10 years. Loved the first one but this one was bordering on unlistenable it was that bad.

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nadine looks to have gone apeshit on the Mercurys.  Someone's posted her original tweets in the comments, sadly looks like I was right about the 1975 appearing...

I hope the Mercurys doesn't turn into the Brits 2. The 1975 really don't deserve a nomination for their recent album

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

Nadine looks to have gone apeshit on the Mercurys.  Someone's posted her original tweets in the comments, sadly looks like I was right about the 1975 appearing...

Wow, she's totally in the right on this one. Nominating the 1975 but not her is appalling. Although 'FUCK YOU MUSIC INDUSTRY! YOU ARE c**tS!' may not make her too many friends in high places. 

1 minute ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Wow, she's totally in the right on this one. Nominating the 1975 but not her is appalling. Although 'FUCK YOU MUSIC INDUSTRY! YOU ARE c**tS!' may not make her too many friends in high places. 

She definitely doesn't mince her words does she?

The only thing I can think of for having her tweets deleted is that the nominees aren't meant to be announced until tomorrow.

If the 1975 album is nominated then it really is a sign that the Mercurys are a mile away from what they were / should be. Aside from them being huge, the album is not the quality you'd expect for a nomination.  Metacritic average score of 6.9 doesn't scream songwriting genius. And neither does an overblown near hour and half of 22 tracks.

Sounds like this year could be a bad year for the Mercury's. I always listen to each of the albums 3 times at least to make a proper judgement so could have done without knowing how long that 1975 album is :D Thanks @Quark

Mind you I was surprised by some of the suggestions in this thread despite people saying what a great year for women it has been there was a lot of typical white men with guitars mentioned. I mean I am pretty ambivalent about Coldplay neither love nor hate them but I have not heard any buzz about that album. I wonder are people stating people who they think will be nominated or is this just a sign that people do think the Mercury's have gone a bit Brits!!

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Lol why does she think she's entitled to a nomination? I'm not really fighting The 1975's corner on this, but it's hardly that outlandish for them to be there. Nadine Shah could have easily missed out even with the omission of NOACF.

• Upvote 2

Tbh I've felt for years that the Mercury's is having a bit of an identity crisis.

I think a lot of people, myself included, used to see it as a way to reward slightly lesser known / more abstract artists. But it seems to be going the other way with nominations of AM, Dave, maybe The 1975. 

Could just be me though. 

Just now, zeppelin said:

Tbh I've felt for years that the Mercury's is having a bit of an identity crisis.

I think a lot of people, myself included, used to see it as a way to reward slightly lesser known / more abstract artists. But it seems to be going the other way with nominations of AM, Dave, maybe The 1975. 

Could just be me though. 

I'll be honest I think there are a lot more mainstream nominations but Dave's album is a really poor example of them. He may be quite famous but that album is a masterclass and hardly full of throwaway chart tunes. It is for me at least a great example of the Mercury's doing their job correctly for me. It's an album I might have missed otherwise and it is a complete piece of work. In fact I don't think many other albums in recent years have had that same impact on me. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Completely agree with her. Mercury Prize should be for smaller acts, and the Brits should be for the big names.

Queen Nadine 👏

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'll be honest I think there are a lot more mainstream nominations but Dave's album is a really poor example of them. He may be quite famous but that album is a masterclass and hardly full of throwaway chart tunes. It is for me at least a great example of the Mercury's doing their job correctly for me. It's an album I might have missed otherwise and it is a complete piece of work. In fact I don't think many other albums in recent years have had that same impact on me. 

Fair enough. I was merely going on him being mentioned above and at a level I don't think of the Mercury's being for. 

I mean I didn't rate her album at all but agreed there are way better alternatives to The 1975... Getting it down to 12 is really quite difficult. Off the top of my head, I could see any of these on here (and thats not including crap like The 1975 and Mura Masa that will probably get a nom too)

Michael Kiwanuka - KIWANUKA

Tom Misch & Yussef Dayes - What Kinda Music

Charli XCX - Charli

Jessie Ware - Whats Your Pleasure?

J Hus - Big Conspiracy

Lianne La Havas - Lianne La Havas

Sports Team - Deep Down Happy

Laura Marling - Songs For Our Daughter

Rina Sawayama - SAWAYAMA

Richard Dawson - 2020

Sam Fender - Hypersonic Missiles

Stormzy - Heavy Is The Head

Mahalia - Love & Comprimise

FKA Twigs - Magdelene

Metronomy - Metronomy Forever

Edited by Mattymooz

Just now, zeppelin said:

Fair enough. I was merely going on him being mentioned above and at a level I don't think of the Mercury's being for. 

For me I would hate to see it going to just being for new artists. I think it's about celebrating the album as an art form and anyone who creates an album that is fantastic should have a shot but at the same time I suppose you don't want all the Brit nominees merely being repeated. 

35 minutes ago, Odessa said:

Lol why does she think she's entitled to a nomination? I'm not really fighting The 1975's corner on this, but it's hardly that outlandish for them to be there. Nadine Shah could have easily missed out even with the omission of NOACF.

13 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Can disagree with The 1975 being nominated but being incredulous that you didn't just stinks of arrogance. 

Yeah, it's not a great look.  Regardless of whether the 1975 should be there, the assumption that she should be on there don't look great. Although given how monumentally pissed off she sounded it may have been a poor wording choice.

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, it's not a great look.  Regardless of whether the 1975 should be there, the assumption that she should be on there don't look great. Although given how monumentally pissed off she sounded it may have been a poor wording choice.

Yep I also am not keen on singling one nominee out as being unworthy even if I agree. Their popularity is not their fault. TBF I think a lot of people have been saying she was a shoe in for a nomination so it could just be a touch of embarrassment at not being nominated. It's not like her as she is usually pretty encouraging of other artists.