Mercury nominations

gigpusher

So the nominations are due to be announced on Thursday and I thought I'd see how close to guessing them we could all get. If we all add the albums we think are likely to appear I'll tot them up on Wednesday night and see what the e-festivals take on them is. 

for clarity  this is what is eligible. 

Albums released between 20 July 2019 and 17 July 2020 (inclusive) are eligible for the 2020 Hyundai Mercury Prize. 

All forms of contemporary music from Great Britain and Ireland are eligible for the Mercury Prize.

57 minutes ago, Sam Y said:

Once the nominations are out can someone make a poll of all of them so we can vote?

Will do. I know people complain about them and say they are irrelevant but I really like the Mercurys! Will also see how many we got right. Will try (work permitting) to announce our top 12 on Thursday morning. 

2 hours ago, Quark said:

1975 will be in there. I mean they shouldn't, but they will.

They were nominated last year have they had another album since then. Genuine question as they're one of those bands I just don't get so don't even attempt to keep up to date with. 

Just now, gigpusher said:

They were nominated last year have they had another album since then. Genuine question as they're one of those bands I just don't get so don't even attempt to keep up to date with. 

Yeah, had Notes On A Conditional Form earlier this year.  

Also, and I hate to do this, the one before that was in 2018....more than 18 months ago now!

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Yeah, had Notes On A Conditional Form earlier this year.  

Also, and I hate to do this, the one before that was in 2018....more than 18 months ago now!

I'm fairly proud of my lack of familiarity with their discography so don't worry. I just remember them on the list last year so I did listen to it at least 3 times and genuinely couldn't tell you the name of a song from it!! :D 

1 minute ago, gigpusher said:

I'm fairly proud of my lack of familiarity with their discography so don't worry. I just remember them on the list last year so I did listen to it at least 3 times and genuinely couldn't tell you the name of a song from it!! :D 

Take a stab at something about 20 words long and apparently meaningless and you've probably nailed it

• Like 1

Kiwanuka - Michael Kiwanuka

Everyday Life - Coldplay

Hypersonic Missiles - Sam Fender 

Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 2 - Foals

Earth - EOB

RYC - Mura Masa

Notes - The 1975

Heavy is the Head - Stormzy

Future Nostalgia - Dua Lipa 

I don’t know if all of these will make the list, these would be what I would consider as the possibilities.

Edited by TKOCF

5 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Are you guessing his latest infliction?

Lol, yeah he does seem to suffer a bit. I saw him at a Jools Holland TV show a year or so ago, and he was mesmerising, I would love to have seen him again since, but each time there seems to have been a 'mishap' of some kind, including glasto last year. I am sure I am just unlucky I'm sure

21 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

Lol, yeah he does seem to suffer a bit. I saw him at a Jools Holland TV show a year or so ago, and he was mesmerising, I would love to have seen him again since, but each time there seems to have been a 'mishap' of some kind, including glasto last year. I am sure I am just unlucky I'm sure

I think he's the unlucky one!

I don't think he'll win but would be pretty sure of a nomination. I rate him and think he could deliver something really special on the next album if he works with the right people.