Music festivals and the future

taylor_247

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

Tin cans? Luxury! When we wanted to communicate someone would give me the message and I'd have to run across the site looking for the other guy. I'd do that 26 hours a day with no shoes on and only half a discarded growler to keep me going.

weren't there message boards back in the day at the meeting points .... cant quite work out how people knew to look at them though ? :) 

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

weren't there message boards back in the day at the meeting points .... cant quite work out how people knew to look at them though ? :) 

We made plans...  Lots of them. And they very rarely worked.

Seriously, we'd say things like "if we get split up, we meet at the meeting point" and then when we invariably turned up at different times, left a message saying to meet again at a specific time... Which was generally ignored then we met back at the tent.

1 minute ago, stuartbert two hats said:

We made plans...  Lots of them. And they very rarely worked.

Seriously, we'd say things like "if we get split up, we meet at the meeting point" and then when we invariably turned up at different times, left a message saying to meet again at a specific time... Which was generally ignored then we met back at the tent.

I think they were around in my early days 2002 was my first ... but im also fairly sure the old nokia worked back then  so never had the need , ... although the delays on texts arriving could cause many issues .... most of them used to arrive early morning ..... in those days one battery survived the whole fest without the need to turn the phone off overnight :) 

6 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think they were around in my early days 2002 was my first ... but im also fairly sure the old nokia worked back then  so never had the need , ... although the delays on texts arriving could cause many issues .... most of them used to arrive early morning ..... in those days one battery survived the whole fest without the need to turn the phone off overnight :) 

In 1997, only the richest had mobiles. And they didn't work on site then either.

9 hours ago, taylor_247 said:

That’s probably true but this is a research project and it’s not unusual for research to focus on a specific age range. I’ve never said that over 35’s don’t attend music festival 

What a bizarre approach! 

A survey where respondents can’t answer the second question and therefore give up is a poorly written survey. 

You are missing out vital information - why would you not be interested in what the over 35’s have to say about the future of festivals? We’ve done a lot of festivals (apart from this year obvs) with current tech, old tech and no tech at all. People 35+ also have more money to spend than students for example. 

Please, if you don’t take our advice ask your tutor or something, because you’re going to fuck up here! 

Edited by stuie

6 hours ago, Havors said:

You're going to fail your dissertation when your tutor sees you have omitted a massive amount of data from over 35''s which is very relevant.... Kind of makes any conclusions or opinion you draw to be flawed or plain wrong? 

Your dissertation is to determine the future of festivals, tech and new experiences.... not how do under 35's feel about festivals and tech

Defo getting a 3rd if your lucky. :D  ;) 

Thanks for your kind words, this wasn't meant to offend those outside of the sample age group. The sample group was chosen based on previous research and was planned with my advisors input and recommendations. 

3 hours ago, stuie said:

What a bizarre approach! 

A survey where respondents can’t answer the second question and therefore give up is a poorly written survey. 

You are missing out vital information - why would you not be interested in what the over 35’s have to say about the future of festivals? We’ve done a lot of festivals (apart from this year obvs) with current tech, old tech and no tech at all. People 35+ also have more money to spend than students for example. 

Please, if you don’t take our advice ask your tutor or something, because you’re going to fuck up here! 

I appreciate the feedback, the sample group was chosen based on research with input from my advisor. It also not unusual for research to focus on a specified age range. 

Edited by taylor_247

4 minutes ago, taylor_247 said:

I appreciate the feedback, the sample group was chosen based on research with input from my advisor. It also not unusual for research to focus on a specified age range. 

You have an advisor ? This becomes more unbelievable by the second !! Was he called Dominic ? 

9 hours ago, taylor_247 said:

It’s not unusual to focus research at an age range if a product is focussed at an age range.

At the very least, you should have mentioned the age limit in your post so you don’t waste people’s time. 

And I still think you are wrong and your ‘advisor’ has done you a disservice. 

41 minutes ago, Quark said:

OK kids, I think the point about age range and us old bastards feeling left out has been pretty well made now.

😂 I might be sensitive about just turning 40... but I also very definitely see my future self at festivals! 

11 hours ago, taylor_247 said:

Has your advisor ever been to a music festival? If not they are in no position to advise you or set the topic of survey. Erroneous survey's lead to erroneous answers 😦

2 hours ago, stuie said:

It’s not unusual to focus research at an age range if a product is focussed at an age range.

At the very least, you should have mentioned the age limit in your post so you don’t waste people’s time. 

And I still think you are wrong and your ‘advisor’ has done you a disservice. 

Previously research and surveys literally indicates that main stream music festivals is aimed at Generation Z and Millennials. My advisor is a leading researcher in the field of tourism and events, with experience in the field of music festivals. I think I’ll take their word for it. I do take your point that I should have included the age range in the post. 

Edited by taylor_247

The next question seems to be is Glastonbury a mainstream festival? It’s pretty unique in the way its run especially even compared to the typical arena based festival. It’s also has it’s own culture that is vastly different to the average teen based festival experience. 

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

The next question seems to be is Glastonbury a mainstream festival? It’s pretty unique in the way its run especially even compared to the typical arena based festival. It’s also has it’s own culture that is vastly different to the average teen based festival experience. 

Yep it's mainstream. It's got things that set it apart (lack of corporates, completely open site) but it gets massive coverage on the BBC, is the most well known festival in the UK if not the world, and headliners have included Adele, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift (yes I know), Kanye and Killers.

It welcomes the alternative, but it's mainstream.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I would agree that Glastonbury is a very different festival to many of the other mainstream festivals, Glastonbury certainly isn't aimed at a specified age range compared to others like Reading and Leeds festivals. Research focusing on Glastonbury as it's own culture and festival experience would be interesting for a future project. I'm assuming some of the criticism I've received is partly due to the fact I posted this in  a Glastonbury chat where people of all ages have a deeper meaningful connection to this type of festival.