Q magazine

prestonmike

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

Is MOJO any good then? 

I think the quality of writing in Mojo is pretty good but they focus too much acts who are no longer active for my taste.

As an aside, I can read booth Mojo and Q for free from my local library. They provide free downloads and its all legal and legit. Although now I feel guilty that I have contributed to their demise...

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

you're only legally allowed to read MOJO if you're 56 and wear a brown jacket.

50 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I think it’s a good mixture of articles on contemporary and older acts, and across various genres. 

Now I’m torn 

42 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Mojo is a decent read but I prefer Uncut 

Uncut’s good, as is Record Collector and I buy them both regularly depending on the content. I wish Mojo would drop the cover mounted CDs though, just point us towards a playlist or something. Subscribers did get a nice exclusive  Oh Sees ‘picture disc’ flexi a year or two back that was more welcome.

1 hour ago, maelzoid said:

To be fair, buying an issue and checking it out for yourself is hardly a life and death decision. Live a little, I say...

You say that, but what if I read one issue and end up listening to Dad rock and dressing like Jeremy Clarkson? 

18 minutes ago, nikkic said:

You say that, but what if I read one issue and end up listening to Dad rock and dressing like Jeremy Clarkson? 

If that were to happen, I think the inner-clarkson was always there, laying dormant. It needs to be woken and dealt with.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

You say that, but what if I read one issue and end up....... dressing like Jeremy Clarkson? 

The way I see it is you'd have two choices. The first would be to ring these people.

https://www.samaritans.org/

The second is to tell people that your fashion statement 'post ironic'. Don't worry about not knowing what that means, as nobody does! They'll just nod their heads in submission thinking that you actually know what it means. 

PS -  There's two sides to Jeremoney Clarkson - each of them being a flap.

• 2 months later...
On 7/27/2020 at 9:26 PM, the wonderwhy said:

The final issue dropped on my doormat today and they've given every single album reviewed (bar one, poor Nelson Kempf) four stars ffs. 

Fuckin clasic.

I think towards the end they were starting to only write about stuff they had something positive to say.. so if there's a shit album it just doesn't get a review.

I was never mad on Q. Only bought it occasionally.

I do love print magazines. Still buy Mojo and Uncut most months, though I do get a bit frustrated by all that dwelling on the past.

Songlines is a brilliant magazine that I buy religiously. Have discovered lots of stuff through them.

On 7/22/2020 at 11:31 AM, maelzoid said:

I think the quality of writing in Mojo is pretty good but they focus too much acts who are no longer active for my taste.

As an aside, I can read booth Mojo and Q for free from my local library. They provide free downloads and its all legal and legit. Although now I feel guilty that I have contributed to their demise...

I'm pretty sure the magazine's would have received something out of that deal, even if it was just to count you in their reader numbers when they were selling advertising.

Been a subscriber to Mojo for years. Fuck knows why. Haven’t been arsed to cancel it. They just chug out the same stories month after month. This month it’s the annual Dylan article. No insight, no critique just a few glossy photos and text nicked from a thousand other articles.

Lazy.  Lazy.    Lazy.

Album reviews are Ok mind. But nothing better than you can read for free elsewhere

On 10/17/2020 at 10:42 PM, lighthouse said:

I always skip the Beatles, Stones, Dylan and Pink Floyd issues. Bored to death of reading about them.

I go as far as not buying issues with the Beatles or Pink Floyd on the cover.

A while back there was a good month when the cover stars (Mojo’s and Uncut’s) were Jack White and Dave Grohl. Two musicians who are still alive and not as old as my parents.