Q magazine

prestonmike

17 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Will be archived alongside my Select, Melody Maker, Smash Hits and No7 magazines...

Did you really keep any of those? I'm pretty sure I've still got a few posters from Smash Hits somewhere. Archived. I like that. I'm not hoarding. I'm archiving.

17 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I can't help feeling they totally missed a trick with their website which was always quite perfunctory. They should have had 35 years of album reviews in a searchable database, as well as 'reprints' of old articles and interviews. It would have kept the traffic up and I'm sure they could have continued as an online concern.

I feel sure that that used to be a thing. Never visited the website admittedly, but I'm certain they made a point of it at sometime. Maybe they got there too early/ahead of the curve? Or maybe you had to be a subscriber to use it (or maybe I'm completely misremembering this).

16 hours ago, gigpusher said:

Sadly nobody wants print any more. We really need to find a way to fund quality journalism but the problem most people have these days is that everything is so fragmented and we are buying so many subscriptions for so many different services. I'm not sure what the solution is but I do feel for anyone who works in the field of journalism. 

Still baffles me just how many different magazines there are out there on pretty much every subject you can think of. I mean, how is this still a thing? If anything there's way more choice than pre mass internet. And, the sort of things you think would have migrated to the net, like tech and music, probably have amongst the largest sections in my local (way too big for the town it's in) WH Smiths. As others have touched upon, it's nice to have something to flick through, and there is the (ahem) archiving aspect to it I suppose.

Anecdote time:

One year at the festival, on the Thursday, about midday/early afternoon, at the top of The Park, I exchanged fluids with ex Q (twice) and Word magazines editor Andrew Harrison and his mate, who was also a previous holder of said position(s) apparently (I wasn't paying enough attention when introduced obviously, as I don't recall his name unfortunately).

I'd spotted him at the cider bus the night before, it was the Word magazine bag he was carrying that gave him away. That plus the fact that he used to have his fizzog printed next to his editorial every month.

Just happened to have found myself sat/stood next to him, so introduced myself along the lines of, "This is going to sound really weird  if I'm wrong, but aren't you...", and yes it was.

It was the year Word folded I think, as we had a good old rant about what a great magazine it was ("It's what Q used to be like, when it was good", (started by the same people that started Q so natch)). I used to love Word. Couldn't wait for it to come out every month. Obviously they were more gutted about it's folding than I was.

I got some of their vodka & cranberry juice. They got my festival trick of a choice between two identical bottles, one containing crappy but acceptable brandy, the other a good calvados. They picked the crappy one.

A memorable encounter.

Tbh, I just wanted to see if I could tap him up for any secret sets, given his industry insider status, but he didn't seem to know anything that wasn't already out there.

3 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Did you really keep any of those? I'm pretty sure I've still got a few posters from Smash Hits somewhere. Archived. I like that. I'm not hoarding. I'm archiving.

Got a number of old Smash Hits and No7 pull out posters, mainly of Madness in their heyday, and the odd sad one of Nik Kershaw and Paul Young (ahem).

Got all the Select and Q Glasto aerial pull out posters and festival review mags, plus the few sub-standard ones NME did just to keep up, and a number of the post-fest Western Daily Press review ones that used to get handed to you on the way out. All in 'the Archive'....

4 hours ago, incident said:

That's the old (outdoor) cinema field.

The Pyramid is the projection hut.

I remember the old, old cinema at the bottom of Big Ground in the '90s - watched Star Trek on there utterly off my face as I mainly was in those days as my youth would allow...

4 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Anecdote time:

One year at the festival, on the Thursday, about midday/early afternoon, at the top of The Park, I exchanged fluids with ex Q (twice) and Word magazines editor Andrew Harrison 

Andrew Harrison does a decent culture podcast these days called Big Mouth, and a politics one called The Bunker.

I remember him as editor of Select and then MixMag. I was never a reader of Q.

• Upvote 1

I’ve got most Q issues from number 1 up to a few years ago, I quit my subscription with some regret around 2 years ago. I used to love it but ended up taking about 10 minutes to read it so didn’t seem worthwhile anymore. I may have all the Q Glastonbury mags too. 

I still really like Mojo (and have every issue) and hope it doesn’t go the same way. I get Songlines too but that’s getting a bit thin on decent content too and may give that up as well.

Sadly in my estimation Q has been poor for a long time.

3 hours ago, maelzoid said:

erm… what now?

I do not think it means what you think it means.

3 hours ago, Quark said:

I was going to pick up on that, but decided it wasn't a rabbit hole I wanted to go down

3 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I also wasn't certain what had gone on!! Hey as long as everyone left happy and there was consent :D 

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who noticed that 😆

I know what it means. The punchline is meant to be that it was alcohol. Not what you automatically thought when you heard that phrase. What were you thinking? Shame on you. Smut for brains, type of thing.

Guess I could have told it better. Or was that a case of "whoosh"?

Back in the 70s it was the Melody Maker, NME and Sounds. Bought every week. It was the best way you got info about tours, festivals etc.apart from the odd radio show and whistle test. Even bought and sold LPs using their free adds. Virgin records used to have a mail order ad in the melody maker every week selling LPs at 30p less that record shops. Something to do with tax if I remember😉.

Sad to hear Q is no more. 

14 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I know what it means. The punchline is meant to be that it was alcohol. Not what you automatically thought when you heard that phrase. What were you thinking? Shame on you. Smut for brains, type of thing.

Guess I could have told it better. Or was that a case of "whoosh"?

Yes, by the end of the anecdote, I realised what was actually happening. But by then it was too late - I had already visualised it.