Q magazine

prestonmike

Q magazine are to fold after their latest issue, always used to look forward to the Q review coming out after Glastonbury (although i think it stopped a few years ago), shame to see it go, used to read it a lot back in my uni days and discovered a few bands from reading it

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53477377

I've been buying Q since the first issue. Only missed one or two in all that time and then the covid came along and I missed another two or three until our WH Smiths opened up again. Got the penultimate one and will buy the last.

The first few issues got cut up to help build a collage but the rest I have hoarded away.

It did go downhill but this is still a massive loss imo. What can replace it? For someone my age? It was like Smash Hits minus the lyrics for my generation (but then Smash Hits was the Smash Hits of my generation (if that makes sense)).

47 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m surprised it survived this long to be honest. I swear every time I looked at the front cover Paul Weller was on it!

It's definitely more eclectic than that. I read a bit of one in the barbers (while waiting for my wellend) at the start of this year and it was going mad over The 1975.

50 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m surprised it survived this long to be honest. I swear every time I looked at the front cover Paul Weller was on it!

That said, I did enjoy buying the GF edition on a Monday morning as I was walking out of the gate.

Ha yeah I'd forgotten they'd had an association with the festival for a while. Didn't they blow it by breaking the embargo on the line-up release one year? Iirc they were a day early or something.

I used to buy the Glastonbury Festival edition, mostly just to see if there were any photos of me and my mates in it. How's that for vanity? This, of course, was before public internet access. I can honestly say that I've never read a single article in it. All I used to do was look at the Glastonbury Festival photos. How's that for retarded? 

Apparently I'm having a meal involving red beans soon. At least that's my conclusion as to why I've just had this lashed to me;

Monday Red Beans Bib – Home Malone

16 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think this article was the first time I really read about the G

s-l400.jpg

Van Morrison meeting Spike Milligan sounds like a fascinating feature.

Sad day for print music journalism and all of those at Q. Going to be so many talented people out there looking for work.

I read it regularly between 90-95, 6th form to student days. Kind of lost touch after that, probably as I had less free time on my hands once started work, but occasionally picked up a copy for holidays etc...

It certainly did go down hill as others have mentioned with the prevalence of listicles - I'm sure I bought a copy about ten years ago which felt like it had no actual journalism in it, just the 1001 greatest songs of all time.....

I can't help feeling they totally missed a trick with their website which was always quite perfunctory. They should have had 35 years of album reviews in a searchable database, as well as 'reprints' of old articles and interviews. It would have kept the traffic up and I'm sure they could have continued as an online concern.

On a similar note, we've got to anticipate the same fate for HMV surely... 

Sadly nobody wants print any more. We really need to find a way to fund quality journalism but the problem most people have these days is that everything is so fragmented and we are buying so many subscriptions for so many different services. I'm not sure what the solution is but I do feel for anyone who works in the field of journalism. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I think this article was the first time I really read about the G

s-l400.jpg

I’ve still got a copy of this somewhere. IIRC the article of the ‘89 GF was rather a let down , not too much attention to the acts that played, but pre-televised broadcasts that’s all you had to refer to.

A real shame. I like to think I've been too cool for it for many years now, but it was a great read in my teenage years. The problem is everyone can get their music news, views and reviews for free online these days.  Although I agree with @maelzoid and @danbailey80 there was and is surely a very easy website to construct out of all their content, and to continue wth.

Like @henry bear I subscribe to Mojo, great for both reviews and long pieces on both current and classic artists. Although having a free CD on the front of each issue is increasingly anachronistic...

Very sad news. 

Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t want to have to look at a screen all the time. 

The hour or so I spent reading Q each month was a moment away from the modern world.

Fuck I sound old. 

Any decent print alternatives? Something with reviews and decent interviews.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, nikkic said:

Very sad news. 

Maybe I’m in the minority but I don’t want to have to look at a screen all the time. 

The hour or so I spent reading Q each month was a moment away from the modern world.

Fuck I sound old. 

Yeah, that was my reason for getting it as well.  Spend all day on a screen, was nice to have something to read on lunch break or on the train that wasn't a screen We can sound old together.

57 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Very sad news. 

Fuck I sound old. 

I'm in the same boat as you on this.

Even in this time when everything can be found online, I really enjoyed getting time away from a screen to go through the reviews section. It is still now one of my main ways of discovering new music.

I'm all ears for any recommendations to a print title that has a similarly diverse and extensive reviews section that I can subscribe to instead of Q.

Just now, lac999 said:

I'm in the same boat as you on this.

Even in this time when everything can be found online, I really enjoyed getting time away from a screen to go through the reviews section. It is still now one of my main ways of discovering new music.

I'm all ears for any recommendations to a print title that has a similarly diverse and extensive reviews section that I can subscribe to instead of Q.

Gonna miss that new releases section :(

It's pretty sad. My old man has every issue of Q (you imagine how delighted my mum is about that collection taking up space in her house), checking wiki the first issue came out when I was 5 so it's pretty much been around and in my life for as long as I can remember. Along with the NME I read it regularly due the mid-teenage to mid-20s, pre-readily available internet years.

Over the last years my dad's preference has shifted to Mojo and Uncut but he still ordered Q every month to keep the collection going even though, editorially, it had shifted from his demographic somewhat. Like you above I always bought it for long train journeys or flights. Yup, really sad.