Drone flight

Sdsm123

34 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

Hi, just found my drone video over worthy farm which I filmed last September! Thought I might share it

Enjoy

Hello Sdsm123

That's very thoughtful of you, and a lovely little bit of footage. You obviously know how to fly a drone. If that were me, I'd have crashed it within the first 30 seconds. Lovely quality too. Cheers.

37 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

Hi, just found my drone video over worthy farm which I filmed last September! Thought I might share it

Enjoy

Nice - I found that very relaxing. Always amazes me how quickly the other stage field recovers. Seems weird seeing it so green.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Hello Sdsm123

That's very thoughtful of you, and a lovely little bit of footage. You obviously know how to fly a drone. If that were me, I'd have crashed it within the first 30 seconds. Lovely quality too. Cheers.

It’s taken a bit of practise! I managed to crash it doing a roof survey! Lucky you can get drone insurance 😀 thanks for your lovely comments

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sdsm123 said:

Enjoy

Nice. Did you do it all in one go? I have a vision of you running after it to keep in range.

Any objections to me sharing on Twitter, with credit obvs? Let me know if you have a Twitter handle and I'll tag you in.

1 hour ago, Sdsm123 said:

It’s taken a bit of practise! I managed to crash it doing a roof survey! Lucky you can get drone insurance 😀 thanks for your lovely comments

I forgot to up vote your post, but have made amends now.

I suspect it is, but could you confirm that your drone is an expensive / top of the range sort of affair? Despite having been a Building Maintenance Surveyor for 28 years, I'd never thought about drone use for roof surveys. Mind you, I got out of the game in 2014 and suspect that their cost and quality of footage has come on leaps and bounds since then in favour of the purchaser. 

11 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Nice. Did you do it all in one go? I have a vision of you running after it to keep in range.

Any objections to me sharing on Twitter, with credit obvs? Let me know if you have a Twitter handle and I'll tag you in.

Did it in a few different takes! Of course you can share my twitter handle is stuwattjr 

the drone can go up 5km away! It’s a phantom 4 pro, however it’s best to keep it in your line of sight! Wouldn’t want it crashing and hurting a cow or damaging property 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I forgot to up vote your post, but have made amends now.

I suspect it is, but could you confirm that your drone is an expensive / top of the range sort of affair? Despite having been a Building Maintenance Surveyor for 28 years, I'd never thought about drone use for roof surveys. Mind you, I got out of the game in 2014 and suspect that their cost and quality of footage has come on leaps and bounds since then in favour of the purchaser. 

It’s a phantom 4 pro which costs around £1600! You can get the magic mini which is around £400 and is a decent starter drone!

avoid the Chinese clone drones, they are terrible and very easy to loose. With the offfical drones should it run out of signal it will return to your take off point automatically. 

had a client who was quoted £6000 for scaffold to check roof for a leak (5 story) we found the leak source and did it for £50 so massive cost savings

4 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

Did it in a few different takes! Of course you can share my twitter handle is stuwattjr 

the drone can go up 5km away! It’s a phantom 4 pro, however it’s best to keep it in your line of sight! Wouldn’t want it crashing and hurting a cow or damaging property 

Cheers.

Did you see the video being shared the other week, filmed from his drone, it showed a bloke who dropped his controller off a cliff as the drone flew away? 

Not sure how they got the footage if the drone went off in a straight line for 5km :D

4 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Cheers.

Did you see the video being shared the other week, filmed from his drone, it showed a bloke who dropped his controller off a cliff as the drone flew away? 

Not sure how they got the footage if the drone went off in a straight line for 5km :D

Most likely the drone returned to the take off point so they could get it back! The drone won’t auto fly in a direction unless you tell it to (auto pilot modes) once in manual mode and you take your hands off the controls the drone will hover in place and when the battery gets low it will auto land to the take off point 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sdsm123 said:

Most likely the drone returned to the take off point so they could get it back! The drone won’t auto fly in a direction unless you tell it to (auto pilot modes) once in manual mode and you take your hands off the controls the drone will hover in place and when the battery gets low it will auto land to the take off point 

Well I never knew that. Clever stuff, if slightly disappointing from a comedy value point of view.

10 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Well I never knew that. Clever stuff, if slightly disappointing from a comedy value point of view.

There amazing pieces of kit! I’ve filmed a few weddings with them and they really give a brand new perspective on an event!

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Loved that @Sdsm123 

Wish you could do the same during the festival and show each part one after the other, that would be pretty cool.

From the Wednesday to the Monday the festival has a restricted flight zone enforced by the CAA so it’s illegal to fly then! However I am planning on doing a video in the weeks leading up to the festival and the weeks after and comparing it to this video! Will post on here 😀😀

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

It’s a phantom 4 pro which costs around £1600! You can get the magic mini which is around £400 and is a decent starter drone!

avoid the Chinese clone drones, they are terrible and very easy to loose. With the offfical drones should it run out of signal it will return to your take off point automatically. 

had a client who was quoted £6000 for scaffold to check roof for a leak (5 story) we found the leak source and did it for £50 so massive cost savings

You wouldn't actually know this, but I've kind of disliked drones - up until now that is. I'm not pulling your leg, but viewing your footage above has really altered my opinion of them (*1). It is an ace bit of footage. 

Oh, and that cost saving on the building repair job is just fab. I was covering a large 'Foyer' project (*2) and there was a leak from a fitting on an enormous water tank. All that was needed was a fitting to be tightened up within the tank. It wasn't actually my area of responsibility but I'd heard that a contractor was going to charge a fortune to drain the whole tank down, and in doing so, knock off the hot water supply to every flat and communal area in the building for several hours (draining the tank alone would have taken ages). So, I proposed to the powers that be that I simply go in to the full tank in my diving gear with my very bright dive torch and an appropriately sized torque wrench, and do the job 'live' so to speak. I was happy to do it but the department responsible went all health and safety and decided to go down the expensive and intrusive (to residents and staff) route. It was only because they'd never heard of it done before. Barmy.

*1 - I had a slight wobble in their favour when I read this;

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/13/628905864/in-ireland-drought-and-a-drone-revealed-the-outline-of-an-ancient-henge?t=1595253828044

*2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyer_(housing_model)

3 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You wouldn't actually know this, but I've kind of disliked drones - up until now that is. I'm not pulling your leg, but viewing your footage above has really altered my opinion of them (*1). It is an ace bit of footage. 

Oh, and that cost saving on the building repair job is just fab. I was covering a large 'Foyer' project (*2) and there was a leak from a fitting on an enormous water tank. All that was needed was a fitting to be tightened up within the tank. It wasn't actually my area of responsibility but I'd heard that a contractor was going to charge a fortune to drain the whole tank down, and in doing so, knock off the hot water supply to every flat and communal area in the building for several hours (draining the tank alone would have taken ages). So, I proposed to the powers that be that I simply go in to the full tank in my diving gear with my very bright dive torch and an appropriately sized torque wrench, and do the job 'live' so to speak. I was happy to do it but the department responsible went all health and safety and decided to go down the expensive and intrusive (to residents and staff) route. It was only because they'd never heard of it done before. Barmy.

*1 - I had a slight wobble in their favour when I read this;

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/13/628905864/in-ireland-drought-and-a-drone-revealed-the-outline-of-an-ancient-henge?t=1595253828044

*2 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyer_(housing_model)

Cheers! It’s amazing what you can do with modern technology and an innovative mind, glad you enjoyed it! Drones are amazing if used properly, I’m licensed  to Fly commercially and have the relevant insurances. Unfortunately there is a few people who give the whole drone community a bad name! 

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

I love how the cows are congregating around the stone circle! There must be something extra special in the grass for them...

It never ceases to amaze me how such a rural setting turns into a gigantic festival.

Excellent footage, thank you 🙏 

It’s incredible! When your flying over just thinking about the millions of people in the fields having the best time of their lives! Glad you enjoyed it mate! Hoping to do another one in the weeks leading up to it next year 🤩

4 minutes ago, Sdsm123 said:

It’s incredible! When your flying over just thinking about the millions of people in the fields having the best time of their lives! Glad you enjoyed it mate! Hoping to do another one in the weeks leading up to it next year 🤩

I presume you need to seek permission from the land owners ? 

25 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I presume you need to seek permission from the land owners ? 

Technicaly no you don’t! If you fly above 50m you are flying within CAA aerospace and legally you only own the 50m above your land or directly above a building! Flying above that is fine as long as it’s not a ‘built up area’. I wouldn’t fly over the farm buildings out of respect for the landowners though. Flying over fields is nothing really wrong doing! During the festival there is a regulated no fly zone in place so you would require permission to fly from air traffic control who wouldn’t grant it as flying over a gathering of more than 1000 people is illegal. This is only in place from Wednesday till Monday so if you flew a fortnight before over the site at 50m or above it would be deemed a legal flight 

7 hours ago, Sdsm123 said:

During the festival there is a regulated no fly zone in place so you would require permission to fly from air traffic control who wouldn’t grant it as flying over a gathering of more than 1000 people is illegal. This is only in place from Wednesday till Monday so if you flew a fortnight before over the site at 50m or above it would be deemed a legal flight 

super shots by the way

with regards your comments for as many years that I can remember there is always one or two fighters who happen to rocket past.

there is a few postings about that from previous years.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/211753-no-fly-zone-over-glastonbury-site/

4 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

super shots by the way

with regards your comments for as many years that I can remember there is always one or two fighters who happen to rocket past.

there is a few postings about that from previous years.

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/211753-no-fly-zone-over-glastonbury-site/

Military aircraft is a different set of rules! They can do pretty much whatever they want