Jump to content

Princess Diana - Where were you?


Monkey Allen
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ok..... not Glasto related. 
just been watching “Diana: 7 days that shook”

 

Where were you when you found out she‘d died?
 

i was in my bedroom, just waking up. My mum rang around 8am. 
don’t think I’ve ever, or will ever have a more shocking phone call “non-family” related. 
 


 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had been woken by my radio alarm. It was very solemn sounding for some reason. I heard the phrase, "The princes". My Mum came in with a cup of tea. I was all, "Shush, I think Princess Diana's gone and stepped on a landmine or something". Well, I was close.

Was a really early shift that day. Got to see the Sunday papers early edition headlines that morning. Pretty much all going with photos of Di & Dodi flirting. Got to see the later editions after my shift. Wish I'd bought a set of both.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd recently turned 4 and Im pretty sure I was having a shared party with my little sister because she was getting christened. So we'd all gone up to Milton Keynes to stay at my grandparents and a bunch of our relatives from across the country had come too. I don't really remember much except for having a fucking awesome Thomas the Tank Engine cake.

 

As for Diana, I didn't know who she was so I didn't really care tbh

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’d gone out for a beer that night, and vaguely remember hearing a news bulletin about it saying Dodi had died, before I went to bed. I got up the Sunday morning hungover and when I put the radio on they played chilled music for about 30 minutes before mentioning Diana had died.

I’m largely ambivalent about the Royal Family, and felt sorry for her lads etc, but the overpowering public grief that the country went through I found uncomfortable. Mrs B was working in Nigeria at the time and I envied her the fact that she was cut off from the madness going on here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I’d gone out for a beer that night, and vaguely remember hearing a news bulletin about it saying Dodi had died, before I went to bed. I got up the Sunday morning hungover and when I put the radio on they played chilled music for about 30 minutes before mentioning Diana had died.

I’m largely ambivalent about the Royal Family, and felt sorry for her lads etc, but the overpowering public grief that the country went through I found uncomfortable. Mrs B was working in Nigeria at the time and I envied her the fact that she was cut off from the madness going on here.

Yeah I agree about the public outpouring. It was fucking weird in retrospect. I was a young teenager, maybe like 12 or 13, and remember my my mum being really upset.

I remember the funeral more clearly. Elton's eyebrow. And the boys behind the coffin.

Also this is one of the weirdest threads I've ever seen on Efests. And that's saying something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrZigster said:

to see the Sunday papers early edition headlines that morning. Pretty much all going with photos of Di & Dodi flirting. Got to see the later editions after my shift. Wish I'd bought a set of both.

Got a copies of a few newspapers covering her death and funeral. Having said that I’ve got loads of old papers right back to WW2 , things like Hitler dead, war is over, the coronation, Prince Charles investiture, Cuban missile crisis, 9 11. Etc. Any momentous occasion. My dad used to keep them and I’ve just kept adding to them. Keep them up in the loft. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was hungover as stink. Properly broken. Used to work in an open air pool & leisure park and we'd had our end of season party the night before. I had to be carried home. 

Bizarrely I did end up caught up in the general sadness hysteria, although with hindsight I have absolutely no idea why. I was raised in a very pro-royal house & wider family, and at that stage I hadn't left for uni so was still in a bit of a bubble. Suspect I'd give zero shits these days, beyond it being a shame that someone was dead and had left behind two sons.

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Also this is one of the weirdest threads I've ever seen on Efests. And that's saying something.

You sure about that dude? It's up against some stiff competition.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MrZigster said:

I did keep the Private Eye issue from that week.

Have you read the 50 years of PI book Zig?  There's a fairly sizeable entry on that topic, all the newsagents refusing to stock PI and so on. Mental.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah I agree about the public outpouring. It was fucking weird in retrospect. I was a young teenager, maybe like 12 or 13, and remember my my mum being really upset.

 

We’re about the same age and I remember feeling baffled at the public hysteria that followed. I knew she was a big deal but I had no idea what was going on in terms of public reaction. It seemed to go on forever.

I can’t envisage another public figure these days whose sudden death would provoke such a public outpouring of grief... except for Michael of course.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...