Glastonbury in August (or some other non-midsummer date)

stuartbert two hats

50 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Genuinely amazed by the amount of festivals some of you can afford to do in a year! Thought I was doing alright for money but seven would bankrupt me. Suppose I shouldn't be that surprised on a festival forum but still.

I prefer festivals to a two week holiday in Spain/Portugal etc. Works out roughly the same for me to do three festivals or one holiday abroad.

11 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I prefer festivals to a two week holiday in Spain/Portugal etc. Works out roughly the same for me to do three festivals or one holiday abroad.

Three maybe but people affording six or seven is beyond me! I mean good on them I guess.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

26 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Three maybe but people affording six or seven is beyond me! I mean good on them I guess.

It depends on circumstances too, before my work commitments I would easily go 4 or 5, then with work if dropped to 2 or 3, and then came the great equaliser... children... I'm down to 1 (at an extreme push 2). I have limited time away from my kids so I have to choose how to use it wisely!! I'd tried to get my eldest (she's only 5) into camping to prepare her but she just won't take to it.

I don't think it would be the bank holiday weekend as the locals wouldn't take kindly to their bank holiday being ruined. I can see it being moved though, and honestly for a family festival, not having it during term time makes a lot more sense.

11 hours ago, incident said:

Problem is (large chunks of) the SE Corner crew doubling at Boomtown was just an example, and it was one of many. It wouldn't need to be a direct clash to cause problems - Boomtown has approximately a month long build, starting mid-July - a lot of the crew pretty much finish the break at Glastonbury and go straight there. There's no possible scenario under which both would be viable for any crew involved in the build (ie the most important crew) if Glastonbury was moved back by more than about a week or two.

The build (and to a lesser extent break) time thing affects the whole festival, not just the SE Corner. It even affects food (and all other) stalls - unlike every other festival on the circuit, Glastonbury requires traders to arrive on site on the Saturday & Sunday before the festival - the festival is lucrative enough that asking them to give up a relatively quiet weekend in mid June is viable - would they be as willing to give up a prime weekend in the summer holidays?

Some other direct conflicts, off the top of my head so there'll be plenty I missed or just don't know about:
- Key people in the Avalon Stage crew also run Cambridge Folk Festival at the start of August
- Large chunks of the T&C crew & performers are tied up throughout most of August at Edinburgh
- Many of those that aren't in Edinburgh perform in Covent Garden and the like, with August being by far their peak season for income
- Quite a few of the smaller venues (Bimble Inn, Small World Stage, Lizard Stage, amongst others) tour around other events and/or run their own festivals.

It's not understating it to say, if Glastonbury did attempt to move the festival back to August, then the festival overall would be diminished more than you can possibly imagine. More than I can imagine either, as I'm certain there'll be dozens, if not hundreds, of conflicts I've got no idea about.

But GFL know this and I can confidently say they never would do it. There's more chance of Nick Cave, Emeli Sande, and Foals headlining the Pyramid next year.

It'd certainly be different, but I don't think that would be a bad thing. T&C especially would benefit hugely from having half their regular performers unavailable, so having to actually find new acts, and not just put on the same shows every year. Others would be keen and capable of taking on the SE corner. It definitely wouldn't be the festival we know, but it could still be good.

The logistical side is trickier though, and probably where it's most problematic for Glastonbury as an organisation. I don't think they have the knowledge infrastructure in place to bring new logistics people up to speed on how everything works, all the unwritten rules that have been built up in the minds of people that have been doing it for decades.

3 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Genuinely amazed by the amount of festivals some of you can afford to do in a year! Thought I was doing alright for money but seven would bankrupt me. Suppose I shouldn't be that surprised on a festival forum but still.

Work (volunteer) at them, and the cost comes down dramatically.

Glastonbury is the one festival I'll always buy a ticket for, and this also increases ancillary spending - as a result I reckon that all told I spend about twice as much on Glastonbury than I will on the other 4-6 festivals I'll typically do combined.

36 minutes ago, incident said:

Work (volunteer) at them, and the cost comes down dramatically.

Glastonbury is the one festival I'll always buy a ticket for, and this also increases ancillary spending - as a result I reckon that all told I spend about twice as much on Glastonbury than I will on the other 4-6 festivals I'll typically do combined.

Yeah fair enough. I find it exhausting enough to do a festival as a punter these days so wouldn't be up for working. Also I'm freelance so could never take that much time off unpaid over summer.

58 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Yeah fair enough. I find it exhausting enough to do a festival as a punter these days so wouldn't be up for working. Also I'm freelance so could never take that much time off unpaid over summer.

I worked at Glastonbury last year, despite being away from home for 7 nights I found myself less wrecked when I came home as I did about half the amount of booze and drugs compared to when I go as a punter. 

Just now, gooner1990 said:

I worked at Glastonbury last year, despite being away from home for 7 nights I found myself less wrecked when I came home as I did about half the amount of booze and drugs compared to when I go as a punter. 

I'm sure it's awesome and I would have done it my 20s, but I'm pushing 40 now and when I take time off work I need a break! Different strokes for different folks innit. Physically I think I can only cope with two or three festivals in a summer these days! 

8 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I'm sure it's awesome and I would have done it my 20s, but I'm pushing 40 now and when I take time off work I need a break! Different strokes for different folks innit. Physically I think I can only cope with two or three festivals in a summer these days! 

In a haze of frustration of 2020 being a shit show I've managed to sign up for three big festivals next summer (Glastonbury, Primavera and Way Out West). As someone who's also pushing 40 I'm already dreading it, particularly the June double header of Prima and Glasto. Going to be a broken man. Twice. 

14 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

In a haze of frustration of 2020 being a shit show I've managed to sign up for three big festivals next summer (Glastonbury, Primavera and Way Out West). As someone who's also pushing 40 I'm already dreading it, particularly the June double header of Prima and Glasto. Going to be a broken man. Twice. 

Ha! Yep two in a month would probably kill me. I'm still quite jealous though...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ha! Yep two in a month would probably kill me. I'm still quite jealous though...

By the time it rolls around it'll have been two full years since I was at a festival proper (and three years since Glastonbury) so I'm hoping that alone will give me a second and third (etc) wind

Unfortunately I would rather it stayed in June, August is rather hectic for me in terms of festivals Boomtown, Reading, Downs and I like the idea of the season starting at Glastonbury for me! I’m crew at Boomtown and I know a lot of people who come to Boomtown straight after Glastonbury so it would have knock on effects for both festivals 

4 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I’m 38 (soon to be 39) so if I can do it so can you.😆

I need a minimum two days off work after I get back from them these days!

Already pushed 40 (just!) but mine next year will probably be Glastonbury and Beautiful Days, plus I think I'll chuck in Great Escape in Brighton as well although that's a multi-venue event rather than a camping festival.

My festival travels are balanced with spending time with Mrs Q, plus whatever holiday we end up doing, so rinsing the festival circuit isn't really an option

7 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I’m 38 (soon to be 39) so if I can do it so can you.😆

I need a minimum two days off work after I get back from them these days!

Knew I'd get this response! :) As I say different strokes for different folks. It's not for me I'm afraid! I know loads of people older than me can hack it but despite being pretty active in my daily life I just find it way too exhausting. It's the lack of quality sleep that does for me. And yes I know all the tips and tricks, but I never sleep well camping.

Basically I love a festival but I don't love them quite enough to make it a working holiday these days. Also I spend my down time with my partner and no way in hell he would! Can only take so much time off a year and would rather do something with him. For that reason, as sad as I am about not having tickets for 2021 (yet), I never say I'd do anything to get in as I know now that I'd rather go to another festival as a punter and have a bit of a holiday. Personal choice innit and frees up spaces for you lovely lot :)

Years back I would have done anything but there are loads of other wonderful festivals out there that are happy to take my cash. Glastonbury will always be my favourite but I know there are alternatives (at the moment anyway...)

I know it’s a bit of a wormhole discussion but I’ve known people who’ve missed headliners because they wanted to watch the football.

As someone who is a casual sports fan this is alien to me but I’m interested to hear the opposing view. Why a footie match is worth missing things you’ve paid a lot of money to go and see.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I know it’s a bit of a wormhole discussion but I’ve known people who’ve missed headliners because they wanted to watch the football.

As someone who is a casual sports fan this is alien to me but I’m interested to hear the opposing view. Why a footie match is worth missing things you’ve paid a lot of money to go and see.

I’m a huge football fan, but unless either a. There is an absolutely earth shatteringly important match on, and b. It doesn’t fall during core Fri-Sun festival hours, I don’t really care.

I go to Glastonbury to forget about the outside world, that includes football.

(That said, watching the England v Portugal Euro 04 match in the Pyramid field on the Thursday night was incredible)

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Depends on the time of year. For instance the last few Leeds games have been unmissable due to deciding the end of the season result. The whole city is partying still because we are champions. Glastonbury happens most years, we haven’t been promoted to the top league for 30 years. In the case of the world cup England haven’t performed well since Italia 90 and not won it since 66. It’s a rare once in a generation event that is great to be a part of. 

In August, the season would just be starting. I don’t see anyone worrying about missing a game for a festival. At the end of the season or a major tournament it’s a complete different buzz. 

25 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I think it would have to be England in the World Cup/Euros final or Norwich in the Champions League final for me to even consider watching whilst at Glastonbury. 

Neither of which are likely to happen for a multitude of reasons.... 

This is it for me too. It would have to be something like a Europa/Champions League final for me to choose the football. There's no domestic game big enough that I would bother infringing on my Glastonbury time for. 

As for international football, Scotland have been boycotting major tournaments for decades now, meaning that a WC/European Champion final isn't likely to be an issue this side of the apocalypse. 

Edited by SwedgeAntilles