Glastonbury in August (or some other non-midsummer date)

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’m a huge football fan, but unless either a. There is an absolutely earth shatteringly important match on, and b. It doesn’t fall during core Fri-Sun festival hours, I don’t really care.

I go to Glastonbury to forget about the outside world, that includes football.

(That said, watching the England v Portugal Euro 04 match in the Pyramid field on the Thursday night was incredible)

When I used to go to Reading Festival if an Arsenal game was on TV I used to walk over to the Crown in Caversham to watch it UNLESS it clashed with someone I really wanted to watch.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Feels like a waste of festival time to me, but each to their own...

Tbh I think I just liked sitting in the pub, having some decent lunch and using a nice toilet. :) 

Like I say, If it clashed with something I wanted to watch at the festival I would stay at the festival, if nothing was on that I was bothered about (esp if our game was an early kick off) then I would go to the pub.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

IIRC there could have been a potential with England playing a knockout game at 10-11 at night during the 2014 World Cup.

Luckily we mitigated that by not being very good.

I remember celebrating Wales going 1-0 up in the knockout game against Northern Ireland during a break between sets at the Pyramid, much to the confusion of those around us :P

56 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

IIRC there could have been a potential with England playing a knockout game at 10-11 at night during the 2014 World Cup.

Luckily we mitigated that by not being very good.

I think they said they wouldn't show it if we got through as it would have been on at the same time as the headliners....

3 hours ago, eFestivals said:

really? What football has been on that late in the evening?

It only really applies to World Cups held in North or South America - WC2026 (in Canada, Mexico, and USA) will certainly have matches that late (and into the early hours) our time.

Though as it relates to Glastonbury specifically, I'd put money on that being the next fallow year.

38 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

fair enough, tho I reckon you'll struggle to name another one too. :P 

Having said that, I once watched the Chumpions League final at a fest at the end of May - tho it was before the headline act.

I was at a festival last year when the Spurs v Liverpool CL Final was on and left before the headliner started to watch the match.

The fact that the headliner was Mumford and Sons helped with the decision.

On 7/20/2020 at 11:46 AM, gooner1990 said:

When I used to go to Reading Festival if an Arsenal game was on TV I used to walk over to the Crown in Caversham to watch it UNLESS it clashed with someone I really wanted to watch.

I see you were there in 2011.. did you happen to watch the game that day? 😁

22 hours ago, Mouseboy11 said:

I remember celebrating Wales going 1-0 up in the knockout game against Northern Ireland during a break between sets at the Pyramid, much to the confusion of those around us :P

I did the same at the Other, was fully expecting the dream to end there!