Glastonbury in August (or some other non-midsummer date)

stuartbert two hats

And on the logistical issues - it’s not really for us to worry about. The question was how would YOU feel about it. Not “list reasons why it’s unlikely”. We already know they looked at moving it to September this year so it’s clearly something already on the table, and not thrown out immediately as being impossible.

12 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

do we? How?

It was mentioned around the time of the cancellation. I think it came from Michael perhaps? Can’t find the exact quote. It didn’t sound like they spent ages looking at it, but it was briefly considered before they cancelled 2020. 

For me personally no because I’ve got two weddings in August next year so it would make my life very awkward one way or another.

That aside, I don’t get why it would move to August anyway. All the warnings about a second wave are for this winter, so a wave that would affect a June festival would have to be a third wave. If we are to have any sort of second wave I can’t see it not being until March/April again, but if we’re in third wave territory I can’t see that impacting things happening anymore.

I'd be on board. I like the fact it's around June normally, but we are talking about a one-off here. Can't imagine the crossover would he that big with Reading/Leeds these days punter wise.

One of my favourite little festivals runs in August and it's a lovely time of year for it. Weather is so much better usually and I like having more of a lay in and more hours of darkness too (although I admit you can't beat those late Glastonbury sunsets). It would be great to have something big to look forward to later in the summer.

If they are really talking about shifting exams dates too it might be a relief for a lot of people.

To be honest anything that meant it would go ahead rather than not (and if I can get a ticket!) would be worth doing in my eyes. Would they have to announce before October resale though?

@stuartbert two hats this should have been a poll!

6 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Is it?! I feel like the opposite is true.

Yeah.... 10 years of doing V festival / Leeds Reading  and I can tell you August is weather is poo haha..... well maybe in the north that is. May June is more often than not the best weather we get up here. 

11 minutes ago, Havors said:

Yeah.... 10 years of doing V festival / Leeds Reading  and I can tell you August is weather is poo haha..... well maybe in the north that is. May June is more often than not the best weather we get up here. 

Ah I'm in the south. Have also done a lot of festivals in August and had glorious weather! I feel like June always gets a lot of rain at some point. We had it this year too.

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

I'd love it to move out of the long daylight, potential oppressive heat of late june (although Reading/Leeds last year was on an incredibly hot weekend for a change). The top of my chest still glows red from last year.

Ideally for me it would move to the weekend nearest 21st December. I could wear a light jacket and watch over half the bands in darkness.

• Upvote 1

There might not be much crossover with bands or punters if Glasto clashed with something like Reading/Leeds, but how many of the traders do multiple festivals? I've definitely seen (read: visited multiple times) the crumble shack at Victorious, there must be plenty of other traders that do the rounds.

Also, I assume the site would be swamped with under 13s if it was outside of term time!

The superfence is also used by cream fields so that couldn’t be shared. 

so you have no fence, no stages, no trackway, no medical services, no traders for all these smaller festivals. 

I know Glastonbury is the biggest, but it wouldn’t do anything to put them out of business. 

I think having it in June is part of the magic.  During the bleak post-Christmas months, it's the first summer event I've got to look forward to.  When I'm driving down and pitching up I always notice there's something special about the weather i.e. it feels to be the first time I feel we've definitely gone from spring into summer.  I'm not sure whether this is because of the climate or the leaves and foliage having only just fully come back.  However there's definitely something special about that time of year.  I noticed the same thing during 'Glastonbury week' this year when I got massive deja vu driving down the M5 not far from the site.  If it was in August, that would massively detract from the buzz for me for that reason and because the average temperatures are so much higher then, which could make it a real slog.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I mean... Fuck other festivals. I am talking about having it later or a serious risk it doesn't happen until 2021 (if at all)

I don’t think it’ll move... it will either happen or it won’t. 

Quite a lot of people like other festivals too! If you only do glasto I can see why you’d think others might matter less I suppose! 

2 hours ago, jparx said:

Plus it seems like some acts are pushing their dates back to later in the summer, so you might have more acts available in August as well. Move it to July 28th - August 1st and get Gaga there!

This isn't happening, is it? Would be a little worrying if it was. Lady Gaga's show this year was to be the same day in July that she is playing next year.