Glastonbury in August (or some other non-midsummer date)

stuartbert two hats

How do you feel about the possibility of Glastonbury not being at the end of June?  I wouldn't want it to be permanent, but I must admit, the idea of an August festival is intriguing.   The whole rhythm of the day would be different.  Like a remix of the normal festival. 

If it was in the middle on August, we'd be looking at roughly two extra hours of darkness.  Easier to sleep in, a headline set starting in darkness like in the old days.  I love the idea of the midsummer festival, but I'd quite like to try it at a different time of year, just once.

The first ever Glastonbury was September...I would definitely be interested in an August Bank holiday weekend festival. 

If there's any resurgence in the virus a second wave will likely be easing in march impacting early summer festivals. Late summer festivals are, in my mind, more likely to go ahead.

The English August bank holiday for Glastonbury probably wouldn't have too many clashes with competitor festivals in terms of acts and attendees. They might be able to do deals with those acts on at other festivals that weekend for less money.

Nope, it'd knock too many other festivals off the calendar.

Where it is at the end of June, you've generally got both the weekend before and the weekend after clear (though unusually IOW are moving to the week before next year, which automatically eliminated any chance I'd consider going).

Moving Glastonbury would not only stop me going to one or two other festivals, but because it's not school holidays I'm not convinced anything worthwhile would take its spot in June.

1 minute ago, incident said:

Where it is at the end of June, you've generally got both the weekend before and the weekend after clear (though unusually IOW are moving to the week before next year, which automatically eliminated any chance I'd consider going).

Moving Glastonbury would not only stop me going to one or two other festivals, but because it's not school holidays I'm not convinced anything worthwhile would take its spot in June.

I mean... Fuck other festivals. I am talking about having it later or a serious risk it doesn't happen until 2021 (if at all)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, incident said:

What Festival would it knock off? 

There's also the challenging question of should it worry them if other festivals failed as a result?

1 hour ago, Leyrulion said:

There's also the challenging question of should it worry them if other festivals failed as a result?

It'd have a knock on effect, to varying degrees, to near enough every festival in the country worth talking about that ran on the same weekend or in some cases overlapped the build.

It's not even just ticket sales. A lot of the crew at Glastonbury are key to other events - Glastonbury sometimes gets described as the "gathering of the tribes", and that's a lot more accurate than most people realise. It's also far from certain that Glastonbury would take precedence in any conflict - given that a lot of people are working just for tickets or well below the rate they get elsewhere, there's a good chance that they go with an event that actually pays them.

A specific example where changing the schedule could likely bite Glastonbury in the arse - a lot of the people who bring the SE Corner to life are heavily involved at Boomtown as well. Forced to choose, I suspect a large number of them would pick Boomtown. Even if they don't, you've likely seriously damaged that relationship.

• Upvote 5

Hello no. Im already going to be lucky enough Im not going to be charged a fare difference when I rebook my flight to the uk, so if they decided to announce new dates thats gonna be the worst thing. They would likely have to take into consideration international travelers and such. Its a big investment, not to say I wouldnt pay the difference in money, but not everyone is capable.

5 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

Reading/Leeds is on the bank holiday weekend.

Plus it’s my mate’s wedding that weekend so for that reason I’m out.

Yeah sure. As a one off I think it’d be fine, and if moving it now increases the chances of it happening then go for it. Other festivals have moved their dates around next year already (not as significant as this, yet) and I expect more will follow just to boost the chances of it going ahead.

Plus it seems like some acts are pushing their dates back to later in the summer, so you might have more acts available in August as well. Move it to July 28th - August 1st and get Gaga there!