Live Aid memories

sedra

My main memory is how the Wembley part was so much better than the Philadelphia part.  I was a huge Duran Duran fan at the time, but the entire U.S. broadcast was so messy.  Dark, lots of people on stage that you didn't know what they were doing there, and in my memory the sound wasn't as good either.

The Wembley section was bright, joyful. Especially all the earlier gigs - not necessarily my favourite bands, but I enjoyed them all: Status Quo, the Style Council, the Boomtown Rats.  Standouts in my memory were U2, Bowie and of course Queen. It was really quite something.

On 7/12/2020 at 4:20 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I recall the day Live Aid was on quite vividly. Up to that day me my brothers and my dad had been building a house, which was to be our future home. Now it would be fair to say that my dad drove me and my brothers like dogs when we were young. Anyway, I can't quite recall who out of my brothers approached my dad with the notion that we could all have a day off to watch Live Aid. The response was something along the lines of 'Live what? You'll get no fucking day off for any live anything'. So, that was that ie we couldn't even watch it live on telly. 

Sorry to read your sorry tale - I hope you got to see it at a later stage.

Live Aid Wembley Saturday 13 July 1985 { 35 years ago }

tickets were £25  but ' we ' { April and I } thought there was a ticket limit. { in the newspapers they claimed there was a limit } 

so we only bought two.

anyway on Friday 12 July 1985 ' April's Young niece {17} showed up from Glasgow -  right out the blue so I decided to let her have my ticket. { she thought they could be bought at the door }

Just as well as it was such a hot day so they were knackered when they arrived back - they had spent a bomb - some people got though the gate with loads of food and drink but their drinks were confiscated at the entry gate they used.{ they even removed bottles of Coke }

There had been sound problems so ' what was seen and heard on the TV broadcast ' was not what they heard at Wembley

I held a big Live Aid party in Cecil Mansions so people were coming in all day and evening - will have to hunt out the photos { well the negatives }  ' and did not get sun stroke ' - they both did 

They went to bed and all the rest of us stayed up all night and the party went on until Monday morning.

the weekend after ' we held another party so April could see the VHS recordings { I owned various VHS recorders so was able to get it all with no gaps }

I was never a fan of Queen but after seeing him in action I got tickets to Queen at Wembley July 1986 and that was a cracking show - my first and last time of seeing Queen. 

s-LIVE.thumb.jpg.4d693873ff384dfc76a6bbec723de838.jpg

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Sorry to read your sorry tale - I hope you got to see it at a later stage.

Live Aid Wembley Saturday 13 July 1985 { 35 years ago }

tickets were £25  but ' we ' { April and I } thought there was a ticket limit. { in the newspapers they claimed there was a limit } 

so we only bought two.

anyway on Friday 12 July 1985 ' April's Young niece {17} showed up from Glasgow -  right out the blue so I decided to let her have my ticket. { she thought they could be bought at the door }

Just as well as it was such a hot day so they were knackered when they arrived back - they had spent a bomb - some people got though the gate with loads of food and drink but their drinks were confiscated at the entry gate they used.{ they even removed bottles of Coke }

There had been sound problems so ' what was seen and heard on the TV broadcast ' was not what they heard at Wembley

I held a big Live Aid party in Cecil Mansions so people were coming in all day and evening - will have to hunt out the photos { well the negatives }  ' and did not get sun stroke ' - they both did 

They went to bed and all the rest of us stayed up all night and the party went on until Monday morning.

the weekend after ' we held another party so April could see the VHS recordings { I owned various VHS recorders so was able to get it all with no gaps }

I was never a fan of Queen but after seeing him in action I got tickets to Queen at Wembley July 1986 and that was a cracking show - my first and last time of seeing Queen. 

s-LIVE.thumb.jpg.4d693873ff384dfc76a6bbec723de838.jpg

I did get to see parts of the footage at a later date. And it goes without saying (to me at least) that Queen 'owned' that show.

• 3 months later...
On 7/14/2020 at 12:51 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I did get to see parts of the footage at a later date. And it goes without saying (to me at least) that Queen 'owned' that show.

well I will agree with you.

Wembley Stadium Friday 11 July 1986 and Saturday 12 July 1986 

the last time Queen { with Freddie Mercury } played at Wembley

tickets were £14.50

{Note Queen Live at Wembley 25th Anniversary DVD set contains both days}

last live performance with Queen { with Freddie Mercury } took place on 9 August 1986 at Knebworth Park.

as I did mention I was never a fan of Queen but after seeing him in action at Live Aid I got tickets to Queen at Wembley July 1986 and that was a cracking show - my first and last time of seeing Queen.

I reckon it was Friday 11 July 1986 { well it is 34 years ago }

The concert was magic but on leaving ' we nearly ended up in a Hillsborough disaster { 15 April 1989 } in reverse !!!!!'

now I did not count them but lets say there is 8 ground exits from Wembley but for some daft reason ' they only opened one '

from the ground you go though a long tunnel - my friends and I tried to leave and it was the most frightening thing we have ever experienced.

as soon as we entered we worked out our mistake but with thousands behind us we could not turn back.

Jam Packed does not fully describe it - if anyone had falling that could have set up a chain reaction and there would have been hundreds trampled to death.

I have been back at the old Wembley and even although they opened all the gates ' I always hung back ' until the crowd had left.  

went to see Pink Floyd in August 1988 on the A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour at Wembley and waited right to the very end.

also The Rolling Stones  1990, 1995 and 1999 - once again waited to the very end as I was so affected by that crush in July 1986

even at Glastonbury I watch out for any possible crush.

shots are from Glastonbury 2013 when The Stones were playing - middle shot is a friend from Ireland { WBC Manager } and bottom shot is just after the concert ' We slipped away just before the band ended ' - we bumped into  the WBC Chairman ' who had just informed me he had a spare ' on stage viewing pass ' - { he was giving the passes by Michael Eavis } but he failed to tell me as he did not know if I was a fan or not - so I told him the next time he should let me know before the bloody concert .

In fact we had spotted him in the crew bar just before the concert but then he vanished - I later found out Michael Eavis had driving up in his Landrover to pick him up { from the back of the crew Bar } so while we walked down - he got driving down !!!!

2013-wbc-92.thumb.jpg.81957d04e9c04a9f7112293115b6447c.jpg2013-wbc-95.thumb.jpg.2936fcee4c011407ff3633141a661206.jpg2013-wbc-96.thumb.jpg.f489e843190e6470b82ffbd71bb98eff.jpg

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

well I will agree with you.

Wembley Stadium Friday 11 July 1986 and Saturday 12 July 1986 

the last time Queen { with Freddie Mercury } played at Wembley

tickets were £14.50

{Note Queen Live at Wembley 25th Anniversary DVD set contains both days}

last live performance with Queen { with Freddie Mercury } took place on 9 August 1986 at Knebworth Park.

as I did mention I was never a fan of Queen but after seeing him in action at Live Aid I got tickets to Queen at Wembley July 1986 and that was a cracking show - my first and last time of seeing Queen.

I reckon it was Friday 11 July 1986 { well it is 34 years ago }

The concert was magic but on leaving ' we nearly ended up in a Hillsborough disaster { 15 April 1989 } in reverse !!!!!'

now I did not count them but lets say there is 8 ground exits from Wembley but for some daft reason ' they only opened one '

from the ground you go though a long tunnel - my friends and I tried to leave and it was the most frightening thing we have ever experienced.

as soon as we entered we worked out our mistake but with thousands behind us we could not turn back.

Jam Packed does not fully describe it - if anyone had falling that could have set up a chain reaction and there would have been hundreds trampled to death.

I have been back at the old Wembley and even although they opened all the gates ' I always hung back ' until the crowd had left.  

went to see Pink Floyd in August 1988 on the A Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour at Wembley and waited right to the very end.

also The Rolling Stones  1990, 1995 and 1999 - once again waited to the very end as I was so affected by that crush in July 1986

even at Glastonbury I watch out for any possible crush.

shots are from Glastonbury 2013 when The Stones were playing - middle shot is a friend from Ireland { WBC Manager } and bottom shot is just after the concert ' We slipped away just before the band ended ' - we bumped into  the WBC Chairman ' who had just informed me he had a spare ' on stage viewing pass ' - { he was giving the passes by Michael Eavis } but he failed to tell me as he did not know if I was a fan or not - so I told him the next time he should let me know before the bloody concert .

In fact we had spotted him in the crew bar just before the concert but then he vanished - I later found out Michael Eavis had driving up in his Landrover to pick him up { from the back of the crew Bar } so while we walked down - he got driving down !!!!

2013-wbc-92.thumb.jpg.81957d04e9c04a9f7112293115b6447c.jpg2013-wbc-95.thumb.jpg.2936fcee4c011407ff3633141a661206.jpg2013-wbc-96.thumb.jpg.f489e843190e6470b82ffbd71bb98eff.jpg

Love the stories, history facts, and photos. Nice one glasto-worker.

31 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Love the stories, history facts, and photos. Nice one glasto-worker.

Shot taking by Neal Preston { Queen: The Neal Preston Photographs book will be out this week } and claimed to be from Wembley 1986.

although I do have a indirect connection to Live Aid - if you recall Sade sang at it

Sade owned a cracking house on Portobello Road { Notting Hill } and somehow I ran into her Manager and he wanted me to check it out as to if it would be suitable to be made into a recording studio - I had a look but I was worried about possible tube vibration's so told him they would have to bring in a engineer to do tests.        

https://youtu.be/zwDjJP_l5AY

_stage_a-a-6.thumb.jpg.260446d743b2f28d68060d378a3aeefc.jpg

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

Shot taking by Neal Preston { Queen: The Neal Preston Photographs book will be out this week } and claimed to be from Wembley 1986.

although I do have a indirect connection to Live Aid - if you recall Sade sang at it

Sade owned a cracking house on Portobello Road { Notting Hill } and somehow I ran into her Manager and he wanted me to check it out as to if it would be suitable to be made into a recording studio - I had a look but I was worried about possible tube vibration's so told him they would have to bring in a engineer to do tests.        

https://youtu.be/zwDjJP_l5AY

_stage_a-a-6.thumb.jpg.260446d743b2f28d68060d378a3aeefc.jpg

You really ought to write your autobiography. I'm sure that it would make a cracking read. :)

On 10/23/2020 at 4:38 PM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

You really ought to write your autobiography. I'm sure that it would make a cracking read. :)

thanks for saying but I have a problem with dates - I know I met Sade's Manager via Bud who used to drink in Portobello Road but have not got a clue the date although it had to be before 22 December 1989 when Nicolae Ceausescu tried to escape Bucharest - I was on a Tarom Flight { London to Bangkok via Bucharest } and that airport was under lockdown so the Plane landed but they { whoever the fuck they are } would not let it depart so I was stuck at Bucharest Airport Overnight - what a pain in the arse that was - so a 2 hour stop over lasted 22 bloody Hours - if I wanted to leave the airport 'they impose a $500 currency exchange' so would end up with Romanian leu at the ' official rate ' + there was no guarantee I could get back in so I sat in that departure lounge for 22 hours - I was not a happy Teletubby

1 hour ago, glasto-worker said:

thanks for saying but I have a problem with dates - I know I met Sade's Manager via Bud who used to drink in Portobello Road but have not got a clue the date although it had to be before 22 December 1989 when Nicolae Ceausescu tried to escape Bucharest - I was on a Tarom Flight { London to Bangkok via Bucharest } and that airport was under lockdown so the Plane landed but they { whoever the fuck they are } would not let it depart so I was stuck at Bucharest Airport Overnight - what a pain in the arse that was - so a 2 hour stop over lasted 22 bloody Hours - if I wanted to leave the airport 'they impose a $500 currency exchange' so would end up with Romanian leu at the ' official rate ' + there was no guarantee I could get back in so I sat in that departure lounge for 22 hours - I was not a happy Teletubby

See, I told you that you should write your autobiography. Fancy getting caught up in the Ceausescu's attempt to escape. 22 hours in an airport lounge - now that's painful. 

On 10/25/2020 at 10:17 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

See, I told you that you should write your autobiography. Fancy getting caught up in the Ceausescu's attempt to escape. 22 hours in an airport lounge - now that's painful. 

it was not clear ' who they were after ' - They ' were the ones walking about carrying AK47's - some were in uniform and some were not - what I found funny was none of these guns set off the metal detectors { perhaps they switched them off } - ' they ' were paying close attention to anyone with short hair { lucky I had long hair and they hardly looked at me } - I believe they were hunting out ' the Securitate ' { Department of State Security  that got Dissolved 30 December 1989} so it was not clear ' who the fuck was who '

We were kept in the departure Lounge although at that time ' we were allowed to smoke ' - can you imagine being stuck for 22 hours without a smoke.

typical airport as ' they did not tell us anything ' apart from it being a National Emergency although ' I could work that part out myself '

its only when I reached Bangkok did I find out why there had been such a panic at Bucharest airport

it was just pure Sods law because I had never flown to Thailand in December { as it did cost a extra £30 or £40 flying in that period } but I wanted to see what Bangkok was like at Christmas - even although they are mainly Buddhist ' they do decorate for the tourist so driving down Sukhumvit Road was a amazing experience as they cover all the trees with thousands of white lights.

Most bizarre thing was seeing some shop holders dressed as Santa Claus - and even more bizarre was in Patpong many of the females in Bars were also dressed as Santa Claus !!!!

48 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

it was not clear ' who they were after ' - They ' were the ones walking about carrying AK47's - some were in uniform and some were not - what I found funny was none of these guns set off the metal detectors { perhaps they switched them off } - ' they ' were paying close attention to anyone with short hair { lucky I had long hair and they hardly looked at me } - I believe they were hunting out ' the Securitate ' { Department of State Security  that got Dissolved 30 December 1989} so it was not clear ' who the fuck was who '

We were kept in the departure Lounge although at that time ' we were allowed to smoke ' - can you imagine being stuck for 22 hours without a smoke.

typical airport as ' they did not tell us anything ' apart from it being a National Emergency although ' I could work that part out myself '

its only when I reached Bangkok did I find out why there had been such a panic at Bucharest airport

it was just pure Sods law because I had never flown to Thailand in December { as it did cost a extra £30 or £40 flying in that period } but I wanted to see what Bangkok was like at Christmas - even although they are mainly Buddhist ' they do decorate for the tourist so driving down Sukhumvit Road was a amazing experience as they cover all the trees with thousands of white lights.

Most bizarre thing was seeing some shop holders dressed as Santa Claus - and even more bizarre was in Patpong many of the females in Bars were also dressed as Santa Claus !!!!

I could read your stories all day and all night long (which reminds me, I've got some emails to catch up on).

I once went to Cuba with my then girlfriend, now wife, about a month before we got married. As I always do my homework when travelling I realised that when we would be leaving the country, it would be advantageous for me to book the VIP Departure Lounge, as not only was it free drink and food, but it had the only room that you could smoke in at the airport. Well, this was the first VIP Lounge that I'd ever booked at an airport, so didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't expect to open the lounge door and see half the population of the room doing a conga across the lounge. There was not one single person in that room that wasn't atrociously drunk. It was absolute mayhem in there, and we very soon joined in. 

There was one barman who you'd think was on commission to get rid of as much quality drink as he could. Even though it was free, I gave him a handsome tip on receiving our first drinks. When the announcement came over to go to the plane, the barman stopped everybody from going to the plane and insisted on giving them more drink. he indicated that he would tell us when to get on the plane. It was about 30 minutes later when he then indicated for us to go to the plane. 30 minutes more drinking time. I, rather cheekily, went up for one last more glass of cava. He didn't have an open bottle, so just got a whole bottle of it and shoved it in to the day pack on my back. So, I got onto the plane with a full 'glass' bottle of cava, when travellers shouldn't have been allowed glass. that barman simply didn't give a fuck about anything.

So, when we left the VIP Lounge and walked to the plane, we were met by the check in clerk that I'd slipped $20 to earlier, and he gave us our upgraded seat tickets. Naughty, but nice.

On 10/27/2020 at 8:22 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I could read your stories all day and all night long (which reminds me, I've got some emails to catch up on).

I once went to Cuba with my then girlfriend, now wife, about a month before we got married. As I always do my homework when travelling I realised that when we would be leaving the country, it would be advantageous for me to book the VIP Departure Lounge, as not only was it free drink and food, but it had the only room that you could smoke in at the airport. Well, this was the first VIP Lounge that I'd ever booked at an airport, so didn't know what to expect. I certainly didn't expect to open the lounge door and see half the population of the room doing a conga across the lounge. There was not one single person in that room that wasn't atrociously drunk. It was absolute mayhem in there, and we very soon joined in. 

There was one barman who you'd think was on commission to get rid of as much quality drink as he could. Even though it was free, I gave him a handsome tip on receiving our first drinks. When the announcement came over to go to the plane, the barman stopped everybody from going to the plane and insisted on giving them more drink. he indicated that he would tell us when to get on the plane. It was about 30 minutes later when he then indicated for us to go to the plane. 30 minutes more drinking time. I, rather cheekily, went up for one last more glass of cava. He didn't have an open bottle, so just got a whole bottle of it and shoved it in to the day pack on my back. So, I got onto the plane with a full 'glass' bottle of cava, when travellers shouldn't have been allowed glass. that barman simply didn't give a fuck about anything.

So, when we left the VIP Lounge and walked to the plane, we were met by the check in clerk that I'd slipped $20 to earlier, and he gave us our upgraded seat tickets. Naughty, but nice.

super recount - have never been to Cuba { and I know you have also been to China and various other Countries  - I think in the USA they are called ' Executive lounge's ' not attached to the airport but the airline so I ended up with access card's to American Airlines - United Airlines and Delta Air Lines - at the time it was just a swipe card so no actual photo on it - they were issued to Thyssen AG { now called ThyssenKrupp which many will not have heard of but seeing they have over 161,000 employees ' they are big players ' - I know your into buildings and here is their Essen HQ }

Now these Executive lounge's are full of Business and first class passengers so I always stood out like a sore thumb ' but no one ever had the balls to check my card '

April's uncle was CEO to Thyssen AG American division so it was a real access card and I was lucky to have a one year open flight ticket so I was all over the states so I was in and out of these  Executive lounge's all the time.  

back to the music

Icon: Music Through the Lens
On: Sky Arts (freeview 11)   Date: Friday 6th November 2020 Time 22:00 to 23:15 

On Camera. Series 1, episode 1.
The history and cultural impact of music photography, featuring interviews with renowned exponents as well as musicians, journalists and social commentators.

The Beatles, Hippies & Hells Angels
On: Sky Arts (freeview 11)   Date: Friday 6th November 2020 Time 23:15 to 01:15 

The story of Apple Corps, the multimedia corporation founded by the Beatles that became one of the most colourful, outlandish and chaotic companies that ever existed.

Thyssen-Krupp-Quartier-Essen-Q1-2013.thumb.jpg.593ffde307be3d44272ca9c183c60e3e.jpg