Kasabian//Tom Meighan

RarerThanDandyB

On 7/9/2020 at 11:21 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am a resident of one the surrounding towns. (Rochdale) In 2008 I went to Arctic Monkeys at Old Trafford. My mate (a Burnley fan) who saw someone with a Burnley hat on. He started talking to him, everything was fine. The guy said to me "How long have you been goin to the Clarets?" I said "Im not a Burnley fan, but been to a few games with him"

Him: "Whats wrong with Burnley?" 

Bang!

He headbutted me, broke my nose & ran through the crowd. 

So, If anyone ever asks you how long you have supported Burnley - say "all your life!"

Arctic Monkeys at Lancs was the worst crowd I’ve ever been part of. And I’ve been to Oasis, The Roses, Kasabian etc. I’ve been to hundreds of football matches. It was horrible from start to finish. 

On 7/11/2020 at 12:55 PM, gigpusher said:

I'll be honest the absolute worst behaviour I ever saw was at a gig in Leeds where a guy just got his knob out and just pissed right up against a poor girl in front of him. It was during the first support act as well. I was disgusted because that's just animal behaviour!! It wouldn't make me say Leeds is awful though or fans of the band were awful because I have seen that band numerous other times and not witnessed anything like that, I'd just say that one guy was a monstrous bellend!! 

I saw that once In London tbf, where somebody pissed all over the floor during Dizzee Rascal's set opening for Muse at the Emirates, and it was the bit that ended up being the pit for when Muse started.

Just now, charlierc said:

I saw that once In London tbf, where somebody pissed all over the floor during Dizzee Rascal's set opening for Muse at the Emirates, and it was the bit that ended up being the pit for when Muse started.

Muse pits are a good memory - I don't recall a good crowd at a Muse gig since Glasto 2010...

23 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Muse pits are a good memory - I don't recall a good crowd at a Muse gig since Glasto 2010...

Reading 2011 and Shepherd's Bush 2013 stick in my mind as particularly fun, although the former was a bit messy thanks to the icy mud below. Some others have been a bit more of a mixed bag. In general, I liked that Emirates show but that moment cited was a low.

Last year's O2 show was a pretty solid & decent crowd tbf. Much better than I expected.

9 hours ago, MEGABOWL said:

Arctic Monkeys at Lancs was the worst crowd I’ve ever been part of. And I’ve been to Oasis, The Roses, Kasabian etc. I’ve been to hundreds of football matches. It was horrible from start to finish. 

I've heard a lot of negative things about that gig's crowd in the past so some of the horror stories shared here kinda don't surprise me. My experience has been a bit mixed bag with Arctics - during the gig, good. Finsbury Park 2014's people flinging nitrous pins was a low, as was the people starting a fight at Earls Court 2013 over football chants on the way out.

My least favourite overall was a Kings of Leon gig in Birmingham 3 years back. The headline grabbing irritation being a couple that ruined The Bucket (my favourite KOL song) with a full-on aggressive argument bordering on something nasty during it. But in general I just found it a crap crowd, which surprised me as Birmingham usually isn't that bad.

On 7/10/2020 at 7:30 PM, RarerThanDandyB said:

Watching the Kasabian footage I got at the 2017 tour, God its heartbreaking. Serge and Tom look so close, likewise all the band. Must be hitting the band hard. They were so good when I watched it back, that tour was great. It's gutting 

Yeah I saw them twice in 2017/18, at Reading and a festival in Paris, and they still had the sense of camaraderie despite doing what they have. I know Tom said he had a rough time between the end of the 48:13 commitments and the making of the last album, so it was good in the moment they could bounce back but it all changes the context.

The whole thing is just sad, fuelled by a central action that was awful to read about and unacceptable to commit. Much as I'm aware Tom has owned it and accepted it was unacceptable, and he should have the help going forward he needs to make sure it never happens again.

17 minutes ago, charlierc said:

I've heard a lot of negative things about that gig's crowd in the past so some of the horror stories shared here kinda don't surprise me. My experience has been a bit mixed bag with Arctics - during the gig, good. Finsbury Park 2014's people flinging nitrous pins was a low, as was the people starting a fight at Earls Court 2013 over football chants on the way out.

My least favourite overall was a Kings of Leon gig in Birmingham 3 years back. The headline grabbing irritation being a couple that ruined The Bucket (my favourite KOL song) with a full-on aggressive argument bordering on something nasty during it. But in general I just found it a crap crowd, which surprised me as Birmingham usually isn't that bad.

You can get isolated arseholes at any gig. I’ve never had a problem at a KOL gig and I wouldn’t tar any City with a rep for that kind of thing. The Arctics gig was something else though. I’m a big guy, I’ve sat in the Home End at football grounds following the away team but it was intimidating from the first moment. The Bar crews were horrific and it seemed very full which didn’t help (there were rumours of a load of forged tickets working), I saw a couple of fights and quite a few near fights. And it was just an overpowering feeling of moodiness. You didn’t want to speak out of turn.

On 7/12/2020 at 7:10 PM, MEGABOWL said:

You can get isolated arseholes at any gig. I’ve never had a problem at a KOL gig and I wouldn’t tar any City with a rep for that kind of thing. The Arctics gig was something else though. I’m a big guy, I’ve sat in the Home End at football grounds following the away team but it was intimidating from the first moment. The Bar crews were horrific and it seemed very full which didn’t help (there were rumours of a load of forged tickets working), I saw a couple of fights and quite a few near fights. And it was just an overpowering feeling of moodiness. You didn’t want to speak out of turn.

Absolutely - if somebody wants to be a bellend at a gig, they have the freedom to do so because they wanted to do something bellend-y rather than it being inherent from where they are. But that does sound like a uniquely weird vibe. Strangely hostile as well, which can't help the ease of trying to get into the spirit of the night.

My experience of my only previous Manchester gig (Bloc Party at Castlefield Bowl last summer) was on the whole very good. Hopefully the delayed Killers gig up there I've got tix for will be worth it too... well and also at least it will happen.

• 3 weeks later...

I do find myself conflicted by this kind of thing.

On the one hand I've always been a strong believer in the need for evidence to back up accusations, not just in this kind of context but across the board.  Trial by (social) media is definitely a risk.

On the other, I get (at least as much a bloke like me can) the need for these stories to be told, heard, and not dismissed out of hand unless someone can prove solid evidence.  I think we saw that in the whole #metoo movement and the trial of Weinstein; it's only when there's confidence in being listened to and supported that people feel they can openly say "this is what has happened to me".

In this instance I do find it easier to believe as that world of backstage and tour buses has been spoken about soooo many times before, and often by the artists themselves. I mean, in the 70s and 80s this wouldn't even have seemed like a story.  It's basically one of the lower key stories from Motley Crue. 

But still, it's hard sometimes to know where to come down.  Gross either way.

A legal representative for The Killers told BBC News: "Any allegations of inappropriate behaviour by anyone on The Killers touring team are taken extremely seriously by the band and their management.

"This person's story is appalling and, while The Killers do not have the same touring crew in 2020 that they had earlier in their career, they will be conducting a thorough investigation into past and present tour staff.

"Their legal team will be reaching out to this person for more information and clarity on the alleged incidents as detailed, as well as to the audio vendor who provided crew for the tour.

"The band are astonished and shocked by these claims. The behaviour attributed to them and their crew is unrecognisable and in direct opposition to the principles with which they run their workplace."

Edited by WhoOdyssey

56 minutes ago, Quark said:

I do find myself conflicted by this kind of thing.

On the one hand I've always been a strong believer in the need for evidence to back up accusations, not just in this kind of context but across the board.  Trial by (social) media is definitely a risk.

On the other, I get (at least as much a bloke like me can) the need for these stories to be told, heard, and not dismissed out of hand unless someone can prove solid evidence.  I think we saw that in the whole #metoo movement and the trial of Weinstein; it's only when there's confidence in being listened to and supported that people feel they can openly say "this is what has happened to me".

In this instance I do find it easier to believe as that world of backstage and tour buses has been spoken about soooo many times before, and often by the artists themselves. I mean, in the 70s and 80s this wouldn't even have seemed like a story.  It's basically one of the lower key stories from Motley Crue. 

But still, it's hard sometimes to know where to come down.  Gross either way.

I think the big problem with the "proper" channels is that is open to abuse by moneyed people who just pay for it to stay private. But then there is false accusations too so its a bit of a minefield! 

Further sleuthing on this Killers business seems to suggest that none of the four core members were involved and rather possibly just touring musicians and crew. Whether the four guys knew about what was going on is another thing (you’d imagine they must’ve) but The Killers themselves don’t seem to be the culprits here.

28 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Further sleuthing on this Killers business seems to suggest that none of the four core members were involved and rather possibly just touring musicians and crew. Whether the four guys knew about what was going on is another thing (you’d imagine they must’ve) but The Killers themselves don’t seem to be the culprits here.

Yeah, this DM from the victim suggests that

ey2AWOI.jpeg

Edited by WhoOdyssey

• 4 months later...
12 minutes ago, Homer said:

I stopped at "its like Superman 3...".

• Upvote 1