Kasabian//Tom Meighan

RarerThanDandyB

20 minutes ago, deepkittycaz said:

And this is why I pegged it out of Manchester at the age of 18 to live down South, and have no intention of ever moving back. I got beaten up on the street several times as a teenager by complete strangers. Never encountered that kind of behaviour anywhere else I've lived. 

There's a deep rooted anger and hatred in and around the city, but I was never able to work out why in my time there....

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am a resident of one the surrounding towns. (Rochdale) In 2008 I went to Arctic Monkeys at Old Trafford. My mate (a Burnley fan) who saw someone with a Burnley hat on. He started talking to him, everything was fine. The guy said to me "How long have you been goin to the Clarets?" I said "Im not a Burnley fan, but been to a few games with him"

Him: "Whats wrong with Burnley?" 

Bang!

He headbutted me, broke my nose & ran through the crowd. 

So, If anyone ever asks you how long you have supported Burnley - say "all your life!"

In (also) 2008 I went to see Arsenal play Burnley in the 3rd round of the FA Cup at Turf Moor.  Away fans were all drinking in the cricket club ground behind the away end.

All was pleasant before the game, afterwards (we had won 2-0) my mate went to get his car and I needed the loo, so I said 'I'll go in the cricket ground for a lash and whilst you get the car and queue up to get out' As I walked down the lane into the car park with a few other Arsenal fans we knew, one of them said 'look up' and stood in the front part of the cricket ground stand were about 50-60 Stone Island clad Burnley fans stood in silence.....as enough Arsenal fans had got into the car park a massive roar went up and they started charging towards any Arsenal fans in sight and kicking the shit out of them, I suddenly found myself running across a frozen cricket pitch with Burnley 'suicide squad' members kicking at my heels trying to get me on the deck so they could stove me in.

Luckily I got away...ran back up the entrance against the wave of police running down with batons, however a few Arsenal fans got cornered by their cars and beaten quite badly.  

From that day forth I vowed to hate anything to do with Burnley and their fans.

I then had to pee in a bush up the road. :( 

News report on the incident: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/3678262.father-son-hooligans-banned-burnley-games/

On 7/9/2020 at 12:23 PM, FuzzyDunlop said:

On meeting you at Boomtown, I don't remember you being tall? But then again I am 6ft 4!

I always try to get to the back centre of the pit...

FB_IMG_1593265554284.jpg

Sorry to jump back to this.

But you're absolutely right i am not the 5ft 9 and a half I thought I was.

Turns out am 5ft 5... 🤨

But thats tall for a girl is it? 

I'm finding this news very hard to process and get over. Kasabian are one of my favourite bands, but Tom's actions here are inexcusable and unforgivable... It's an especially difficult situation for me, as I was a victim of domestic abuse as a child, getting caught between by parents. It was a shockingly similar situation, too, with alcohol, drugs and mental health issues involved. Life has progressed since, and both parents are better now, and have become better for it. I forgive them, and I still love them. Though, obviously, those thoughts will always exist in the back of my mind.

I feel like you can still be a good person, even if you have done bad things. Not to say that you can wave these actions off because they have been good otherwise, but that somebody can get the help they need, and also make amends for their abhorrent actions with everyone they have affected. In my case, it was just my family that were the ones that needed to have amends made. In Tom's case, it's not just Vikki and his family, but also his band mates, his friends and his fans. Making his statement the other night, I think was the first step on a long journey to that redemption. Behind the scenes is not really any of my business. It's down to him in his personal life to make those intimate amends, and whether those close to him will accept those actions.

For me, as a fan, I first and foremost want to know that Vikki is safe and well, and that both her and Tom are healthy both mentally and physically. For me to forgive Tom, as a person, someone who I have met several times and has shown nothing but love to me, I want to see him successfully address his mental health and addiction issues, as well as some large gestures to help other victims of similar actions to him.

I would like him to become an activist/spokesperson in helping victims of domestic abuse, and make some donations to charities that support those victims.

I don't know whether I'll ever want to see him live again, should the opportunity be there, but I know, for myself, that the back catalogue has no reason to be put away, because the bad energy didn't go into that music. New music from Tom would be a completely different moral dilemma, however.

I just hope that everyone is healthy and safe.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, K2SO said:

I'm finding this news very hard to process and get over. Kasabian are one of my favourite bands, but Tom's actions here are inexcusable and unforgivable... It's an especially difficult situation for me, as I was a victim of domestic abuse as a child, getting caught between by parents. It was a shockingly similar situation, too, with alcohol, drugs and mental health issues involved. Life has progressed since, and both parents are better now, and have become better for it. I forgive them, and I still love them. Though, obviously, those thoughts will always exist in the back of my mind.

I feel like you can still be a good person, even if you have done bad things. Not to say that you can wave these actions off because they have been good otherwise, but that somebody can get the help they need, and also make amends for their abhorrent actions with everyone they have affected. In my case, it was just my family that were the ones that needed to have amends made. In Tom's case, it's not just Vikki and his family, but also his band mates, his friends and his fans. Making his statement the other night, I think was the first step on a long journey to that redemption. Behind the scenes is not really any of my business. It's down to him in his personal life to make those intimate amends, and whether those close to him will accept those actions.

For me, as a fan, I first and foremost want to know that Vikki is safe and well, and that both her and Tom are healthy both mentally and physically. For me to forgive Tom, as a person, someone who I have met several times and has shown nothing but love to me, I want to see him successfully address his mental health and addiction issues, as well as some large gestures to help other victims of similar actions to him.

I would like him to become an activist/spokesperson in helping victims of domestic abuse, and make some donations to charities that support those victims.

I don't know whether I'll ever want to see him live again, should the opportunity be there, but I know, for myself, that the back catalogue has no reason to be put away, because the bad energy didn't go into that music. New music from Tom would be a completely different moral dilemma, however.

I just hope that everyone is healthy and safe.

That's a really interesting new perspective- I can imagine its confusing especially when you have such love for the band but also those personal experiences. 

On that last bit purely on the music - being a big fan of theirs would you watch them with Serge singing? Perhaps not as a festival headliner but in a smaller gig, like if he played Bow, Treat etc that he sings anyway and any of the other songs that might suit his voice? (As a casual fan I would like this - with Oasis I always wanted Noel solo gigs anyway and prefer some of his versions which I think is an apt comparison), Or is the band finished for you? 

Edited by efcfanwirral

16 minutes ago, K2SO said:

That's the one. 

The best thing he can do is address his issues and minimise the risk of this happening again. I work with offenders for a living, and there's plenty of people who end up in trouble once, engage with services, address their behaviour and never come back. Let's hope he's one of them. 

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

That's a really interesting new perspective- I can imagine its confusing especially when you have such love for the band but also those personal experiences. 

On that last bit purely on the music - being a big fan of theirs would you watch them with Serge singing? Perhaps not as a festival headliner but in a smaller gig, like if he played Bow, Treat etc that he sings anyway and any of the other songs that might suit his voice? (As a casual fan I would like this - with Oasis I always wanted Noel solo gigs anyway and prefer some of his versions which I think is an apt comparison), Or is the band finished for you? 

It's really difficult. Tbh, I'd love the opportunity to actually have a conversation with Tom, to try and talk things through for my own peace of mind. Obviously this isn't a necessarily viable option.

As for Serge, absolutely I would go see them. I love Serge as a person and a musician. I have spent more time with that guy over the last 2 or 3 years than some of my family, and he's shown me more love than some of them would. Personally, I'd like to see the other guys move on from the Kasabian name, but I think I'd support them in whatever they decide to do. After all, none of this is their fault.

1 minute ago, Northern Jack said:

That's the one. 

The best thing he can do is address his issues and minimise the risk of this happening again. I work with offenders for a living, and there's plenty of people who end up in trouble once, engage with services, address their behaviour and never come back. Let's hope he's one of them. 

Exactly. Sometimes, the system can work very unfairly on one-time offenders, whatever the crime. I have a friend who is in his 40s, while I am in my 20s. He was in prison for a petty theft before I was even born, but to this day, he still struggles to find a job because he has that mark against his record. He is a good man that loves his children and does his best to be a good person, but some people that know his history can't look past it. I think our society has as much to answer for in terms of people struggling after an offense than we care to acknowledge.

23 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Manchester is a victim of its geography and the surrounding town's lad cultures. Quite depressing that it seems to be getting worse as the banner at the City game seemed to suggest.

Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton. I ain't knocking all residents as that is ridiculous to do that but all have a quotient of right leaning numbskulls who unfortunately come out of the woodwork for gigs of this nature. I have given up buying tickets. I get the stage dynamics and crowd dynamics mentioned and we are very much stage left when attending but it is the thought of queuing for a beer /piss with beaked up little shitheads that would happily go a dozen on to one if you challenge their behaviour.

I was born and raised in South Manchester and can hand on heart say it is way more divided now than it was in the eighties. Of course there were problems in areas but I used to go to all nighters in Moss Side, Old Trafford, Whalley Range etc and not have any run ins with anyone. If you went there selling gear then more fool you. 

Anyway, this is completely off topic with the main theme of this thread (sorry)..it would be nice if Liam Fray and a few others got a bit more Terry Hall / Jerry Dammers during their gigs and gave the idiots the big fuck off from the stage but i suppose they are terrified of starting a riot...

I understand that this sounds like a middle aged bloke " In my day" rant but see the country's divisions, BREXIT, the Government, the ongoing seeming lurch to the right in swathes of the media as a depressing empowerment of people who just ain't very nice to each other.

If Glastonbury is the Zenith, a summer's day in Heaton park with several bands who draw the flocks of fake Stone Island clad coke fiends is the Nadir.

Strangely I moved here in 1997 and have lived in Bolton, Salford and Stockport and I think what you are referring to exists everywhere it just a working class lads vibe. As I don't mix in those circles despite living here over 20 years I don't experience it. I came from a working class part of a smallish city in Ireland and my brother describes it the same way you do (funnily enough he also lives on the outskirts of Manchester but is now better off than he was then and he would describe Manchester as being more sophisticated than where we grew up and I always say the only difference is that he's been lucky enough to move up a few rungs on the ladder. 

Obviously bigger cities can have a bigger problem with it because there is potential for more of the same type of person to meet and therefore clash but the same groups exist everywhere. It's amazing how much people can forget about sections of society when they don't have to interact with them any more. I have always had a rule of avoiding gigs where the lead singer gives off a simian vibe because the more the lead singer does that, the more it does tend to attract the more neanderthal fans. 

I have been to hundreds of fantastic gigs in Manchester where I haven't seen an ounce of trouble. There's only been a handful of bands where I have seen trouble and as much as I like some of the music I know what kind of acts to avoid now. I have seen bands have a go at fans who've caused trouble Mark Morriss actually stopped a gig and told them to throw one guy out and said his behaviour was unacceptable. Actually said he'd personally give him a refund to see him gone and Stephen Holt stopped singing and said if people didn't calm down they wouldn't play. I remember chatting to Mark Moriss after one gig and he said the worst behaviour he'd seen on that tour was somewhere in Wales and that Manchester was usually a please to play and given that he's a Liverpool fan he'd only say it if he meant it. 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

I remember chatting to Mark Moriss after one gig and he said the worst behaviour he'd seen on that tour was somewhere in Wales and that Manchester was usually a please to play and given that he's a Liverpool fan he'd only say it if he meant it. 

To be fair I've noticed a big difference in behaviour between "hometown" bands and those similar but not from there. Obviously a couple of exceptions  (AM and Kasabian among them) but I don't feel the same threat level for "outsider" bands however the crowd atmosphere and singalongs are still brilliant. Thinking bands like The Enemy etc, those gigs are an absolute joy in Manchester - all the atmosphere without the fighting. It's those "hometown loyalty" bands that tend to crank it up a notch in my experience 

For a band the atmosphere must be amazing, theres no denying that mancunians love their music and make it great for those on stage. It always comes second to Scotland when bands talk about best crowds. Which I imagine is an extreme version of Manchester on both topics we're talking about from my experience of seeing bands like The View....

Edited by efcfanwirral

I've got to disagree on all the hometown bands causing the trouble. Kaiser Chiefs are the very definition of a hometown football based lad band, they are literally named after a football team with close ties to Leeds United. The link between Leeds United and the Kaisers is incredibly intertwined. The local match coverage always uses Kaisers songs throughout the match program. Seeing them play at Elland Road was one of the greatest gigs I've been to. Easily comparable to the link between Oasis and Man City in terms of team/band loyalty.

I know they're not the most popular band on here but has anyone ever heard of trouble at a Kaisers gig? They have all the hallmarks of a lad band, massive singalong anthems, their biggest song is actually all about all the craziness of a night out in Leeds but actually causing trouble at a gig is the last thing on our minds. You see lots of families and kids at their gigs because the crowd is always so friendly. It's not just when they play locally either, I went on a 600 mile detour while touring Europe just to catch the Kaisers for one day at a festival. The atmosphere at a festival abroad was just as good as it was at home. Noel Gallagher actually followed them on stage that day and the crowd was nowhere near as pumped up for it.

It might just be my Leeds/Yorkshire bias showing but the feeling I have watching Kaisers play is tough to match. I never realised how much of a niche band they are until I started coming on here and seeing how universally hated they are 😂

23 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am a resident of one the surrounding towns. (Rochdale) In 2008 I went to Arctic Monkeys at Old Trafford. My mate (a Burnley fan) who saw someone with a Burnley hat on. He started talking to him, everything was fine. The guy said to me "How long have you been goin to the Clarets?" I said "Im not a Burnley fan, but been to a few games with him"

Him: "Whats wrong with Burnley?" 

Bang!

He headbutted me, broke my nose & ran through the crowd. 

So, If anyone ever asks you how long you have supported Burnley - say "all your life!"

The only 'major' trouble I've ever seen at Molineux was Burnley away fans during the 90s. 

Went to Turf around 2008 or so for the first time, basically a 1970's time capsule. Fucking bizarre place.

Sorry you had that experience during a gig. Some utter scum of the earth about man.

Edited by Stokesy10

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

I've got to disagree on all the hometown bands causing the trouble. Kaiser Chiefs are the very definition of a hometown football based lad band, they are literally named after a football team with close ties to Leeds United. The link between Leeds United and the Kaisers is incredibly intertwined. The local match coverage always uses Kaisers songs throughout the match program. Seeing them play at Elland Road was one of the greatest gigs I've been to. Easily comparable to the link between Oasis and Man City in terms of team/band loyalty.

I know they're not the most popular band on here but has anyone ever heard of trouble at a Kaisers gig? They have all the hallmarks of a lad band, massive singalong anthems, their biggest song is actually all about all the craziness of a night out in Leeds but actually causing trouble at a gig is the last thing on our minds. You see lots of families and kids at their gigs because the crowd is always so friendly. It's not just when they play locally either, I went on a 600 mile detour while touring Europe just to catch the Kaisers for one day at a festival. The atmosphere at a festival abroad was just as good as it was at home. Noel Gallagher actually followed them on stage that day and the crowd was nowhere near as pumped up for it.

It might just be my Leeds/Yorkshire bias showing but the feeling I have watching Kaisers play is tough to match. I never realised how much of a niche band they are until I started coming on here and seeing how universally hated they are 😂

I was only talking about Manchester! Though my 10 years there has given me a poor impression of it that maybe is unduly harsh

I'm with you on the Kaisers home gigs - went to Millennium Square in 2005 when I was at uni there - such a great atmosphere and Graham Coxon supported too! 

Really wanted to do Elland Road but was on holiday I think. They seem to always put on an amazing support bill for those gigs.

Was meant to see them in Castlefield last week with Razorlight so that's one to look forward to next year, I like quite a lot of their more recent songs! 

Edited by efcfanwirral

15 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

To be fair I've noticed a big difference in behaviour between "hometown" bands and those similar but not from there. Obviously a couple of exceptions  (AM and Kasabian among them) but I don't feel the same threat level for "outsider" bands however the crowd atmosphere and singalongs are still brilliant. Thinking bands like The Enemy etc, those gigs are an absolute joy in Manchester - all the atmosphere without the fighting. It's those "hometown loyalty" bands that tend to crank it up a notch in my experience 

For a band the atmosphere must be amazing, theres no denying that mancunians love their music and make it great for those on stage. It always comes second to Scotland when bands talk about best crowds. Which I imagine is an extreme version of Manchester on both topics we're talking about from my experience of seeing bands like The View....

I don't know I went to see Stone Roses at Heaton Park and where I was it felt very safe just mostly drunken singalong and as someone who doesn't drink and generally avoids those kind of gigs because of concerns about the kind of crowds they attract it was fine whereas I saw Shed Seven one year and it felt a lot more unsafe. To put the Shed Seven one in context I also saw them many other times in the same venue where the atmosphere wasn't like that. 

14 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I'll be honest the absolute worst behaviour I ever saw was at a gig in Leeds where a guy just got his knob out and just pissed right up against a poor girl in front of him. It was during the first support act as well. I was disgusted because that's just animal behaviour!! It wouldn't make me say Leeds is awful though or fans of the band were awful because I have seen that band numerous other times and not witnessed anything like that, I'd just say that one guy was a monstrous bellend!! 

17 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Watching the Kasabian footage I got at the 2017 tour, God its heartbreaking. Serge and Tom look so close, likewise all the band. Must be hitting the band hard. They were so good when I watched it back, that tour was great. It's gutting 

Did you ever think about enjoying it in the moment rather than putting a screen up in someone's way for minutes at a time?

2 minutes ago, Bahrain Boy said:

Did you ever think about enjoying it in the moment rather than putting a screen up in someone's way for minutes at a time?

I was sixteen, so no, I was fixated on getting videos which would be nice to watch later down the line and share in a shite Instagram post for likes only to be taken down a year later, Only got two or three short clips.  Nowadays I probably get one picture and if its a band I love maybe a short clip of a song I like. 

• Upvote 1