Kasabian//Tom Meighan

RarerThanDandyB

The scariest thing I’ve done as a steward is walk through the centre part of the crowd to create an imaginary line break to help prevent crowd surges!! Security sent me through first then followed!!! I was proper bricking it! 
People were good though and did ask! 
I always go to the side and have to have a planned route out!! When I’m not wearing uniform! The view and sound is pretty good! Even out of uniform I still look for Crowd surges and waves!! Sadly there are always some dickheads around!! 

21 hours ago, reflekting said:

I like Courteeners as well, but I was appalled at Heaton park when a sizeable chunk started a Stephen Yaxley-Lennon chant. Cretins go to gigs is not a new phenomenon though. 

I've seen Courteeners a lot of times when I lived in Manchester and generally spend the whole day appalled. The atmosphere is good when they're on stage but before and after it's horrible, in town/on the way/ at the venue. 

Worst example was the cricket ground in 2017. mere days after a terrorist attack and a large group of about 20 pissed up lads who can't have been more than 16-17 were climbing all over the carriage like feral animals while singing "twelve german bombers", "one world cup two world wars" and others I won't even name but I'm sure you can imagine based on the events that week. I understood how Brexit happened much more that day as they've clearly got it from somewhere....

Weirdly one of the best atmospheres I've ever stood in was Stone Roses at Heaton park (in the front bit, Saturday night so one of the first one sale). Just a load of  people extremely happy, many crying, at seeing their heroes. I'm sure it was worse further back with the casual crowd but I was pretty concerned before going that day. Memory completely ruined by being inside the Etihad for one of their 2017 shows - was like being at a Courteeners gig again.

And don't get me started on Gerry Cinnamon - at Neighbourhood Weekender all his lot thankfully left after his performance, but in the time it took for me to go to the toilet in the lead up to him coming on stage, some dickhead had threatened to spike my girlfriend's drink in the bar queue , which she swiftly left. He's lucky she didn't smack him but I'm glad she didn't 😂

Its a shame the music I like attracts a sizeable amount of the sort of people I hate....

Disclaimer - obviously not saying everyone is like that at those gigs...just more than we'd all prefer! 

6 hours ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I normally do too. You can usually get closer easier, and far easier to get out and get a drink and got to the loo as well.

Generally speaking the real die hard fans of any particular band will push through to the front central part. I remember at the Streets at Glastonbury last year people were literally shoving people over to get through the crowd and get to the front, and they seemed more like their die hard type of fan. I know these are massive generalisations but I think there is some truth in it. 

the only time I've done front few rows was Glastonbury 09 for Springsteen - I aimed for "front bit" but there was such an exodus after (ironically) Kasabian that I waited by the water stand, walked in and just kept going, ending up 10 from the front! Probably why I enjoyed it more than others, people around me were up for it

Edited by efcfanwirral

Manchester is a victim of its geography and the surrounding town's lad cultures. Quite depressing that it seems to be getting worse as the banner at the City game seemed to suggest.

Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton. I ain't knocking all residents as that is ridiculous to do that but all have a quotient of right leaning numbskulls who unfortunately come out of the woodwork for gigs of this nature. I have given up buying tickets. I get the stage dynamics and crowd dynamics mentioned and we are very much stage left when attending but it is the thought of queuing for a beer /piss with beaked up little shitheads that would happily go a dozen on to one if you challenge their behaviour.

I was born and raised in South Manchester and can hand on heart say it is way more divided now than it was in the eighties. Of course there were problems in areas but I used to go to all nighters in Moss Side, Old Trafford, Whalley Range etc and not have any run ins with anyone. If you went there selling gear then more fool you. 

Anyway, this is completely off topic with the main theme of this thread (sorry)..it would be nice if Liam Fray and a few others got a bit more Terry Hall / Jerry Dammers during their gigs and gave the idiots the big fuck off from the stage but i suppose they are terrified of starting a riot...

I understand that this sounds like a middle aged bloke " In my day" rant but see the country's divisions, BREXIT, the Government, the ongoing seeming lurch to the right in swathes of the media as a depressing empowerment of people who just ain't very nice to each other.

If Glastonbury is the Zenith, a summer's day in Heaton park with several bands who draw the flocks of fake Stone Island clad coke fiends is the Nadir.

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

Manchester is a victim of its geography and the surrounding town's lad cultures. Quite depressing that it seems to be getting worse as the banner at the City game seemed to suggest

I know what you mean. Although the absolute worst has to be the girls from Accrington. I don’t know how they dare show themselves in public. 

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Anyway, this is completely off topic with the main theme of this thread (sorry)..it would be nice if Liam Fray and a few others got a bit more Terry Hall / Jerry Dammers during their gigs and gave the idiots the big fuck off from the stage but i suppose they are terrified of starting a riot...

Problem is that's 80% of the audience gone. 

You can tell he's conflicted about it all - the new music for years hasn't been Manchester lad style singalongs (though a few tracks have made it through) but the festival and big gig setlists have remained largely the same. 

His solo gigs are great - good atmosphere with less of the idiots. 

I'd say it fits the topic because of these types defending Tom Meighan 

Edited by efcfanwirral

Burnley, Blackburn, Bolton. I ain't knocking all residents as that is ridiculous to do that but all have a quotient of right leaning numbskulls who unfortunately come out of the woodwork for gigs of this nature. I have given up buying tickets. I get the stage dynamics and crowd dynamics mentioned and we are very much stage left when attending but it is the thought of queuing for a beer /piss with beaked up little shitheads that would happily go a dozen on to one if you challenge their behaviour.

If Glastonbury is the Zenith, a summer's day in Heaton park with several bands who draw the flocks of fake Stone Island clad coke fiends is the Nadir.

Absolutely spot on. 

Sadly, as someone that enjoys some of these bands and follows North End around, I can't escape it 🙄

It's also depressingly easy to be tarred with the same brush.

3 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Manchester is a victim of its geography and the surrounding town's lad cultures. Quite depressing that it seems to be getting worse as the banner at the City game seemed to suggest.

I was born and raised in South Manchester and can hand on heart say it is way more divided now than it was in the eighties. Of course there were problems in areas but I used to go to all nighters in Moss Side, Old Trafford, Whalley Range etc and not have any run ins with anyone. If you went there selling gear then more fool you. 

I understand that this sounds like a middle aged bloke " In my day" rant but see the country's divisions, BREXIT, the Government, the ongoing seeming lurch to the right in swathes of the media as a depressing empowerment of people who just ain't very nice to each other.

I am a resident of one the surrounding towns. (Rochdale) In 2008 I went to Arctic Monkeys at Old Trafford. My mate (a Burnley fan) who saw someone with a Burnley hat on. He started talking to him, everything was fine. The guy said to me "How long have you been goin to the Clarets?" I said "Im not a Burnley fan, but been to a few games with him"

Him: "Whats wrong with Burnley?" 

Bang!

He headbutted me, broke my nose & ran through the crowd. 

So, If anyone ever asks you how long you have supported Burnley - say "all your life!"

No experience of that to be honest.  Will take your word for it 😉

You are North West area aren't you? Have you been to Beatherder?

I’ve been, fantastic festival very friendly, just reminded me of west holts and the glade

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

Can you imagine what that Parkliife "festival" must be like? 

Shudder...

Got a free ticket in 2018 and wanted to see The XX and Chvrches. First day was good, second was literally like a warzone at about 2pm. So many fights going off - must've all been coming down from the night before. 

Stuck to the main stage after that, where it was generally fine

7 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am a resident of one the surrounding towns. (Rochdale) In 2008 I went to Arctic Monkeys at Old Trafford. My mate (a Burnley fan) who saw someone with a Burnley hat on. He started talking to him, everything was fine. The guy said to me "How long have you been goin to the Clarets?" I said "Im not a Burnley fan, but been to a few games with him"

Bang!

So, If anyone ever asks you how long you have supported Burnley - say "all your life!"

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

am a resident of one the surrounding towns. (Rochdale) In 2008 I went to Arctic Monkeys at Old Trafford. My mate (a Burnley fan) who saw someone with a Burnley hat on. He started talking to him, everything was fine. The guy said to me "How long have you been goin to the Clarets?" I said "Im not a Burnley fan, but been to a few games with him"

Bang!

So, If anyone ever asks you how long you

Yeah, that ain't good mate. Biz of a buzz kill that.

Wow. I didn't realise you get crowds that bad. Chants of 'steven Yaxley-Lennon?  Fuck me that is so depressing. 

Surely the band are aware of this? Why don't they fucking say something. If not at the gig then online at least. 

I despice this sort moronic laddism.

Edited by danbailey80

13 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I know what you mean. Although the absolute worst has to be the girls from Accrington. I don’t know how they dare show themselves in public. 

😡😡😡

(used to live in Burnley actually)

Edited by Wellyboot
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

😡😡😡

(used to live in Burnley actually)

To be fair. I think Squirrel was being a bit tongue in cheek.

I was trying to not generalise as that isn't fair but good heavens, those lads that associate with the Suicide Squad are not great company.

15 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

To be fair. I think Squirrel was being a bit tongue in cheek.

I was trying to not generalise as that isn't fair but good heavens, those lads that associate with the Suicide Squad are not great company.

Haha yeah of course you're gunna get arseholes everywhere and am not defending anyone i think if you go out of ur way to cause trouble ur a w*nker, but having lived in burnley, Padiham and Accrington I've never had any bother.. tho a lot of that is probably down to being a girl I think we get less of it 

Edited by Wellyboot

Just now, Wellyboot said:

i think if you go out of ur way to cause trouble ur a w*nker

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Oh, I never realised you were from that part of the country 😂

See above 😡 You know full well!! Ur a right little shit you 😂😂😂

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Bang!

And this is why I pegged it out of Manchester at the age of 18 to live down South, and have no intention of ever moving back. I got beaten up on the street several times as a teenager by complete strangers. Never encountered that kind of behaviour anywhere else I've lived.