Kasabian//Tom Meighan

RarerThanDandyB

7 minutes ago, D-Low said:

Also the Tweet he posted on his own account sums him up for the person he is, thanking fans and saying he's doing well and in a good place. What a prick.

It's clear they expected him to be open and honest about what happened but maybe he took advantage of the vagueness of the statement, I don't think they could have commented further yesterday due to the case but if they did it today they would have been accused of acting too late

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, D-Low said:

See, I disagree. I don't think it was handled well in the slightest. Why couldn't they have just come out with this statement today? Instead of garnering thoughts and well wishes for him yesterday. No need of it. They could have just come out with a statement today. Or said that he left the band sooner, not the day before court.

Also the Tweet he posted on his own account sums him up for the person he is, thanking fans and saying he's doing well and in a good place. What a prick.

You could argue that it was for him to tell the fans. They gave him as much time as they could.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

2 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

It's clear they expected him to be open and honest about what happened but maybe he took advantage of the vagueness of the statement, I don't think they could have commented further yesterday due to the case but if they did it today they would have been accused of acting too late

Yeah they were in a tough position PR wise. There will never be a perfect way to handle things like this.

Glad to see the line that “Domestic Violence is something that can never be excused” and that it appears they acted immediately upon initially hearing the news. 

It has been a real disappointment to find out that one of my heroes is a vile scum bag and it has made me sick. 

I hope his ex fiancée is getting all the support she needs.

Frankly, maybe this will be a good thing for the rest of the band. They might have to form a new band but that's not always a bad thing.

It seems Serge wants to experiment with other genres of music too, so perhaps this will help them break from the shackles of lad rock that they are so associated with.

Edited by Gilgamesh69

55 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Did he write the first statement though, I wouldn't say so unless he worded it in third person.

The way fans of the band are sticking up for him on the Twitter thread is making me extremely angry. Saying how they shouldn't "kick a man when he's down". Actual words used. Saying how if their mate of 23 years did this they wouldn't disown them but support them in getting their life back on track. Sorry, maybe I'm different. I've had to log off Twitter for the night before my blood boils too much.

1 hour ago, august1 said:

My money is on Miles Kane or someone doing than album with them. 

That’s a decent shout if they were to carry on, hard to replace a front man but think between him and serge it could work. First time I saw Kasabian was with Miles Kane supporting 

Glad they have made that statement. To be honest Ive been thinking for years he was the worst thing about Kasabian. I like Serge's tunes but it became impossible to ignore Tom shouting over them. Quite intrigued where they go from here, under that name or another. It's not like they necessarily need to continue as a headliner straight off, I really enjoyed them before they reached that status and it all seemed to become a bit forced. 

Edited by DJL

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You see, this is why I can see them drafting in a frontwoman.

edit: they'd still be replacing a frontman but yeah

Good call. If I was a indie band from the 2000s in need of a shouty indie bad ass front lady, I’d pick up the phone to Beth Ditto.

I also think the fella from Sleaford mods could do a job. Keeping with the shouty east midlands vibe.

10 hours ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Yeah, it's gross. So many people defending him and giving him sympathy, "he must be going through a lot right now x"

And yet I've hardly seen anyone showing support for Vikki Ager.

I had a read through some of them this morning, and for every comment of "poor Tom" there was a massive queue of comments telling the OP to wind their neck in.  If you can stomach reading the comments it felt like the condemnation massively outweighed the support. Which is something.

11 hours ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Hopefully we don’t use this thread after this, making this so it doesn’t interfere with any other thread. This statement is much better, sad Tom didn’t follow through with the statement he said he was going to do. 

Well Done Kasabian. 

449036F6-4E68-45B8-9A16-D5EBA756418C.jpeg

me, I'm disappointed with this "there cannot be redemption" attitude (tho perhaps it's just poor wording?). Tom staying in the band would not equal condoning what he's done.

If everyone who does something wrong has to become unemployable then we'll end up with everyone unable to work (except the liars). ;) 

If they feel they can't work with Tom they should say it, and not hide behind puritanical bullshit.

Forgiveness is what makes us human. The sort of bullshit above is what makes us mindless.

Pretty damning statement from TM's point of view and doesn't look like he'll be back.  I'm sure the band are now looking at what to do going forward, the obvious options stated below.

Kasabian - continue under current name

Kasabian + new front man's name

New Band Name

My thoughts are that they will form under a new name, although they have distanced themselves from TM's actions the band's name will be linked with his actions. 

11 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

me, I'm disappointed with this "there cannot be redemption" attitude (tho perhaps it's just poor wording?). Tom staying in the band would not equal condoning what he's done.

If everyone who does something wrong has to become unemployable then we'll end up with everyone unable to work (except the liars). ;) 

If they feel they can't work with Tom they should say it, and not hide behind puritanical bullshit.

Forgiveness is what makes us human. The sort of bullshit above is what makes us mindless.

I'd disagree Neil.  It's important, I think, to make sure there's a line between forgiveness/redemption and facing consequences of your actions.

There's nothing preventing him from going away, paying his dues, getting himself sorted out, and making a comeback under his own name or as part of another project.  One of the big arguing points yesterday was that the whole point of the justice system should be a mixture of punishment and rehabilitation.

But equally, he has to face consequences.  His actions have resulted in him losing that job and, from the look of it, his friends. From the wording of their statement he had an opportunity to approach the release of information differently.  If he'd done what was apparently agreed/expected, their follow up and attitude might have been different. That's the consequences.

None of this stops him from seeking and finding redemption. But it's entirely the group's call to look at his actions and say "nope, we're not sticking with this". Given that his behaviour over the last few years sounds to have been challenging, it's entirely possible (conjecture I admit) that they've already stood by him and supported him in sorting himself out, and this was the final straw.

I'll be honest I think the whole thing has been handled badly and to protect brand Kasabian. 

They say they couldn't say anything before the court case but they patently did say something before the court case they announced he was leaving the band. At that stage it was clear he was pleading guilty so it seems to me kicking him out of the band was done to help him get a lighter sentence in court which it most likely achieved. The statement they released the day before could have been released a few months before without jeopardising the court case in any way. 

That being said the way these things are handled is probably a consequence of this ridiculous cancel culture that seems to exist now. The changes that need to be made in society to protect women from violence from men doesn't involve cancelling every man who does something wrong because I think doing that only creates more hostility from men as you can see from the comments of some of their more neanderthal fans. Men need to be taught better how to have a better handle on their emotions to express anger and rage without resorting to fists, to accept that they can't always get what they want. A bit like racism this is a systemic problem that badly needs a resolution and I think some of the punishments we choose to use are not fit for purpose. Time to go back to the drawing room and time to starting raising boys differently to prevent the problem in the future. All attempts to end sexism usually focus on girls but it's actually boys that need to change. There's no point in telling girls they can do anything when boys are told they can't. 

4 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I'll be honest I think the whole thing has been handled badly and to protect brand Kasabian. 

They say they couldn't say anything before the court case but they patently did say something before the court case they announced he was leaving the band. At that stage it was clear he was pleading guilty so it seems to me kicking him out of the band was done to help him get a lighter sentence in court which it most likely achieved. The statement they released the day before could have been released a few months before without jeopardising the court case in any way. 

That being said the way these things are handled is probably a consequence of this ridiculous cancel culture that seems to exist now. The changes that need to be made in society to protect women from violence from men doesn't involve cancelling every man who does something wrong because I think doing that only creates more hostility from men as you can see from the comments of some of their more neanderthal fans. Men need to be taught better how to have a better handle on their emotions to express anger and rage without resorting to fists, to accept that they can't always get what they want. A bit like racism this is a systemic problem that badly needs a resolution and I think some of the punishments we choose to use are not fit for purpose. Time to go back to the drawing room and time to starting raising boys differently to prevent the problem in the future. All attempts to end sexism usually focus on girls but it's actually boys that need to change. There's no point in telling girls they can do anything when boys are told they can't. 

Agreed to a point, but again (and I know you were writing this while I was posting so we're a bit out of sync) it's possible to face consequences without being cancelled (I had to look that term up btw!).

With the more vocal arsehole fans contingent, it's like Hopkins getting binned off Twitter.  No-one's saying she can't use the internet as a platform, but Twitter don't want her on their platform.  But the fan reaction (again very similar) is this massive overreaction like she's been gagged by the thought police.

When behaviour gets challenged, fandom like that has a massive overreaction, like a toddler being told they can't have their toy for a bit. And like toddlers, you can't give into it, or it becomes acceptable.  There *have* to be consequences, and it's important for that concept to become normalised as much as it's important for the actions that led there to stop being normalised, surely?