Mad Cool Festival 2021

qz3

13 minutes ago, ClairW said:

You've linked to an article that states "Mad Cool will throw in the towel and summon their audience for 2022" as a justification for Mad Cool going ahead?

4 hours ago, ClairW said:

I've just read another article stating festival under 25k capacity are likely to go ahead in Spain from early July, which kinda another nail in the coffin for the naysayers. 

All I know, is if it goes ahead and I'm able to get there safely, I'll be there. If not I'll have a nice few days off work (hopefully still in Madrid) sunning myself next to a pool and adding to my tat collection. 

41 minutes ago, xxialac said:

You've linked to an article that states "Mad Cool will throw in the towel and summon their audience for 2022" as a justification for Mad Cool going ahead?

If you read the thread it was in relation to another comment. I've linked to it up above to save you time trying to find it. 

Sometimes it's worth understanding the full context before you try and trip people up. 

Really hope your evening gets better.

Take care dude 🤟

6 minutes ago, ClairW said:

If you read the thread it was in relation to another comment. I've linked to it up above to save you time trying to find it. 

Sometimes it's worth understanding the full context before you try and trip people up. 

Take care dude 🤟

lol, is this your way of saying: «sorry, I was wrong?» 🙄

8 minutes ago, ClairW said:

Take care dude 🤟

I knew that of course but you're not going to get off scot-free! 🙂

The fact remains you were trying to justify why Mad Cool would happen by linking to an El Pais article...and amusingly it's an article that explicitly says that Mad Cool won't happen.

C'mon now, be fair!

8 minutes ago, xxialac said:

I knew that of course but you're not going to get off scot-free! 🙂

The fact remains you were trying to justify why Mad Cool would happen by linking to an El Pais article...and amusingly it's an article that explicitly says that Mad Cool won't happen.

C'mon now, be fair!

😁 you're right. NONE of us know right now. That article was just another opinion piece. If we believed everything we read in the newspapers or heard our governments say we wouldn't know our backsides from our elbows. 

I believe there is still hope. Numbers are heading in the right direction, flights and travel look set to be good from the 28th June. Bands are contracted in AND desperate to play again in front of a live audience. Trials of live events have been happening with the successful data to back up its validity. 

I by no means think it's guaranteed to go ahead, I'm just seeing a lot more positivity on the topic than we had this time last year. 

Just don't give up hope. 

• Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, ClairW said:

😁 you're right. NONE of us know right now. That article was just another opinion piece. If we believed everything we read in the newspapers or heard our governments say we wouldn't know our backsides from our elbows. 

I believe there is still hope. Numbers are heading in the right direction, flights and travel look set to be good from the 28th June. Bands are contracted in AND desperate to play again in front of a live audience. Trials of live events have been happening with the successful data to back up its validity. 

I by no means think it's guaranteed to go ahead, I'm just seeing a lot more positivity on the topic than we had this time last year. 

Just don't give up hope. 

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh...

Imagining I made fun of people for believing major festivals could go ahead in 2021 over in the Primavera Thread back in January. 

Here I am, reading that people think there is a chance Mad Cool will go ahead in less than 8 weeks.  

Apologies to @xxialacspecifically 😄 

German Fusion Festival has just been canceled for July, despite being held in a comparably low incidence region with a rigid compulsory PCR-testing regime enforced for every attendee (on arrival and on the second day of the festival). 

Benelux Festivals made a gamble for late August, but even thats unlikely to play out, given their audience are the last to be fully vaccinated. 

And thats still not accounting for the fact that no large overseas artist will be able to tour in 2021. 

16 hours ago, ClairW said:

Just don't give up hope. 

Both of these are wrong assumptions. Live-Contracts have a reciprocal force majeure clause, that has long been triggered by the bands. Also acts have to make a profitable tour, which is impossible under current conditions, however desperate they are to play. 

Vida festival is actually the best representation of what a festival will look like in 2021: Local and Small

Edited by Quadrophobia

19 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Imagining I made fun of people for believing major festivals could go ahead in 2021 over in the Primavera Thread back in January. 

Here I am, reading that people think there is a chance Mad Cool will go ahead in less than 8 weeks.  

German Fusion Festival has just been canceled for July, despite being held in a comparably low incidence region with a rigid compulsory PCR-testing regime enforced for every attendee (on arrival and on the second day of the festival). 

Benelux Festivals made a gamble for late August, but even thats unlikely to play out, given their audience are the last to be fully vaccinated. 

And thats still not accounting for the fact that no large overseas artist will be able to tour in 2021. 

Both of these are wrong assumptions. Live-Contracts have a reciprocal force majeure clause, that has long been triggered by the bands. Also acts have to make a profitable tour, which is impossible under current conditions, however desperate they are to play. 

Vida festival is actually the best representation of what a festival will look like in 2021: Local and Small

23 minutes ago, Quadrophobia said:

Lots of good points.

The thing is large festivals could have gone ahead in 2021 without increasing infections if:

- there was a government willing to support them with insurance (with the festival signing up to rigid PCR testing requirements and no indoor spaces)

- they were able to hold or delay the event to September (as vaccination numbers good by then)

- they had a pretty good pool of bands at a national level, topped up with European names

Sadly it hasn't quite happened, mostly as governments have shown they generally don't really care about the music festival scene enough to guarantee it.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You say that like it's a negative thing 

There are a lot of people about who seem almost gleeful that things aren't going ahead (although daveje is more measured than that), but wishful thinking is a -ve thing if people are getting excited about going to a festival in early July.

Right now, there's no indication that's going to happen, and frankly it's really poor than Mad Cool have been totally silent.

• Upvote 1

I think the big question now is a sad one which is to wonder whether it will ever happen again.

A lot of the problems faced by the festival have been documented on here. I'm sitting on quite an expensive ticket and I'm starting to feel I might have lost my money.

Expecting to hear something this week at least or next week latest, they can't keep us waiting any longer...

26 minutes ago, bluenova said:

There are a lot of people about who seem almost gleeful that things aren't going ahead (although daveje is more measured than that), but wishful thinking is a -ve thing if people are getting excited about going to a festival in early July.

Right now, there's no indication that's going to happen, and frankly it's really poor than Mad Cool have been totally silent.

You're right.

Some people just need a positive thought to hang on to, regardless of how realistic it may or may not be. We're all dealing with this situation in different ways but someone projecting their pessimism onto others just for internet points is unnecessary. Yeah, we get it, you don't think anything is going to go ahead. Say it once, do so constructively and try and accept that it might be important for others to continue to have some hope that they'll be doing something they love very soon.

I agree with you regarding Mad Cool, too. They're obviously waiting for official government guidance but just be more transparent. Other organisations have kept their ticket holders up to date all the way through the process but Mad Cool, who have a terrible PR reputation already, seem to completely disregard their customers, ignoring all requests for communication, rubbing salt in the wounds by posting largely irrelevant social media posts. Sure, they may not actually have anything concrete to report but just communicate. I think that's all people want.

I'm having the same issue with Monegros Festival near Barcelona (due 31/07) but they haven't posted a single communication since January! 🤣

• Upvote 1

The problem with people relentlessly spreading overoptimism against all facts and common sense, we well as posting evidently false narratives and stubbornly sticking to them is that it gives others casual festivalgoers false hope.

Better to accept now that a massive festival can't possibly take place in a few weeks in a country that has already cancelled all its deeply-loved major cultural events in July and adjust your travel plans.

Some hotels have cancellation policies where time is a factor etc.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bluenova said:

I'm as pissed off about the whole situation as anyone else, but it's better to be realistic. For what it's worth, I'm sitting on tickets for Thundercat that was supposed to be last week. Didn't happen. Had tickets for another concert this week, won't happen. Tickets for something else next month, already cancelled. It's shite.

I made a comment in the last Primavera thread a few months ago (before it got postponed) saying that this year is as lost as last year. I'm still sticking with that. Won't stop me buying tickets for things that are currently 'planned' for end of year, but I'm not deluding myself into thinking that they're definitely going ahead this year. Neither should anyone else at this stage.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, daveje said:

I'm as pissed off about the whole situation as anyone else, but it's better to be realistic. For what it's worth, I'm sitting on tickets for Thundercat that was supposed to be last week. Didn't happen. Had tickets for another concert this week, won't happen. Tickets for something else next month, already cancelled. It's shite.

I made a comment in the last Primavera thread a few months ago (before it got postponed) saying that this year is as lost as last year. I'm still sticking with that. Won't stop me buying tickets for things that are currently 'planned' for end of year, but I'm not deluding myself into thinking that they're definitely going ahead this year. Neither should anyone else at this stage.

I agree about being realistic. Mad Cool in July would be astonishing.

Although many of the August/September festivals, particularly in the UK, appear to be pretty confident - and that seems to be reasonable. It'll be interesting to see if any of that confidence spreads across Europe.

Just now, Sparticus said:

Fact or logic? 

Was on twitter (email response from Madcool to a ticketholder).

Didn't actually say cancellation but all but implied it. "Same options regarding refunds" apparently which seems to suggest they are trying to run it in 2022 at least.

13 minutes ago, ThomasP said:

Christ some of the contributions to this thread are depressing. 

I think quite a lot of people who hadn't logged in before, or for a few months, maybe see the festivals going ahead in the UK, and took the lack of news as being a positive.

As it is, there's been no build up to the festival from Mad Cool's side, most bands aren't showing any activity till later in the Summer, and about the only interview that the organiser has done (just over a week ago in El Pais), said they're just waiting for official confirmation, but are planning for next year. He did say that the future of the festival wasn't in danger.

43 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Was on twitter (email response from Madcool to a ticketholder).

Didn't actually say cancellation but all but implied it. "Same options regarding refunds" apparently which seems to suggest they are trying to run it in 2022 at least.

Thanks, makes total sense, the orangisers have to try and balance not alienating either punters or bands, whilst the same ensuring tickets are purchased up until they have to postpone. Got my eye on this for 2022, lineup looks great. 

These comments  "no mad cool anymore", "worst festival" etc are based on Belgium guy "inside info". He comes to this thread only for hate comments. No one knows who this guy is, but starting to repeat his words. 
So, no Mad Cool in 2021, I think this obviously. If festivals back next year, i think Mad Cool will be back also.