Mad Cool Festival 2021

qz3

10 hours ago, ClairW said:

So much negativity. Flights from UK to Spain should be back on by 28th June with Spain being on the green list. I'm honestly optimistic Mad Cool is going ahead this year. Only last week Deftones tweeted about playing Mad Cool. 2DCC have a couple of planned indoor gigs in Spain within a few days. 

I don't think it will be at full capacity, they had already decreased ticket numbers from 2019 and of course there were many tickets refunded from last year. They already closed extra sales of Wednesday when they rescheduled last year. 

As for making an announcement "that it might not go ahead" as requested above. That's just bad business practice. The show must go on and all that jazz. 

Hi

If everything did work out and Spain bought its numbers down, rolled out vaccines were on the green list, and flights were back who would play? Madcool have a history of booking big international acts. For those who bought tickets for 2020 it was an awsome lineup. Most of the american acts booked for that and rolled over and the newer bookings are not going to be playing.

With no disrepect to potential late bookings which may be Spanish acts it would not be the brand they are trying to build.

The organisers might do something this year at some point but it would not be "Madcool" it would be a PR mess. Maybe put out an event with local acts, big spanish names and brand it as a little sister or such.

Selling tickets for Taylor Swift, Killers, KOL and then putting on an event with headliners that no one knows would damage the brand even in these times. For those of us who rolled tickets over from 2020 it was with the faith that the next addition would be as good or even better.

i do like your positive vibe but for me its just a case of sorting out the admin on flights/hotels and so the sooner the bad news comes the better. I am not  trying to be negative just practical.

• Upvote 1

Possibly all the artists contracted to play. Travel for work reasons are allowed. All artists would have been given an opportunity to sign a new contract  otherwise legally they couldn't be named on the line up. Yes some artists did pull out last year like Taylor but Killers, KOL, RHCP, Cardie B are all still on the line up and also have other dates in Europe around the same time. I believe EU and US will be on each others Green list from May 20th. 

As for the other point by another User on The Killers cancellation of UK gigs, this was because they were scheduled for May and June and as you can see the UK isn't ready for a UK festival until after June 21st (hence Download being postponed). 

There is definitely some positive news out there. Both Alex James festival is set to run this year and Chris Evans announced Car Fest will go ahead with a confirmed line up in July on Monday of this week. 

Don't get me wrong, I still have a shadow of doubt it won't go ahead, I'm not entirely stupid 😳

That said, there are more positive indicators than this time last year and I do believe they can pull it off, with the only REAL unknown is the impact of new variants like the current Indian one. Give it 4 weeks and we'll know if the vaccination program is working. 

The real unknown is why the Spanish government would do an extremely dramatic U-turn and allow a vast mass event (and this doesn't even take into account that none of those bands listed above will come to Europe) when they've made it very clear that they'll be cautious with reopening and there's no government insurance for festivals.

The festivals listed above are in the UK and also much smaller than MC. This is not the UK and the vaccination programme here in Spain is 2 months behind.

The chance of it going ahead in July is 0.00%

I'll just leave this here...

"The Spanish government has given the green light to the return of fans into stadiums at professional football. However, stadiums will only be open to supporters in regions that qualify as ‘phase 1’ epidemiologically, excluding Madrid, Barcelona and others.

Maximum capacity will be 30% of the ground’s capacity with a limit of 5,000 spectators. Only home fans will be allowed into games. 

A safety distance of 1.5 metres must be maintained at all times between everybody in the stands.  Supporters will be divided into different sections and given staggered entrance and leave times to avoid crowding at the doors. 

Eating food, drinking anything except water, and smoking will be prohibited. Temperatures will be checked upon entry, and all supporters will have to wear an FFP2 mask without a valve at all times."

Edited by xxialac

Yes this is the current stage now. However the Spanish Government according to the below news article,  is working towards and back to normality by the end of June, should things stay on track. 

Perfect timing for Mad Cool

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52459034

All I'm saying is there's still a glimmer of hope and anyone with tickets that plans to go, hope isn't over yet!

It's okay to be optimistic - spread the love!

16 minutes ago, ClairW said:

Yes this is the current stage now. However the Spanish Government according to the below news article,  is working towards and back to normality by the end of June, should things stay on track. 

All I'm saying is there's still a glimmer of hope and anyone with tickets that plans to go, hope isn't over yet!

Hope is over for june/july mass events in Spain since long time ago. 

First mass events in spain are getting planned for early september (Fallas in Valencia for example).

21 minutes ago, ClairW said:

Umm, don't know how to break this to you but you've posted an article from 2020...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Disagree with me as much as you want. But there is no need to make personal attacks and imply I have a drug dealer. 

I wish you find some happiness in your life soon so you don't have to get whatever little kicks you can from sarcastic comments to strangers 😉

Peace and love bro x

2 hours ago, ClairW said:

Possibly all the artists contracted to play. Travel for work reasons are allowed. All artists would have been given an opportunity to sign a new contract  otherwise legally they couldn't be named on the line up. Yes some artists did pull out last year like Taylor but Killers, KOL, RHCP, Cardie B are all still on the line up and also have other dates in Europe around the same time. I believe EU and US will be on each others Green list from May 20th. 

I can't predict what countries are going to be on countries green lists but most if not all American acts will not be touring Europe this year especially the big ones. Killers, KOL, Pixies and others have already moved dates of their tours to next year.

What ever state mainland Europe is in, a bigger clue to the likelyhood of American bands playing Europe is the fact that UK festivals are mainly booking British/Irish artists.

I'm hoping a lot of the names from 2020 & 21 are back next year but in any alternative universe that Madcool 2021 takes place it will be without the big US names.

My advice would be to look around for a UK alternative for this year with British artists.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ClairW said:

Great advice. 

I guess only time will tell. 

If you are right, I've got a problem as I have made alterative plans.

I wish I had your positivity, maybe I listen to far to many miserable indie singers 🙂

• Like 1

Here is a Spanish festival that is trying to go ahead and does have a chance. 

But even then will be under tight measures with maskwearing etc AND it's dramatically smaller than Mad Cool AND all the non-Spanish acts (which previously comprised pretty much all the main acts) have now bitten the dust. 

Cartell_2021_XDIES_NEW2.jpg

• Like 1

I've just read another article stating festival under 25k capacity are likely to go ahead in Spain from early July, which kinda another nail in the coffin for the naysayers. 

All I know, is if it goes ahead and I'm able to get there safely, I'll be there. If not I'll have a nice few days off work (hopefully still in Madrid) sunning myself next to a pool and adding to my tat collection. 

11 minutes ago, xxialac said:

Here is a Spanish festival that is trying to go ahead and does have a chance. 

But even then will be under tight measures with maskwearing etc AND it's dramatically smaller than Mad Cool AND all the non-Spanish acts (which previously comprised pretty much all the main acts) have now bitten the dust. 

Cartell_2021_XDIES_NEW2.jpg

11 minutes ago, Dales said:

If you are right, I've got a problem as I have made alterative plans.

I wish I had your positivity, maybe I listen to far to many miserable indie singers 🙂

Well being double booked would be a problem 🙈😁

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, ClairW said:

I've just read another article stating festival under 25k capacity are likely to go ahead in Spain from early July, which kinda another nail in the coffin for the naysayers. 

All I know, is if it goes ahead and I'm able to get there safely, I'll be there. If not I'll have a nice few days off work (hopefully still in Madrid) sunning myself next to a pool and adding to my tat collection. 

Enjoy your pool holiday x

• Downvote 1

My god some people are being dicks for no reason. 

The data is all heading in the right direction. Deaths in both the UK and Spain are very very low. Even the Indian variant doesn't look to evade vaccines. Everything is on track. US bands are allowed to travel. Look at Taylor Swift who turned up at the Brits.

Cases will become more and more irrelevant until deaths rise. Until then everything is looking good, and we're still 2 months away. Compare where we are now to where we were two months ago. 

However, we will see, all the doomers saying no chance without providing much reasoning and just insulting optimistic people are dicks. Don't be a dick just because some people are looking at the positive trends and hoping for the best 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, ClairW said:

Could you link to that article? Cheers

21 minutes ago, 5thtimer said:

The data is all heading in the right direction. Deaths in both the UK and Spain are very very low. Even the Indian variant doesn't look to evade vaccines. Everything is on track. US bands are allowed to travel. Look at Taylor Swift who turned up at the Brits.

Cases will become more and more irrelevant until deaths rise. Until then everything is looking good, and we're still 2 months away. Compare where we are now to where we were two months ago. 

However, we will see, all the doomers saying no chance without providing much reasoning and just insulting optimistic people are dicks. Don't be a dick just because some people are looking at the positive trends and hoping for the best 

Just to compare. Here in Norway has every big festival in the Summer cancelled. The biggest one is even in August (Øyafestivalen)! And we have like 0 cases compared to Spain. 

It could be a Mad Cool festival, but not a normal one. 

Edited by Martin_89

18 minutes ago, 5thtimer said:

However, we will see, all the doomers saying no chance without providing much reasoning 

How much more reasoning do you want??

To add to Martin89's point and all the others points mentioned, if the mostly vaccinated UK can't have giant 60,000+ festivals in early July, how on earth do you think Spain is going to? And no one is saying that cases aren't low. But governments across Europe have shown they don't have an appetite for mass events on this scale - and the governments decide.

And incidentally Taylor Swift has a home in London. The idea that bands can just casually cross the transatlantic at the last minute for this is bonkers.

Or do all the MC international acts have a place in Madrid?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 5thtimer said:

Swift’s current squeeze is English and been here for a while. I’m sure Haim and Olivia Rodrigo couldn’t escape the quarantine laws either. If it was so easy to come over, Pink would’ve been there?

1 hour ago, 5thtimer said:

Hey - Their are some people who love to be pessimistic, so I wouldn't worry about pleasing everyone 🙂

Sadly, July is almost certainly out, no matter how optimistic you are. Spain is behind the UK in vaccinations, and the earliest big name music festivals going ahead in the UK are at the end of July. The biggest difference is that the big UK festivals all confirmed as soon as the UK roadmap was announced a couple of months ago. There's lots of activity and communication coming out of festivals that are 1-2 months later than Mad Cool.

I'm usually optimistic, but if Mad Cool went ahead early July it would, as far as I can see, be the first big name festival going ahead in Europe, and yet we've not heard a single word from them. There's a small possibility that they're planning for later in the summer, or they're just waiting for a definite confirmation on when is best to postpone.

To be the first festival on, but the last to confirm just doesn't make any sense unfortunately.

Edited by bluenova
  • Upvote 1