Mad Cool Festival 2021

qz3

On 12/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, birchtree29 said:

It's crazy how Post Malone was in the third stage at Mad Cool 2018 during Pearl Jam. There were less than 1000 people when he got on the stage. 

Things change crazily fast in this era.

I also remember about Billie Eilish originally announced to perform in a tent at Pukkelpop 2019 and then moved to an early afternoon Main Stage slot after Good Charlotte defection. In 2020 she was supposed to headline anywhere.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up watching the YouTube footage of when Arctic Monkeys played Mad Cool in 2018 (which I went to) and setting aside the bizarre trick of La2 having a between-song commentator, it made me feel real nostalgic for coming. It's the weird place where we are now right now though - I'd love to be bold enough to book this, particularly as I like the line-up for this years, but can anyone be confident?

14 hours ago, charlierc said:

I ended up watching the YouTube footage of when Arctic Monkeys played Mad Cool in 2018 (which I went to) and setting aside the bizarre trick of La2 having a between-song commentator, it made me feel real nostalgic for coming. It's the weird place where we are now right now though - I'd love to be bold enough to book this, particularly as I like the line-up for this years, but can anyone be confident?

I booked tickets for mad cool in 2019 for the 2020 edition and if anything the lineup is even better for 2021 if it doesn't happen this year the lineup for 2022 will be insanely good I reckon

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

I'm increasingly pessimistic. I think only 10% chance and July just that little bit too soon.

Spain's pandemic is now starting to get out of control again and not enough vaccinations yet.

Can they postpone to September?

I think we'll know by maybe April. Most places have started slowly, but vaccinations in the UK are now up to 2.5m a week, and apparently will go higher quickly.

If the supply of vaccines keep up, and other European countries have access to similar amounts, then pretty much everyone likely to die will be covered by April. With few deaths, and maybe 40-50% vaccinated, it's hopefully going to be clear by then whether we can keep a lid on new infections.

If, instead, the news is of vaccine shortages, new strains not being covered etc., then I guess it's 2022 😞

3 hours ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

I booked tickets for mad cool in 2019 for the 2020 edition and if anything the lineup is even better for 2021 if it doesn't happen this year the lineup for 2022 will be insanely good I reckon

Friend of mine's in that boat - he booked tickets to come in 2020 and rolled it over to 2021. Though he told me a few days ago he wasn't confident it'll happen. It would be great if its on.

Hopefully there's some scheme to roll stuff over to 2022 if not.

2 hours ago, xxialac said:

I'm increasingly pessimistic. I think only 10% chance and July just that little bit too soon.

Spain's pandemic is now starting to get out of control again and not enough vaccinations yet.

Can they postpone to September?

I would like to believe it'll take place but yeah. Stay pessimistic about that probability and if it happens, it'll be a bonus.

2 hours ago, charlierc said:

Friend of mine's in that boat - he booked tickets to come in 2020 and rolled it over to 2021. Though he told me a few days ago he wasn't confident it'll happen. It would be great if its on.

Hopefully there's some scheme to roll stuff over to 2022 if not.

I would like to believe it'll take place but yeah. Stay pessimistic about that probability and if it happens, it'll be a bonus.

They'll automatically roll the tickets over to 2022. festivals need the ticket money to stay with them I don't think they can afford to issue refunds and then plan a festival for next year 

1 hour ago, Paulmcm1998 said:

They'll automatically roll the tickets over to 2022. festivals need the ticket money to stay with them I don't think they can afford to issue refunds and then plan a festival for next year 

Well, we'll have to wait and see. I can't help but think outright cancellation is likelier than another reschedule for a number of events like this, but we're still kinda dabbling in hypothetical directions as opposed to concrete signs.

23 minutes ago, xxialac said:

But will they even be able to run next year?

Doesn't strike me as a very stable festival and two years of no revenues whatsoever could spell the end...

Hope not...

There's certainly general anxiety about the thing as a whole, given it's the atrophy inherent to having an entire industry paused for 2 years, even if it is a multi-billion pound grossing thing. But I'm aware there's previously been specific concerns about this one behind the scenes.

17 minutes ago, johnybegood said:

Andalucía president said today: the best scenario is 70% of Andalucía people vaccinated in october. 

They will try to vaccinate all over 70yo population before may.

2021 will be a lost year in Spain in terms of mass events.

There is no chance of big festivals happening in Spain this year. Sad but true.

Set against that, vaccination is only 1 tool in the toolbox.

The other tool is testing.

Mad Cool is a controlled environment and everyone can be pre-tested and their result checked at the gate, just as is currently the system used at airports.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

Bought tickets after it was postponed last year and was optimistic back then we would be in a much better place by this time but gutted to say I can't see this one going ahead. Unless maybe mass testing each day? Fuck knows. Clutching at straws as was so looking forward to a festival in the sunshine. 

On 1/16/2021 at 10:38 PM, charlierc said:

That song commentator was so weird. She even coughed during sone of the songs. Also they didn't put Batphone and Star Treatment in the livestream to have a commercial break 😄

15 hours ago, johnybegood said:

Andalucía president said today: the best scenario is 70% of Andalucía people vaccinated in october. 

They will try to vaccinate all over 70yo population before may.

2021 will be a lost year in Spain in terms of mass events.

There is no chance of big festivals happening in Spain this year. Sad but true.

Juan Manuel Moreno is not a reliable opinion of anything. 

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, Degu said:

Juan Manuel Moreno is not a reliable opinion of anything. 

No Spanish politician is relieable, that's true, but these are the plans for Andalucía. If the scenario changes it is because the vaccination will be even slowler. I can't see them improving their plans.

Do you think that Juan Manuel Moreno team will improve their vaccination plans? No way. All that they can do is being even slowler.

1 minute ago, johnybegood said:

No Spanish politician is relieable, that's true, but these are the plans for Andalucía. If the scenario changes it is because the vaccination will be even slowler. I can't see them improving their plans.

Do you think that Juan Manuel Moreno team will improve their vaccination plans? No way. All that they can do is being even slowler.

Of course, all european countries improve it. 

On 1/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, birchtree29 said:

That song commentator was so weird. She even coughed during sone of the songs. Also they didn't put Batphone and Star Treatment in the livestream to have a commercial break 😄

Yeah Batphone was one of the best songs that night and a TBHC cut that wasn't performed that often so no recording of that was a disappointment. But cutting songs seems to happen all the time. But yeah the commentator was unnecessary and odd, nevermind the fact there's a few songs where I can hear commentator coughing (Don't Sit Down and Do Me a Favour are the 2 that immediately come to mind).

Such is the weirdness of it. I like it being there but it's a very confusing presentation package.