Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Besides, you’re only risking your own health and your friends (and the risk is microscopically small), so there’s no need to apologise to anyone on here. I’m glad you got to be reunited with your friend and greet them with a hug 

I understand what you’re saying, but by this logic, I could throw a massive house party with 50 people and claim oh “I’m only risking young people’s health, and none of us are going to die from it”.

When in reality, if one of us coming to that party had the virus, the other 49 of us would leave with it and go back and spread it to their family members and potentially older members in the community who could then suffer badly from the virus.

I know having a hug with your friend is on a much smaller scale, I’m just saying by your logic I can do whatever I want and then say oh no ones life is at risk. That’s the exact sort of attitude which leads to an exponential rise in cases and puts vulnerable people’s lives in danger. 

Regardless, this whole situation is so difficult, and everyone has their own tolerances with dealing with it. Having a hug with someone else is a coping mechanism and is not particularly a bad thing, although I’m choosing not to hug anyone myself. But by this logic we can just do whatever we want now and not worry about the effects to the wider community; we still do have to be careful about our actions.

1 minute ago, FestivalJamie said:

I understand what you’re saying, but by this logic, I could throw a massive house party with 50 people and claim oh “I’m only risking young people’s health, and none of us are going to die from it”.

When in reality, if one of us coming to that party had the virus, the other 49 of us would leave with it and go back and spread it to their family members and potentially older members in the community who could then suffer badly from the virus.

I know having a hug with your friend is on a much smaller scale, I’m just saying by your logic I can do whatever I want and then say oh no ones life is at risk. That’s the exact sort of attitude which leads to an exponential rise in cases and puts vulnerable people’s lives in danger. 

Regardless, this whole situation is so difficult, and everyone has their own tolerances with dealing with it. Having a hug with someone else is a coping mechanism and is not particularly a bad thing, although I’m choosing not to hug anyone myself. But by this logic we can just do whatever we want now and not worry about the effects to the wider community; we still do have to be careful about our actions.

It’s not correct to say that every single person in a party would catch the virus if a single person brought it in btw. There’s a reason the natural R number, in absence of any social distancing, is 2.5-4. You get the odd superspreader who infects 20+, but that’s quite unusual. 

Its also not the case that most or all young people live with vulnerable relatives. In fact I’m sure this is more common in Spain and Italy. 

• Downvote 2

33 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s not correct to say that every single person in a party would catch the virus if a single person brought it in btw. There’s a reason the natural R number, in absence of any social distancing, is 2.5-4. You get the odd superspreader who infects 20+, but that’s quite unusual. 

Its also not the case that most or all young people live with vulnerable relatives. In fact I’m sure this is more common in Spain and Italy. 

Well I live with my mum who is visiting my grandma regularly, so that could easily cause a transmission chain and could be the same for a lot of young people, bar those who live on their own or with friends.

I’m just saying, every action has knock on consequences. In the case of a single hug, transmission risks are low at the moment and therefore is unlikely to put the greater community at risk, but if you meet up with a group of 20 friends and are hugging every single one, you really should be thinking about the bigger picture. Social distancing is still so important. Sure, form a “social bubble” with some friends who you feel the need to be closer to, but by no means social distancing should go out of the window with others because then when you step back out onto the street again those basic principles are forgotten and put other community members at risk.

Its not like anyone is isolating for 2 weeks every time they throw a house party or illegal rave at the moment, and therefore it’s putting lives at risk and that’s why I don’t agree with it.

Hugging someone is on a much smaller level, and it’s not something I would be against others doing on a small scale, but I just think people need to be really careful because that could lead to not social distancing on a much wider scale which is what will cause another wave.

Edited by FestivalJamie

11 minutes ago, FestivalJamie said:

Well I live with my mum who is visiting my grandma regularly, so that could easily cause a transmission chain and could be the same for a lot of young people, bar those who live on their own or with friends.

I’m just saying, every action has knock on consequences. In the case of a single hug, transmission risks are low at the moment and therefore is unlikely to put the greater community at risk, but if you meet up with a group of 20 friends and are hugging every single one, you really should be thinking about the bigger picture. Social distancing is still so important. Sure, form a “social bubble” with some friends who you feel the need to be closer to, but by no means social distancing should go out of the window with others because then when you step back out onto the street again those basic principles are forgotten and put other community members at risk.

Its not like anyone is isolating for 2 weeks every time they throw a house party or illegal rave at the moment, and therefore it’s putting lives at risk and that’s why I condone it.

Hugging someone is on a much smaller level, and it’s not something I would condone others doing on a small scale, but I just think people need to be really careful because that could lead to not social distancing on a much wider scale which is what will cause another wave.

Just to clarify something, but I think you might be mixing up your definition of the word condone, surely you “don’t” condone illegal raves but do condone hugging on a small scale? 

10 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Just to clarify something, but I think you might be mixing up your definition of the word condone, surely you “don’t” condone illegal raves but do condone hugging on a small scale? 

Sorry, it’s early for me and I’m half asleep.

I don’t mind hugging on a small scale (not that I’m doing it myself- but others doing it- if “social bubbles” have been formed) , but I have a massive issue right now with people having house parties, illegal raves and big gatherings where everyone is not social distancing etc as I find it really disrespectful.

Edited by FestivalJamie

• 3 weeks later...

Do I win the award for the person who held out longest before going to the pub? Went to a little rural pub in Warwickshire at the weekend when visiting the "in-laws". They have loads of outdoor space so had done a really good job of spacing out loads of benches and making good use of it. Was busy but obviously felt very safe under those conditions. Loads of good dogs! Stayed for one pint (first freshly poured since a Holiday Inn bar in March). Was nice. No idea what the pub in question will do when it gets colder as the indoors wasn't open at all (it's very small with low ceilings and one of those places that's absolutely rammed with knick knacks so would be a nightmare to clean I imagine). Guess we'll see.

23 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Do I win the award for the person who held out longest before going to the pub? Went to a little rural pub in Warwickshire at the weekend when visiting the "in-laws". They have loads of outdoor space so had done a really good job of spacing out loads of benches and making good use of it. Was busy but obviously felt very safe under those conditions. Loads of good dogs! Stayed for one pint (first freshly poured since a Holiday Inn bar in March). Was nice. No idea what the pub in question will do when it gets colder as the indoors wasn't open at all (it's very small with low ceilings and one of those places that's absolutely rammed with knick knacks so would be a nightmare to clean I imagine). Guess we'll see.

Nope, not been yet!

Mind you, I didn't really go previously so it's not exactly fair. It'd be like claiming I've won the "going longest without going on a date with Kylie Minogue" award :lol:

1 hour ago, Ryan1984 said:

Chances of Rishi’s Eat Out scheme being extended through September? Seen a few in the sector asking for it. The problem if they do is then does it just keep getting extended...

can't really see it, it's had the desired effect of causing people to go out - so they'll hopefully have the confidence to continue going out.

If it's not succeeded in doing that the first time it's probably not going to do it over a longer period.

1 hour ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Ive held out ... untill tomorow ... friend is leaving the area so A couple of us are taking him out for a meal ... hopefully sat outside but think the chances are going to be low 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while. I could do with a rant. I've been putting it off. Partly 'cause of not being sure which thread would be the most appropriate to have a rant in.

But you've got me. Right here right now.

A conversation I had with The Landlord of a local last night.

It'd been a good Halloween. A Black Sabbath tribute band. How appropriate.

Me (exiting) : "See you tomorrow then. It'll be the first and last time I'll see you next month".

Landlord : "We will still be open Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday. We might be having to give the beer away on Wednesday".

Me : "FFS. You always used to shut early during the week pre pandemic anyway. When was the last time you were open of an evening during the week?"

Landlord : "Aye. But that were pre pandemic. First lockdown nearly shut us down. If it'd gone on any longer we might not have re-opened. This another month might just finish us off. Fucking come and buy some beer during the next week. Possibly your last chance".

Me : "OK. Like I said, see you tomorrow".

So. Maybe do go to the pub? It may be your last chance. With obvious apologies to those already locked down.

Hey. I'm on leave. Nothing else to do. I'm going for it. I have an excuse. This pandemic has really done my mums head in and I've had to get professionals involved. I'd been trying for months and then this last week or so everything happened so fast. It's done my head in.

Like I said. Needed a rant. Off down the pub now. Still can't get used to acts starting at seven. It will be my first and last gig of the month. Hope it's not the last of the year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I still haven't been to a pub since before the first lockdown in March. Surely that warrants a Blue Peter badge, a rosette, or some other pointless waste of resources!? 

I'm impressed! 

I gave in around August/early September and went to outdoor beer gardens a few times for meals (not even eat out to help out) because it was clear what would happen in the winter months and here we are. Weather turned 6 weeks ago so haven't been since, and I'd imagine it'll be April before I have another proper pint (warm ish weather permitting)

Edited by efcfanwirral

6 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I'm impressed! 

I gave in around August/early September and went to outdoor beer gardens a few times for meals (not even eat out to help out) because it was clear what would happen in the winter months and here we are. Weather turned 6 weeks ago so haven't been since, and I'd imagine it'll be April before I have another proper pint (warm ish weather permitting)

I haven't found it difficult, if I'm honest. I used to live my life in pubs, but that was a long time ago now. I was (and still am) mostly drinking at home when covid first struck, in any case. That said, I could go a few pints of real ale, but it just wouldn't feel comfortable for me- so what's the point of paying to do something where you can't relax, I ask myself?