Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, fatyeti24 said:

I've not yet been to a pub, but I have just been for a massage. It was lovely, but so was having a good chat with my friend (the masseuse), also a small business owner. The hoops they have had to jump through to reopen are numerous. 

I'm finding that the social interaction is as beneficial as the reason I ostensibly went out for in the first place. 

I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment, so when I do splash out its important to me to support those businesses I want to survive. So I'll not be popping into a 'spoons anytime soon. 

I was once given the opportunity to travel to the Far East a fair few times on the very cheap. One of my mates from school was going out with a bloke who worked for British Airways, and this bloke (now a dear friend to me) was allowed to purchase certain flights on the cheap as a staff perk. The perk extended to allowing two other people to travel with them. I'd been on my tod relationship wise for a few years and then they asked me if I'd like to join them. Ever flown Business Class? OK, ever flown Business Class to Thailand and back for £120? I doubt it. So, these two lovely people took me on holiday with them (and a fair few other holidays thereafter too.). So, we arrive in Bangkok and stay there for a few days to take it all in. If you haven't been to Bangkok but you have seen the film Blade Runner, then you'll appreciate what was going through my mind.

Anyway, we leave Bangkok and fly internally to Chiang Mai. On the first full day there, my two friends looked at the Lonely planet book to see what sort of thing was actually ' recommended' to do there. They came across an activity and said something along the lines of 'Right then, we'll go there and do that'. Now to explain what that meant was that we were about to go to the women's prison and get a massage from a prisoner. The moment I heard this I couldn't believe my ears, and kind of went into shock. I seem to recall saying something along the lines of ' there's no fucking way I'm doing that'! Then it was explained to me. It was explained that the practice of having a massage was within the grain of the culture, and not like the 'Executive relief' parlours over here. They then told me that the book indicated that the idea was to pay the women so that they could learn a new trade to use productively outside of the prison in future, so that they needn't go back to crime - especially prostitution. I'd never been for a massage before but thought, given this new knowledge, I'd run with the idea.

So, we went to the prison, had the massage, and paid the ladies handsomely. It is only now, after reading books about prisoners abraod that I know that these women will have had our payment taken off them by the prison guards. The guards will just pocket the money for themselves. If I had known this to be the case, I can honestly say that I'd have rolled up a fair bundle of currency and made sure it was half hanging out of my pocket, so that the prisoner could swipe it unnoticed. The Id make a fine performance of giving her some more moeny at the end. This would be the money that the prison officers would swipe.

You'll never guess what happened the next day. It's actually Glastonbury Festival related. I went down to meet my friends at breakfast only to discover that one of them had not only brought e tablets into Thailand, but had flown across the country with them too. He had just thrown a load of socks etc into the rucksack when packing for Thailand that he had previously used for Glastonbury, and the bag still had about 8 e's in it. So, I say to them at the breakfast table ' So, where are the e's now'? The response was that they had been flushed down the toilet. Oh fuck me stupid, but that was not the information that I wanted to hear.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I've not yet been to a pub, but I have just been for a massage. It was lovely, but so was having a good chat with my friend (the masseuse), also a small business owner. The hoops they have had to jump through to reopen are numerous. 

I'm finding that the social interaction is as beneficial as the reason I ostensibly went out for in the first place. 

I don't have a lot of spare money at the moment, so when I do splash out its important to me to support those businesses I want to survive. So I'll not be popping into a 'spoons anytime soon. 

Splash out. 

Yep, you got me.  

Always love the entendres

On 7/29/2020 at 3:36 PM, FestivalJamie said:

So I’ve been invited to an indoor pub with a group of 7 others for a couple of weeks time.

As far as I’m aware that’s against the government guidelines, but I don’t even know if anyone is sticking to these anymore?

A couple of the people are quite irresponsible so I’m quite worried about how they are going to act and what it’s going to be like, I feel like I will be constantly on edge as I can’t trust all of them to be sensible.

And as some of you may know, I personally feel the rules in pubs in this country are too relaxed, especially when compared to the rules in shops etc. I feel like that could make me more stressed of feeling at risk to the virus.

If it was outdoors, then I would be more willing to go, but it’s an indoor pub so that does put me on edge a bit.

Has anyone got any advice?

It sounds like you don't really want to go & would struggle to relax.

I'd say don't feel you have to go out of social pressure.

But I'd also try to invite a few of the group your closer with to something you'd be more comfortable with another time.

You don't want to ostracise yourself.

1 minute ago, found home in 2009 said:

It sounds like you don't really want to go & would struggle to relax.

I'd say don't feel you have to go out of social pressure.

But I'd also try to invite a few of the group your closer with to something you'd be more comfortable with another time.

You don't want to ostracise yourself.

Thank you. That’s a really good idea. If they were meeting outside I would be more comfortable. So if I invite them to something I’m more comfortable with then hopefully that way I can keep my friends close. :)

I live in a small village in the NW near (ish 15 miles) to Blackburn and yesterday our pubs and bars were absolutely rammed. One of them has a massive beer garden and we popped along in the afternoon thinking it was safe and we were told it was a 25 min wait for service. Lots of gangs of workers all piled onto small tables, families with youngsters running around and very little social distancing going on. Safe to say we scarpered, didn't even look at the other pubs as they were also had very busy beer gardens.

On Wednesday I was in my local record shop and it was very well organised, hand sanitiser, one way system and compulsary mask etc. There was a guy in there I knew and he was telling the story of the Witherspoons in the town and on Saturday night and how it was full to rafters with no-one taking notice of the special measures. This place holds 350-400 people and apparently the queue was a mile long outside.

How on earth is it right that certain shops (quite rightly) have a 'one in one out' system with special measures, yet pubs can do what they like!! We're screwed.

Mrs L & I have not been to the pub and feel uneasy with crowds. As Mrs L says, when you've experienced first hand what Covid 19 does you feel uneasy without all your PPE. And it's that lack of experience of others, the vast majority who have not been directly affected by Covid 19, that has the potential to undermine the effort undertaken so far (lockdown was a consequence of Covid 19). 

Edited by Lycra

10 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

What's that? Not familiar.

You joke, but I was checking a guest in and she'd never heard of Test & Trace (we have to ask permission to pass on details if contacted). I had to explain it to her. Wasn't even a case of "oh, you mean contact tracing". Genuinely no concept

7 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

You joke, but I was checking a guest in and she'd never heard of Test & Trace (we have to ask permission to pass on details if contacted). I had to explain it to her. Wasn't even a case of "oh, you mean contact tracing". Genuinely no concept

Fucking hell. That's actually quite impressive.

4 hours ago, philipsteak said:

Really??? What age group were they?

I can't believe how much some folk live in bubbles :huh:

Was in four different pubs in Glastonbury and the Crossways in north Wooton this week.  All very well run, good social distancing and cleanliness and everyone seemed to be following the correct protocol. Though mostly drank and ate outside. The Riflemans was the busiest and the friendliest! , seemed to be quite a few locals in there. 

15 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Don’t go to the ..... restaurant?

Anyone going to participate 

It’s the summer holidays With the kids for us so I’ve no doubt we will at some point over the next 4 weeks.  Not rushing anywhere though just because of that. 

I went to the pictures yesterday. Masks in the foyer, but not neccessary in the screen itself. Dunno if that's just cineworld's policy, as the government is mandating it from next week - although I don't know if that means in then screens as well.

It was alright. The 15 or so of us watching Unhinged, sitting away from each other didn't feel much different to the usual sunday afternoon low budget movie.

Giant banners for films that never came out on the dates specified gave the place a great post apocalyptic vibe.

46 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Don’t go to the ..... restaurant?

Anyone going to participate 

Me and the girlfriend have booked a restaurant every week of August to take advantage of this. Lots of independents we’ve been meaning to check out for ages so great opportunity to do so.

Also, although they’re not the type of businesses that need help, I’d be lying if I said I’m not gonna pop in to some of the major fast food chains and get me some cheap as fuck double cheeseburgers and the like.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

I went to the pictures yesterday. Masks in the foyer, but not neccessary in the screen itself. Dunno if that's just cineworld's policy, as the government is mandating it from next week - although I don't know if that means in then screens as well.

It was alright. The 15 or so of us watching Unhinged, sitting away from each other didn't feel much different to the usual sunday afternoon low budget movie.

Giant banners for films that never came out on the dates specified gave the place a great post apocalyptic vibe.

Similar at my cineworld except the posters had all been taken down and the TV advertising trailers was showing films that were released in February (remember back then?).

I’m interested in if you’ll have to wear masks during showings too. I know people who have managed to book seats together from different households. Thought the systems would stop that?

Unhinged was a stupid leave your brain at the door film, hey!

14 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

Similar at my cineworld except the posters had all been taken down and the TV advertising trailers was showing films that were released in February (remember back then?).

I’m interested in if you’ll have to wear masks during showings too. I know people who have managed to book seats together from different households. Thought the systems would stop that?

Unhinged was a stupid leave your brain at the door film, hey!

When I clicked on the seat plan yesterday it would let me click on seats directly behind other people, which I was surprised at. Dunno if it would let you complete though, as obviously I wasn't going to risk it.

If I had to wear a mask during the showing, it wouldn't be the worst thing. It's nice and cool in there and not nearly as uncomfortable for me to wear a mask in than shops and the train.