Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

Back on topic. Have been in my my local for consecutive days. It felt right. The landlord is managing it correctly and folk are adjusting to doing the right thing.

Not sure what it would be like in a city centre gaff at the weekend but small town seems tolerable

• Upvote 1

Some people don’t blink an eye at the idea of £30, £80, £100 for a bottle of wine at a decent restaurant, but it’s widely regarded as insane equating a pint at £12. 16% barrel aged stouts shouldn’t be drunk by the pint, and nor should 14% Chardonnay. 

well, I mean they can be, but in me at least they’ll precede an extremely lengthy afternoon kip 🤣 

the best wines in the world are four, five figures for a bottle. Same with whisky/ey. I don’t personally see any problem with the best beers in the word being £15/£20 a bottle. Perhaps the best beer I’ve ever had was Omnipollo/buxton yellow belly sundae, which was a 14% barrel aged imperial stout, and was I think £12 for a 330ml bottle. It was incredible - rich, thick, delicious. Like an amazing pudding in a glass, and well worth savouring. I wouldn’t bung it in a pint glass and drink it while grilling a few sausages and prepping some potato salad, though; I’d want a cold can of something refreshing for that (no, not Coors light, ta) 

I think more than anything it’s that there’s lots of price points and lots of situations in which to have loads of different kinds of beer. It’s not all sudsy stuff to be bunged out in 24 packs, some are sexy individual things to be cherished, and al lof it is perfectly acceptable. There’s room at my table for lots of beer. 

thirsty now 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, balti-pie said:

Some people don’t blink an eye at the idea of £30, £80, £100 for a bottle of wine at a decent restaurant, but it’s widely regarded as insane equating a pint at £12. 16% barrel aged stouts shouldn’t be drunk by the pint, and nor should 14% Chardonnay. 

well, I mean they can be, but in me at least they’ll precede an extremely lengthy afternoon kip 🤣 

the best wines in the world are four, five figures for a bottle. Same with whisky/ey. I don’t personally see any problem with the best beers in the word being £15/£20 a bottle. Perhaps the best beer I’ve ever had was Omnipollo/buxton yellow belly sundae, which was a 14% barrel aged imperial stout, and was I think £12 for a 330ml bottle. It was incredible - rich, thick, delicious. Like an amazing pudding in a glass, and well worth savouring. I wouldn’t bung it in a pint glass and drink it while grilling a few sausages and prepping some potato salad, though; I’d want a cold can of something refreshing for that (no, not Coors light, ta) 

I think more than anything it’s that there’s lots of price points and lots of situations in which to have loads of different kinds of beer. It’s not all sudsy stuff to be bunged out in 24 packs, some are sexy individual things to be cherished, and al lof it is perfectly acceptable. There’s room at my table for lots of beer. 

thirsty now 

It's like the first cuckoo of spring - pubs are opening and now you're back on the forum :lol:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

12 quid for a bottle of feckin beer.   A small bottle of beer. Isn't that approximately 24 quid for a pint (equivalent)?

I'm out of my depth with that sort of madness. Enjoy it. 

1 pint of that drink or 16 500ml bottles of quality local ale from Morrisons for the same price.

I think I know what I would go for. 

Well, I’m glad we can all be kept happy then!  I get my smaller amount of poncy strong beer and you both get a larger amount of something that keeps you content: this is what the beer industry should be doing!

It’s far preferable to the majority of the last 25 years, where the choice in pubs and supermarkets was overwhelmingly the same ol shite slopped into differently coloured cans: Carling or Carlsberg? Oh let’s go round the corner, they have Stella there. Oh joy! 

my piss-to-getting-pissed ratio is far superior, and that’s my end goal - exponential fun factor per ml 🤣🤣🤣

4 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I ain't sure how old you are but zero problems obtaining quality beer in supermarkets and pubs for last 25 years.

The eighties were a bit shite. Thatcher's fault

And Stock, Aitken and Waterman's

Edited by MrZigster

10 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

12 quid for a bottle of feckin beer.   A small bottle of beer. Isn't that approximately 24 quid for a pint (equivalent)?

I'm out of my depth with that sort of madness. Enjoy it. 

Before the lockdown, the way festivals were putting the bar prices up each year, they were quickly heading towards £24 for a pint of Tuborg.

17 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

I ain't sure how old you are but zero problems obtaining quality beer in supermarkets and pubs for last 25 years.

The eighties were a bit shite. Thatcher's fault

Other ciders are available 😁

20 hours ago, balti-pie said:

This has reminded me of the time I asked for a bottle of Chablis in a restaurant and was agog when the bill came and it was £80. I'd inavertantly skimmed through the separate half bottle menu and thought the price was half that.

I am in esteemed circles here.  I don't look beyond the house offering when dining out.  Am I wise or parsimonious? Starting to wonder. 🙂

My pal used to buy for Oddbins so I wait for his Lidl and Aldi recommendations then purchase half a dozen.

Aldi Cotes Du Rhône Village's folk's. Get involved.

it even looks the part..lol

IMG_20200724_151148.jpg

Edited by Jay Pee

8 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I have to defend the pub a little now. They have taken contact details. Still the most unorganised one I’ve been in yet. 

You turned down the opportunity to Moon Walk? Have you lost all control of your senses?

Which reminds me - Confession Time. I was once so out of it in a pub that I was rave type dancing to the music that was being emitted from the gambling fruit machine. I'm not entirely sure where I thought the sound was coming from, but hadn't even run that money sucking mother up the flag pole. 

I have come to the conclusion that the only thing that I am actually really good at, is being a tool of biblical proportions. I need to turn this around somehow. Oh, I know - I need to play to my strengths in order to achieve this. Oh, hold on a minute .........

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Which reminds me - Confession Time. I was once so out of it in a pub that I was rave type dancing to the music that was being emitted from the gambling fruit machine. 

I reckon I have danced to worse than this in the mid 90's 🤣

Just noticed on Twitter that these are doing an outdoor gig in the car park/beer garden of a pub in Ellesmere Port, on the Mersey docks. Given we have had no live music at all round here for months I reckon it’s gonna be rammed (within social distancing rules obviously).