Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

14 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Two of my mates are the manager and assistant manager in the Head of Steam in Headingley so I can recommend there. I sometimes get a word in on the beer selection as well but normally waste it by requesting all their guest lines have stouts on.

They're accepting walk ins as well which not all placed do at the moment. 

The missus actually suggested that one on Sunday so we might very well be popping in. That or I can't remember the name but the one around there with the massive beer garden and loads of benches. Used to have a massive screen outside as well showing sport. But we only live a 5 minute walk from Kirkstall Taps though so if it's raining (40% chance according to my phone) we might just pop down there.

1 minute ago, metallimuse said:

The missus actually suggested that one on Sunday so we might very well be popping in. That or I can't remember the name but the one around there with the massive beer garden and loads of benches. Used to have a massive screen outside as well showing sport. But we only live a 5 minute walk from Kirkstall Taps though so if it's raining (40% chance according to my phone) we might just pop down there.

The Original Oak

13 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Mill Hill. Every date you select for Park Row shows up as unavailable. 

Hmm, bit weird on Mill Hill as it seems like you can't use the website. Could be worth an email? 

Just had a look on Park Row and are you trying to book for two people? Looks like the booking systems rubbish (actually I know it is) and doesn't have any tables for two but as soon as I look at three or four people there's availability. 

On 7/21/2020 at 10:18 AM, Padjeq said:

yeah, and it was vegan too.

The pint I had was rasperry and vanilla pale ale. pure pink, looked like a glass of Robinson's squash.

Nice!

On 7/21/2020 at 3:56 PM, Jay Pee said:

Craft beer pricing is largely a piss take and im staggered that people pay it. I'm partial to a bit of it but only at Morrisons prices..

These are why I went back into home brewing to get a variety of beers for a good price. In mitigation, I've been getting 2-3 deliveries from breweries per month over lockdown to support them; I'm from Yorkshire with Scottish ancestors but Methodist social roots overcome parsimony. Jay Pee, yes, prices are a bugger, but with smaller volumes and less economies of scale, whacking more hops in, barrel aging etc, it does pump up the prices. The relief taper was changed last night so the smaller breweries will be paying more whilst the bigger ones won't.

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

I hear you but paying more for a tin of craft beer than a half decent bottle of wine can Get In The Fuckin Sea

Can I use that name for my next Brut Mocha Nut Espresso Milkshake Saison?

On 7/21/2020 at 1:37 PM, Losing my hair said:

Sorry, I'm know I'm an old fogey, but - raspberry and vanilla pale ale with a biscuit. Are you from a parallel universe?

I knew that once I hit my forties, the time would come that not only would I fail to understand what the youngsters were in to, I would decide that I didn't want to understand, safe in the knowledge that things were better in the old days.

I'm only 41 and it's happened already.

I love people moaning about craft beer 🤣🤣🤣 things change, it’s not only various shades of boring brown twiggy beer or characterless lager, there’s tons of different stuff at all sorts of price points and I love the crazy 16% barrel aged macadamia nut and white chocolate imperial stouts more than anything else 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I love people moaning about craft beer 🤣🤣🤣 things change, it’s not only various shades of boring brown twiggy beer or characterless lager, there’s tons of different stuff at all sorts of price points and I love the crazy 16% barrel aged macadamia nut and white chocolate imperial stouts more than anything else 

That sounds nice. It's the fruit beers I don't get on with. Besides, I don't like change any more.

I had a table booked for me and my partner for Saturday lunchtime at a Streetfood place in town we love going to. It's now all table service etc as per the guidelines. 

However, my partner works for a family business (butchers), onsite factory so they prepare all their own meats etc. We decided to cancel the booking cause if we get a phone call to say someone at the place we went to for lunch tested positive, then the whole shop/factory my partner works at would have to close until everyone waited for their own test results to come back. We just felt it was not worth the risk for the sake of having  pint and a burger.

• Like 1

I’ve got a perfect draft machine which doesn’t necessarily work out at fantastic value, but when you factor in the multi buys and the money you get back for returning Kegs you’re still getting a pub quality pint for about £1.50/£2.

I used to have a Heineken sub machine and some of the craft beers work out about £5 a pint on that, eye watering. 

12 hours ago, balti-pie said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. The pub shed at bottom of the garden has an impressive collection. My gripe is the pricing can be exorbitant and again I fully understand the small batch, more expensive ingredients angle etc etc. All that said, in some pubs in Manchester they are selling it as 12 quid a pint and above.  The ABV "Calculator" of beer pricing puts it out of range to be honest.

I'm well into change but not into getting rinsed. Craft beers for sampling at home. Cask beer when out in town. The economics drive the decision.

I cant help feeling it's a bit ... 

emperors-new-cloth.jpg

1 hour ago, Jay Pee said:

I'm not disagreeing with you. The pub shed at bottom of the garden has an impressive collection. My gripe is the pricing can be exorbitant and again I fully understand the small batch, more expensive ingredients angle etc etc. All that said, in some pubs in Manchester they are selling it as 12 quid a pint and above.  The ABV "Calculator" of beer pricing puts it out of range to be honest.

I'm well into change but not into getting rinsed. Craft beers for sampling at home. Cask beer when out in town. The economics drive the decision.

I cant help feeling it's a bit ... 

emperors-new-cloth.jpg

That bit, absolutely. To quote my step daughter - are you having a laugh??

4 hours ago, Tartan_Glasto said:

I had a table booked for me and my partner for Saturday lunchtime at a Streetfood place in town we love going to. It's now all table service etc as per the guidelines. 

However, my partner works for a family business (butchers), onsite factory so they prepare all their own meats etc. We decided to cancel the booking cause if we get a phone call to say someone at the place we went to for lunch tested positive, then the whole shop/factory my partner works at would have to close until everyone waited for their own test results to come back. We just felt it was not worth the risk for the sake of having  pint and a burger.

👏👏

1 hour ago, carlosj said:

That bit, absolutely. To quote my step daughter - are you having a laugh??

You can't normally buy a pint of it though.  Pints that cost that much are normally sold in thirds, which really is what you'd want to drink them in.  Leaving it as £4 a drink, which isn't cheap, but nothing like as expensive as £12 per pint sounds.  The comparison should be to wine for some of these rich, strong beers, not John Smiths.

38 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You can't normally buy a pint of it though.  Pints that cost that much are normally sold in thirds, which really is what you'd want to drink them in.  Leaving it as £4 a drink, which isn't cheap, but nothing like as expensive as £12 per pint sounds.  The comparison should be to wine for some of these rich, strong beers, not John Smiths.

You're right on the comparison and that the smaller quantity would brook less objection. My real objection is an excessive mark up in places from the cost they've brought in the booze, although if their tenancy and rent costs are higher than usual, that would encourage a max out to cover cost.

You ain't convincing me 🙂

I am happy to sample at home and drink a pint when out and about. 4 Quid can still get me a decent pint of cask most of the time in the regular haunts. 

if I'm paying 4 quid for a small glass of something, it's going to be grape based or distilled rather rather than hops, yeast, water and barley. No matter how many bearded chaps in braces have milked panda's into it.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jay Pee said:

You ain't convincing me 🙂

I am happy to sample at home and drink a pint when out and about. 4 Quid can still get me a decent pint of cask most of the time in the regular haunts. 

if I'm paying 4 quid for a small glass of something, it's going to be grape based or distilled rather rather than hops, yeast, water and barley. No matter how many bearded chaps in braces have milked panda's into it.

Eh?  Really?  Even if it's the same strength? Seems fairly arbitrary.