Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You can still see the smiles in their eyes, like Danny, The Champion of The World's dad.

Not me.  I have cold dead eyes.

Although interestingly I know that Japanese emojis focus more on the shape of the eyes for meaning instead of the mouth.

6 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

its a good idea actually

There's a market for transparent facemasks to aid people who rely on lip reading.  Could potentially become more widespread, although they're obvs not as simple to manufacture / cobble together as pure fabric.

23 hours ago, pryce said:

i would go to the pub, but unfortunately i find myself living in Nuneaton ...Coventry's arsehole ..and there are no good pubs

There's one near the train station with good beers. Only ever gone in there on saturday afternoons though.

24 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

There's one near the train station with good beers. Only ever gone in there on saturday afternoons though.

Pubs near stations are almost universally ropey!  Odd exceptions of course, but it's a reasonable rule of thumb :D

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Pubs near stations are almost universally ropey!  Odd exceptions of course, but it's a reasonable rule of thumb :D

There's a small chain called Head of Steam. They are mainly based near stations for obvious reasons. Always have a great selection of ales etc usually locally sourced.

1 hour ago, squirrelarmy said:

There's a small chain called Head of Steam. They are mainly based near stations for obvious reasons. Always have a great selection of ales etc usually locally sourced.

There’s a pub in York train station which is really nice, might be head of steam 

3 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Yeah, there's one in Huddersfield, it's excellent. Or was, not been there for years, it might not be there anymore.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

I don't think it's Head of Steam but there's a great pub on the platform at Stalybridge Station. 

26 minutes ago, Losing my hair said:

I don't think it's Head of Steam but there's a great pub on the platform at Stalybridge Station. 

Stalybridge Station Buffet Bar.. absolutely mint*

* Avoid on a Saturday.. plastic pots and bouncer's thanks to the popularity of the Rail Ale Trail..

Station pubs have got better. Agree about previous form. They used to be the frequent of socer hooligan's, bored squaddies and various Nillionaires.  Deffo improved. Sheffield Tap, York Tap, Euston Tap, Piccadilly Tap (off top of my head)

25 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Stalybridge Station Buffet Bar.. absolutely mint*

* Avoid on a Saturday.. plastic pots and bouncer's thanks to the popularity of the Rail Ale Trail..

Station pubs have got better. Agree about previous form. They used to be the frequent of socer hooligan's, bored squaddies and various Nillionaires.  Deffo improved. Sheffield Tap, York Tap, Euston Tap, Piccadilly Tap (off top of my head)

I'm pretty sure it was Head of Steam I met you in before Fontaines! 

17 hours ago, Quark said:

Don't have to tell me, but Nuneaton is the sort of place where even the starbucks closed down. Pub choice is minimal. It's this or the wetherspoons.

24 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

Don't have to tell me, but Nuneaton is the sort of place where even the starbucks closed down. Pub choice is minimal. It's this or the wetherspoons.

Oh absolutely.  The station pub near one of our offices I was based at was our standard lunch / Friday post-work haunt.

Realise I may have sounded more than a little snobbish about station pubs, my bad!

On 7/14/2020 at 3:58 PM, squirrelarmy said:

Love the Liverpool one - great beer selection and my favourite place to watch football in town - not rowdy at all (for Everton anyway) so can watch it quietly with a nice beer instead of being in a horrible environment

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Love the Liverpool one - great beer selection and my favourite place to watch football in town - not rowdy at all (for Everton anyway) so can watch it quietly with a nice beer instead of being in a horrible environment

It's a wetherspoons now mate. Has been for a few year's. 3 or 4 maybe. No television in there

Edit: i take that back mate. The old one is closed. I didn't even know this new one existed !

Edited by Jay Pee

Went for a pint yesterday as it was our wedding anniversary.

Pub 1 Details taken before being allowed in, fully zoned areas marked out.

Pub 2 No name taken, some social distancing.

Pub 3 Details taken before being allowed in. Fully booked up indoors. Sat outdoors. Social distancing in place.

Pub 4 Details taken. Social distancing measures in place. Though the one way system to the toilets had you going though a door across a dart board oche !!!

Pub 5 Main room was declared full so went in the back room. Not bothered over details gave them anyway.

Pub 6 Details taken before being allowed in, social distancing measures in place. Sat outside. Measures in place.

Weird times. No social distancing in any of the toilets I went in apart from one pub with the one way system but no limit on numbers.

Walked past the final small bar as it was very busy inside and not socially distanced. 

Edited by faymondo