Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

24 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

Got on it today in a couple of pubs that we know well. The restrictions were tolerable yoghurt. Not city centre or even town centre and most enjoyable.

Earlier in the day I was in Chester and an average shit pub had a notice outside saying members only. Spoke to a few mates and this seems to happening across the country. Dafuq?!

I look forward to  standing outside that boozer in 12 months time drinking from a bottle from the offy and flicking the Vs at the landlady through the window.

Fuckin idiots

Thank you Jay Pee, as I need all the help that I can get, so that's appreciated.

I hear what you are saying about 'locals' pubs being for 'locals' only. I think that I can beat that - both me and my wife were walking back from a late night walk, and passed a pub in which there were many people. However, this wasn't that long after pubs had been told to close down in the first place. They don't seem to be giving a fuck at all around here about the coronavirus. They have maintained an open air Saturday market since the beginning of lock down - to the best of my knowledge. Only recently has that market had 'systems' in place to reduce the chance of spreading the virus. I'm pretty sure that some of the fuckers around here would actually heat up liquid covid-19 in a pot and drink it from their own initial engraved pewter tankards. *

* - I once left a small private firm after only two years of working there. They bought me leaving presents. One of them was a pewter tankard with my initials on it. To be fair, they knew that I was a bit of a drinker, and meant well. However, all I can recall is the shock, and almost outrage at being given this piece of shit. In fact, they'd have had more success actually presenting me with a real live No. 2, than give me an initialed pewter tankard. 

In connection with the above, I was once given £150 worth of House of Fraser vouchers from my next employer, as a 15 year long service award. I took these vouchers to spend at Rackhams in Birmingham, which was part of the House of Frazer group. So I got in there and looked up what floor the bloke's clobber was on - gone were the days when I'd go to the lingerie department in there to see if I could muster up a stiffie (that's an attempt at humour, by the way!). Anyway, the bloke's clothing department was on the first floor. So, I went up the escalator to the first floor. You'll never guess what i saw as I got on to the first floor. I saw that there was a bar there (which had only been newly built, I found out later). So, the first thing that i did was to go up to the bar man, show him my vouchers, and ask him ' Do you accept these at the bar'? His answer was yes. 

Oh, fuck me stupid, but that was music to my ears. Now, instead of buying clothes, I could buy red wine by the bottle too. I'm sure that you've already guessed what happened. If you haven't, then please feel free to use the contents of this cartoon to help assist you;

The Adventures of the Brown Bottle, contd. « What's in the glass ...

I can't break down a lot of the last post at this time on a Friday but I seem to recall you have an ear for Henge.

Roll one and watch this. It's takes 10 minutes or so to get going. Proper lolz. Especially after a smoke.

Best thing I have watched in lockdown

6 minutes ago, Jay Pee said:

I can't break down a lot of the last post at this time on a Friday but I seem to recall you have an ear for Henge.

Roll one and watch this. It's takes 10 minutes or so to get going. Proper lolz. Especially after a smoke.

Best thing I have watched in lockdown

Hello Jay pee,

I've copied that, and will listen to it when I get the chance - by which I mean, there would appear to be a heavy duty load of shit I have to 'put out there' right now, which is preventing me. I look forward to watching it / listening to it with some glee though.

In the meantime, get your senses around this;

2 hours ago, Jay Pee said:

Got on it today in a couple of pubs that we know well. The restrictions were tolerable yoghurt. Not city centre or even town centre and most enjoyable.

Earlier in the day I was in Chester and an average shit pub had a notice outside saying members only. Spoke to a few mates and this seems to happening across the country. Dafuq?!

I look forward to  standing outside that boozer in 12 months time drinking from a bottle from the offy and flicking the Vs at the landlady through the window.

Fuckin idiots

I've just spent far too long wondering what "tolerable yoghurt" is before realising you were talking to yoghurt 🤣

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Went to my second pub today after yesterday. A lot more militant, desk with screen at the entrance, absolutely no service at the bar, they ask you if you want to sit inside or outside and take you to your seats. Table service only, then masked bar maids bring you your drinks. If you need a wee then you follow the one way system back round to the entrance and back through the pub do to your seat.

It actually worked really well, takes a bit of getting used to but it all makes sense. 

In some strange way I kind of like how things are at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

I've just spent far too long wondering what "tolerable yoghurt" is before realising you were talking to yoghurt 🤣

I'm sure that there must be a school of thought that would argue that there is no 'tolerable yoghurt' - especially that the sort to be found on a stick, I shouldn't wonder. 

Can I just ask, are pubs legally obliged to be taking contact details for NHS test and trace, or is it optional? Most pubs don’t actually seem to be doing it.

I don’t really get the point of test and trace if only half of the establishments in the country are complying.

Similarly as some hairdressers are wearing PPE whereas others aren’t bothering to wear any at all. There’s a real difference in the level of covid security between different establishments.

Im staying away from most of these places unless I know they have secure measures in place, as a lot of them don’t seem to have implemented any measures whatsoever.

I can see why in theory taking details is good but in practice but what percentage of people who go the pub will get tested, come back positive then want to close down their local by telling the T&T team and how many other drinkers in the pub will self isolate? Got to be pretty slim imo.

Reports this evening of a second pub in Burnham on Sea in Somerset closing just a week after a first due to a customer reporting a Coronavirus case.  Now, with a population of just under 20,000, and current cases in the wild estimated at 1/4000, there's some pretty long odds of 2 of the 5 people infected in Burnham going into 2 different pubs just a few days apart surely?

🤔

You know all this pub closing news actually makes me feel reassured.  If the pubs just stayed open, I'd have images of our numbers just going up and up and up unabated like in America. As much as huge (and I mean really, really huge) mistakes have been made in this country, we seem to be doing better than the States at least.  Obviously we can do better, but the Leicester lockdowns and the pub closures are suggesting that the government is actually taking it seriously. 

In no way do I believe they're pursuing a herd immunity strategy.  They're trying to open up the economy as much as they can whilst keeping the deaths to a "reasonably" low level.  They're doing better with this stage than I would have expected a month or two ago.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
can't -> can
  • Upvote 1

Here in Melbourne our pubs all shut down again for at least six weeks on Thursday as we are well and truly in to our second wave now. Aside from the Melbourne-mini-meet, I didn't take enough advantage of them being open, mostly due to minimising risk at my partner's behest. Our second wave basically started from zero and has grown to have much higher numbers that the first wave. Completely understandable that everything has shut down again for now. It's hard to see how the same thing won't happen in England, where the daily first wave numbers are still higher than our second wave numbers.

Get down yer local and enjoy it while it lasts, if you can.

5 hours ago, sirjonnyp said:

Here in Melbourne our pubs all shut down again for at least six weeks on Thursday as we are well and truly in to our second wave now. Aside from the Melbourne-mini-meet, I didn't take enough advantage of them being open, mostly due to minimising risk at my partner's behest. Our second wave basically started from zero and has grown to have much higher numbers that the first wave. Completely understandable that everything has shut down again for now. It's hard to see how the same thing won't happen in England, where the daily first wave numbers are still higher than our second wave numbers.

Get down yer local and enjoy it while it lasts, if you can.

You’ve had such minuscule case numbers, is it really your second wave or just a continuation of the first?

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

8 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

You know all this pub closing news actually makes me feel reassured.  If the pubs just stayed open, I'd have images of our numbers just going up and up and up unabated like in America. As much as huge (and I mean really, really huge) mistakes have been made in this country, we seem to be doing better than the States at least.  Obviously we can do better, but the Leicester lockdowns and the pub closures are suggesting that the government is actually taking it seriously. 

In no way do I believe they're pursuing a herd immunity strategy.  They're trying to open up the economy as much as they can whilst keeping the deaths to a "reasonably" low level.  They're doing better with this stage than I would have expected a month or two ago.

And that’s further backed up by presumably the next move to make face coverings compulsory in indoor areas. Seems the last thing the government wants is a second wave.

In a months time we could have high volumes of testing, track and trace in place, higher uptake of masks. All of these things won’t stop the first wave having happened, but can stop a major second wave starting up across the country, destroying the economy even more and meaning even more people lose their lives.

Im feeling a bit more confident about the way forwards in the UK from now, yesterday we even had lower cases than Spain and France, which is hugely positive moving forwards.

Went to Hootananny in Brixton last night. Not sure if this is properly distanced but felt safe (prob cos outdoors).
12809148-515b-4ffc-97d6-aed6ffa419f3.thumb.jpg.d65dd2837c0274d9f8422a75a916ee70.jpg
Pop Brixton (street food market) was a LOT more strict than Boxpark. Had to download an app, wear a mask to get in and couldn't leave your table (food was delivered).

55 minutes ago, Homer said:

Went to Hootananny in Brixton last night. Not sure if this is properly distanced but felt safe (prob cos outdoors).
12809148-515b-4ffc-97d6-aed6ffa419f3.thumb.jpg.d65dd2837c0274d9f8422a75a916ee70.jpg
Pop Brixton (street food market) was a LOT more strict than Boxpark. Had to download an app, wear a mask to get in and couldn't leave your table (food was delivered).

I hope they gave out fabric softener bottles :) 

4 hours ago, Homer said:

I've only been there once when I stayed for Soulwaxmas in like 2009 or something. What a night! 

I'm actually in a pub now. It's been pretty good tbf. Everyone respectful. Enjoyed it. 

17 hours ago, august1 said:

I can see why in theory taking details is good but in practice but what percentage of people who go the pub will get tested, come back positive then want to close down their local by telling the T&T team and how many other drinkers in the pub will self isolate? Got to be pretty slim imo.

I agree, I think lots won't tell them.  Even those that do, there will then be people who can't/won't be contacted.  Not saying that means they shouldn't bother, I just think its going to be one more tool in the box to deal with this rather than the be all and end all.

On 7/11/2020 at 1:20 AM, parsonjack said:

Reports this evening of a second pub in Burnham on Sea in Somerset closing just a week after a first due to a customer reporting a Coronavirus case.  Now, with a population of just under 20,000, and current cases in the wild estimated at 1/4000, there's some pretty long odds of 2 of the 5 people infected in Burnham going into 2 different pubs just a few days apart surely?

🤔

Update to this.....the second pub has reopened after the customer did a second 'home' test for CV19 and proved negative.  Good for the pub and all the Customers who would surely have been unnecessarily worried, but not great for PR and the efficacy of home tests.

12 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Update to this.....the second pub has reopened after the customer did a second 'home' test for CV19 and proved negative.  Good for the pub and all the Customers who would surely have been unnecessarily worried, but not great for PR and the efficacy of home tests.

Update further the one person had gone to the the pub and a another bar and the person had contact with the delivery driver of Indian! Both of which have reopened and the pub is also due to reopen after deep clean! As parson jack said second pub customer the original tests were not accurate!! No known new cases in the area today! 

On 7/10/2020 at 11:33 PM, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Went to my second pub today after yesterday. A lot more militant, desk with screen at the entrance, absolutely no service at the bar, they ask you if you want to sit inside or outside and take you to your seats. Table service only, then masked bar maids bring you your drinks. If you need a wee then you follow the one way system back round to the entrance and back through the pub do to your seat.

It actually worked really well, takes a bit of getting used to but it all makes sense. 

In some strange way I kind of like how things are at the moment. 

Were you at Brewdog?

Been in two more pubs today, one for a meal the other for drinks. Both felt well organised and had procedures in place but neither asked for my contact details. Both walk ins too. We were socially distanced at all times though so even if there was a tracing app, it wouldn't alert us based on the contact we've had today. Maybe it's mostly busier places with less ability to socially distance who are being stricter with taking details?

One of my local pubs has put this up on Facebook

YOUR PUB NEEDS YOU!

Firstly, we would like to say a big "Thank you" to all of our customers who have been back to see us this week.

To those of you who are supporters of traditional pubs, please don't make the mistake of thinking "we'll give it a couple of months to settle down before we go back to the pub"... because the little, traditional pubs that you loved before lock down may not survive those two months without you...

All pubs have spent considerable time, effort and money putting in new measures to keep all their staff and customers safe, 

YOUR PUB NEEDS YOUR SUPPORT RIGHT NOW!.. so that we will still be here to look after you in two months time, and beyond.

So... 
Please go back to your local!
Please go and say hello to your landlord / landlady and their staff, and have a catch up with the other regular customers.
Please spend your beer money in a traditional local pub, instead of giving it to a large supermarket chain.

We hope to see you soon!

I was one of those people saying I’m going to give it a few months but I think I will pop over for a few beers soon 

On 7/11/2020 at 1:55 AM, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry old son.. Couldn't help myself.. ✌️