Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

On 7/3/2020 at 10:56 PM, stuartbert two hats said:

Do you want to go to Glastonbury? Then don't go to the pub. Not yet anyway.

That is all.

Edit: unless you work at one. We all gotta eat.

Will there be any left to work at if no one goes?

Not all pubs are packed with drunk people, I went to a country pub for a meal at the weekend and it was completely civilised and all precautions were followed.  What will the impact be if we don't get out there and support local businesses?

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Homer said:

Well, mainly the park recently! We went to the White Hart, which is really nice and has a decent garden space. Also, the Westow is v good and does decent cheap food (and again has a 'garden'). How about you?

White Hart sounds great! Will have to try. Only been to those in CP I mentioned earlier. Don't venture that far south too often. Love the green chain walk though!

21 hours ago, Homer said:

Well, mainly the park recently! We went to the White Hart, which is really nice and has a decent garden space. Also, the Westow is v good and does decent cheap food (and again has a 'garden'). How about you?

5 minutes ago, Clarence Clemons said:

White Hart sounds great! Will have to try. Only been to those in CP I mentioned earlier. Don't venture that far south too often. Love the green chain walk though!

If you head to Croydon again our post-work pint preference is the Bedford Tavern. It'll struggle at the moment I think as the inside is pretty cramped, proper old school dark wood job. Bit of a beer garden out front but not much, but the inside is proper cosy as winter draws in.

Box Park's got a good food range, but because of the bench layout we always find if you've got more than 4 people everyone's too spread out!

So, I braved my local 'spoons last night (please don't shoot me). Some observations for those who maybe haven't ventured out yet.

There are two double doors right next to each other. One marked Entrance, the other Exit. Saw more people using the entrance to exit and vice versa. Barman on the door wasn't bothered.

No drinking outside now if you go for a smoke (which I cannot fathom the reasoning behind).

Steak night Tuesday was still called Steak night Tuesday, but bafflingly there appeared to be no discount on steaks, only other stuff from "the grill" menu. They've totally lost my Tuesday food custom for that move. Also it's now Simple or Signature steaks. Simple being just Steak and Chips (@ £9.90 iirc) and Signature being that plus the usual trimmings but they've now added a whole three onion rings(!).(£12.40).

No more Chicken Wednesday.

No more American Breakfast. (I'm going to miss those as well. Your full daily calorific requirement on one plate. For breakfast).

There was no signing in or detail taking or anything like that.

No enforcing of hand gel use on entrance (which they've had in the other two places I've visited).

Lots of plastic barriers up between tables. Fewer tables. One till for cash and one for cards. Seemed like a proper queuing system was being implemented. One table of seven that had gathered were made to split up, despite protestations that they had all been mixing together for weeks so why (from what I could make out).

They insisted on allocating you a table. I was asked to leave a jacket on a chair or something if I went for a smoke/slash so they could remember it was taken. Most tables were set up for five or six people. I've mentioned this earlier, but this means that little old me is taking up the space of possibly six people whilst only buying one drink at a time. I can see me being declined in favour of larger groups.

The main thing that surprised me was that the staff had been furloughed. I was under the impression that Mr Angry Red Face Gammon had just told them to, "Go and get another job", and that he wasn't going to be bothered with all of that. Apparently only two staff had moved on.

Felt sorry for a couple of them as they had to manhandle a (no older than 20 y.o) lad out of the doorway due to a previous ban for doing coke in the toilets. Pretty sure he was still on it from the way he was. Well that's those staffs social distancing out the window then through no fault of their own..

Glad I didn't venture down that end of town Saturday night, as apparently the police were having to taze people outside the bar up the road.

Passed the place last night and there were about a dozen people in their tiny, tiny smoking area with no way of distancing.

All in all it was less worrying than Morrisons was last Friday afternoon.

Other establishments are also available.

Edited by MrZigster
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Lots of plastic barriers up between tables. Fewer tables.

That explains all the Perspex sheets we saw being carted into our local spoons. Looks like seats have been spaced further apart. Also organised into two, four and eight seated table areas. Other  pubs. Owned by locals, are doing a roaring trade with their outside seating , until it pisses down of course.  Also great to see one of them has their menus chalked on the old portable blackboard I used to have in my classroom. 

6 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

That explains all the Perspex sheets we saw being carted into our local 

Perspex screens.... what a business to be in right now! 

10 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

First pub visit booked (the white hart in castle cary) for the 18th July, two hour slot for 4 people, i have no desire to go where i live in London but a country pub i figured would be a more pleasant experience and a better cider range than you get here.

Nice boozer.  The 'George Hotel' just across and along from there is also very nice 👌 

23 hours ago, Cream Soda said:

Will there be any left to work at if no one goes?

Not all pubs are packed with drunk people, I went to a country pub for a meal at the weekend and it was completely civilised and all precautions were followed.  What will the impact be if we don't get out there and support local businesses?

Exactly.

Whether it’s due to the newspapers or due to social media, for some reason whenever anyone talks about pubs reopening, everyone seems to vision a packed pub of lager louts shouting, spilling beer and fighting.

Whereas the vast majority of the pub experience is a civil atmosphere, the meeting friends and maybe a pub meal.

21 hours ago, Quark said:

If you head to Croydon again our post-work pint preference is the Bedford Tavern. It'll struggle at the moment I think as the inside is pretty cramped, proper old school dark wood job. Bit of a beer garden out front but not much, but the inside is proper cosy as winter draws in.

Box Park's got a good food range, but because of the bench layout we always find if you've got more than 4 people everyone's too spread out!

Cheers, will bear it in mind! Going out for food again Friday night so were going to go back to Boxpark again, but checked and Pop Brixton open air street food market has reopened too. So may pop there instead to mix it up. Need to think of an open air Brixton pub (Hootananny could work well).

1 hour ago, rivalschools.price said:

Exactly.

Whether it’s due to the newspapers or due to social media, for some reason whenever anyone talks about pubs reopening, everyone seems to vision a packed pub of lager louts shouting, spilling beer and fighting.

Whereas the vast majority of the pub experience is a civil atmosphere, the meeting friends and maybe a pub meal.

You can even say the same about soho, the pubs themselves were fine with everyone social distancing. It was because they’d closed off the streets you had everyone congregating outside them.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

7 hours ago, stuie said:

Perspex screens.... what a business to be in right now! 

Perspex is actually the trading name for the acrylic sheeting invented by ICI, it’s name is derived from the Latin to see through. Think it’s now a company on its own.  So when you are in a Spoons and a gang of unruly ruffians are causing bother, just pacify them with that interesting fact.   To avoid breaching advertising etiquette other acrylic sheeting is available.!   I think.  

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Perspex is actually the trading name for the acrylic sheeting invented by ICI, it’s name is derived from the Latin to see through. Think it’s now a company on its own.  So when you are in a Spoons and a gang of unruly ruffians are causing bother, just pacify them with that interesting fact.   To avoid breaching advertising etiquette other acrylic sheeting is available.!   I think.  

Reminds me of this Partridge classic:

image.gif.889c66cac431e47f075fddf7f372e846.gif

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Quark said:

Sorry for the late reply Homer and Quark. Bedford Tavern sounds great, will look out for that. My company has an office in Croydon which is likely to open before the central London office - could be an excuse for a visit!

Planning to have my first Guinness since March this evening! 😍

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Cheers, will bear it in mind! Going out for food again Friday night so were going to go back to Boxpark again, but checked and Pop Brixton open air street food market has reopened too. So may pop there instead to mix it up. Need to think of an open air Brixton pub (Hootananny could work well).

duke of Edinburgh has a huge garden but is often rammo!

3 minutes ago, Clarence Clemons said:

Sorry for the late reply Homer and Quark. Bedford Tavern sounds great, will look out for that. My company has an office in Croydon which is likely to open before the central London office - could be an excuse for a visit!

Planning to have my first Guinness since March this evening! 😍

Enjoy!

Pub's about halfway between E Croydon and W Croydon stations

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bedford+Tavern/@51.3791897,-0.1097033,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xcd2dbf7e09010d76!8m2!3d51.3787879!4d-0.0951121