Don't go to the pub

stuartbert two hats

3 hours ago, gooner1990 said:

Me and my girlfriend pre-booked a Sunday roast at our local for today, first visit to a pub for either of us since mid-March. 

expected it to be quite different with tables moved apart/masks etc but aside from some hand sanitiser at the bar it was as ‘normal’

Even the old boys who perch at the bar were sat there as ‘normal’ 

It wasn’t very busy (not much demand for Sunday roasts in July!) but we couldn’t get past the guys at the bar without getting quite close and no one seemed bothered to not allow them to do it. 

😕 

Similar experience to my wife and I thus afternoon. Found a dog friendly place in Southport for Sunday lunch - all good on the food front. 

Wife commented there werent many precautions put in place, people stood at the bar, unlike another bar we visited the day before for a take out, no screens or staff wearing masks. In the bar bit there must have been a big family of 20 sat together supping 😁

On the the other hand at the 'smallest bar in the UK' the day before you s ty ood behind a line, there were plastic screens between the bar tbder who had a mask, had to put cash down and collect change from a tray, the beer was left at the other end of the bar*

*As you can imagine, that wasn't far away

Said I wasn't going the pub until the madness died down. Walked 4 miles into Liverpool city centre past a few pubs I like (many closed) went to HMV and on the way back succumb to temptation. Had one pint sitting outside The Carnarvon Castle pub in the sunshine. Its a more traditional pub with an older clientele and only chairs for about 6 people outside. 

Enjoyed my pint of Moretti but not sure I'm ready to hit any busy pubs just yet. 

Well this is the most controversial post of made in 12 years of posting on here - and that was in no way my intention. I've come away with a more nuanced view on the topic.

I'm going to stick with "don't go out on the piss" as advice and I'm not personally going to pop to the pub, but I certainly understand why people have decided that they're going to support their locals.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Very quiet during the day (lunch) in Glastonbury over the weekend, in the pubs. 

If it is like this in other smaller towns and villages, it will finish off some for sure (if demand stays this low).

We visited the town yesterday and didn't see one open . Like the social distance car restrictions into the town. The Tor was packed!

• Upvote 1

I haven't been to a pub but our village was busy with tourists yesterday.  I'll give it a month or so, see how things work out, but finding a quiet pub in the summer around here may be tricky.  I do have a reservation at one of my favourite restaurants for when they reopen on 1st August.  That's going to be a hell of a blow out - I've had dreams about that place!  It's also run by a friend so I'm happy to support them.

We have reopened our business though, and currently we are full - there are 10 people staying here.  There's no way we could have afforded to stay closed longer without further government help.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, westholtschic said:

We visited the town yesterday and didn't see one open . Like the social distance car restrictions into the town. The Tor was packed!

The Tor should have a one way system.  Up one side. Down the other!   Thought the who’d a thought it pub wouldn’t have been open. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The Tor should have a one way system.  Up one side. Down the other!   Thought the who’d a thought it pub wouldn’t have been open. 

Totally Agree about the Tor as long as you come down side with the ice cream van 😁

We only went up the Main Street yesterday to show daughter around as we are thinking of moving up from the Shire

Sunday sessions were in full swing. I’ve just seen someone post on my fb feed about a mass brawl in Wetherspoons yesterday so I googled it to try and find a better media source than the Scum. I wasn’t surprised to see in the last 24 hours there’s several videos of fights in Wetherspoons from all across the country.

Nicely done Brits. You make us proud.  

6 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Sunday sessions were in full swing. I’ve just seen someone post on my fb feed about a mass brawl in Wetherspoons yesterday so I googled it to try and find a better media source than the Scum. I wasn’t surprised to see in the last 24 hours there’s several videos of fights in Wetherspoons from all across the country.

This is why we can’t have nice things.

didn't get the chance to visit a pub this weekend, but would have liked to pop in.

in this part of south east London (SE5, SE22) most pubs were open but not overly busy and people were maintaining their distance where possible. This is a reflection of wider lockdown behaviour here, where most people have behaved. Some curtain twitching here and there. Soho, on the other, hand looked ridiculous on Saturday!

pleased pubs are open for those that work in them, and there are lots here so it means plenty of people rely on them for income. and then my personal vested interest of course - I'm looking forward to a proper Guinness later this week! - but this is less important. 

as for wetherspoons - love them! but the owner has shown his true colours and that does tarnish the experience now

i had a lovely lunch at a little pub near me on Saturday.  lots of space, only a few people and everyone at a safe distance.  a few pints some good food then home for a nap.  it was perfect.

30 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

To counter this I'd like to report that my local had no fights, and the beer garden was spotless when I turned up on Sunday afternoon.

Don't judge this country and its people based on those who drinks in Wetherspoons.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Clarence Clemons said:

didn't get the chance to visit a pub this weekend, but would have liked to pop in.

in this part of south east London (SE5, SE22) most pubs were open but not overly busy and people were maintaining their distance where possible. This is a reflection of wider lockdown behaviour here, where most people have behaved. Some curtain twitching here and there. Soho, on the other, hand looked ridiculous on Saturday!

pleased pubs are open for those that work in them, and there are lots here so it means plenty of people rely on them for income. and then my personal vested interest of course - I'm looking forward to a proper Guinness later this week! - but this is less important. 

as for wetherspoons - love them! but the owner has shown his true colours and that does tarnish the experience now

I went to Croydon Boxpark (open air street food market) at about 6pm last night and it was less than half full. Easy to distance.

Went to Crystal Palace later and the four or so pubs I walked past were all pretty dead (Wetherspoons was the deadest, I am glad to report). Had two pints in a pub garden which was empty bar one other group. Surprised that more people were sat inside the pub than in the garden.

1 minute ago, Homer said:

I went to Croydon Boxpark (open air street food market) at about 6pm last night and it was less than half full. Easy to distance.

One of our work lunchtime / Friday post work haunts. Won't be back there for a while as we're not expected to be back in the office until 2021.

Were all the units open?

The pubs had only been open 5 minutes when a group of older boys made fun of my pink bandana.

The establishments that had opened near my flat were rammo saturday and sunday. Lot of people just hugging each other outside Turtle Bay in fact. I'm gonna swerve them all unless my flat gets too hot over summer, then I'll go to the pubs near aston uni, as they'll be quiet.

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

One of our work lunchtime / Friday post work haunts. Won't be back there for a while as we're not expected to be back in the office until 2021.

Were all the units open?

Less than half I’d say - slightly worrying. They were also showing the football in the boombox bar bit which surprised me as I didn’t think they were allowed (I didn’t go it). They had DJs on too. This is how busy it was 

1179EDD6-AAC0-426F-8CAE-42B3F98011A2.jpeg

Edited by Homer

5 minutes ago, Homer said:

Less than half I’d say - slightly worrying. They were also showing the football in the boombox bar bit which surprised me as I didn’t think they were allowed (I didn’t go it). They had DJs on too. This is how busy it was 

1179EDD6-AAC0-426F-8CAE-42B3F98011A2.jpeg

That is pretty quiet, but not really surprising I guess. Is that your normal stomping ground then? Sort a beer out when I'm back in the office :D

Main question, obviously, is what did you go for?  Had to adjust now I've gone veggie, but my top ones in there were Nanny Outar's and Goat. The jerk chicken place also did rum with ting or their own homemade ginger beer; bloody lethal! Staggered out of there a couple of times :lol: